Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AC, do you plan on getting any film or Opti Coat on the car? I am currently debating that myself.

Yes, this is top of mind for me right now. I want XPEL Ultimate on the full front + mirrors. I have 3M on my MDX and have never regretted the extra protection. That said, I am finding myself a little reluctant to lay out more cash right now. Seems absurd given how much I paid for my TMS. I should want to keep the car protected and in pristine condition. But there you have it, something for me to wrestle with myself on for a little bit longer.

Yes, this is top of mind for me right now. I want XPEL Ultimate on the full front + mirrors. I have 3M on my MDX and have never regretted the extra protection. That said, I am finding myself a little reluctant to lay out more cash right now. Seems absurd given how much I paid for my TMS. I should want to keep the car protected and in pristine condition. But there you have it, something for me to wrestle with myself on for a little bit longer.

Once I have the delivery date locked in I'm making an appointment for that day to get XPEL Ultimate and tint installed. The place I'm going is about 1.5 miles from the SC so it'll be a quick drive and then a long wait while they work.

I've got the car scheduled the day after it arrives to get the front bumper, the hood and the A-pillars along with the top of the rear bumper wrapped in XPEL Ultimate. As it turns out this will cost me less than what Tesla offered and provide more coverage. I realize that we've all forked out allot of dough for this car, but in the long run I see this move as saving me money, as I've yet to own a car that hasn't taken damage from rocks in these areas at some point.

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech Pkg | Smart Air Suspension | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Signed 10/30, Delivery: 11/29 @ "High Noon"

We have the clear plastic film on our Sienna and I'll admit, I'm not a fan. You just can't get the same shine level with the plastic and it seems like gets little micro scratches in it that aren't easy to get out. You still see the rock chips, they are just in the plastic and not in the paint. Which is good if you ever plan to remove the film I suppose, but whoever really does that? In the mean time you have a less shiny car and you still have the rock chips. I don't see the upside.

I do plan to hand wash mine the first time and get two or three coats of Zaino on it. That stuff is amazing and nothing will stick to it. The car literally glows with that stuff. Highly recommended and you can do the work yourself.

Nov1st car went into production.

Today my dashboard seemed to flip back:
Order Confirmed
We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S.

VIN:25852
Mine did as well, however my DS told me that my car is in the queue to be painted so clearly there are some bugs still being worked out. At least the VIN listed is correct and has not changed :)
S85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech Pkg | Smart Air Suspension | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Signed 10/30, Delivery: 11/29 @ "High Noon"

Don't worry about the PA numbers. They go down very slowly and they won't use up the allowance by year's end. They will probably bring back $2500 next year.

It is also a 1099 rebate, not all cash. You have to factor that in against your regular income. If in a higher tax bracket, the $3000 is worth about 2000 to you. Take this as an objective little monetary response but if you are worried about 3K you may want to rethink your spending on a $80-110K car which may depreciate $40-50K in 3-5 years.

Don't worry about the PA numbers. They go down very slowly and they won't use up the allowance by year's end. They will probably bring back $2500 next year.

It is also a 1099 rebate, not all cash. You have to factor that in against your regular income. If in a higher tax bracket, the $3000 is worth about 2000 to you. Take this as an objective little monetary response but if you are worried about 3K you may want to rethink your spending on a $80-110K car which may depreciate $40-50K in 3-5 years.
I agree its not much in the scheme of things, but every little bit helps. :)
I thought, for the first time, I will get a buck out of my state, after paying taxes for 25 years..

We have the clear plastic film on our Sienna and I'll admit, I'm not a fan. You just can't get the same shine level with the plastic and it seems like gets little micro scratches in it that aren't easy to get out.

It sounds like you got a cheaper brand of paint protection product.

Xpel is self healing, so you do not get little scratches. And it can be pretty much as shiny as the original paint if treated properly.

It sounds like you got a cheaper brand of paint protection product.

Xpel is self healing, so you do not get little scratches. And it can be pretty much as shiny as the original paint if treated properly.

I saw a Model S with Xpel at an EV Show recently. I could easily tell what part of the car was wrapped and what part wasn't. Lights reflect differently in it and the shine is not the same if you look at an angle. I know that wouldn't bother some people but it would me. I'd see it every time I walked up to my car. I don't begrudge anyone trying to protect their paint, but for me, wrapping it in plastic just isn't something I'd ever do again. I guess if the chips bother me enough, at some point I'd have the bumper repainted for $1300.00 (I got a quote for my old car's bumper for that amount last year).

Last edited:
I saw a Model S with Xpel at an EV Show recently. I could easily tell what part of the car was wrapped and what part wasn't. Lights reflect differently in it and the shine is not the same if you look at an angle. I know that wouldn't bother some people but it would me. I'd see it every time I walked up to my car. I don't begrudge anyone trying to protect their paint, but for me, wrapping it in plastic just isn't something I'd ever do again. I guess if the chips bother me enough, at some point I'd have the bumper repainted for $1300.00 (I got a quote for my old car's bumper for that amount last year).

bareyb,
I'm still in the debate phase of opticoat pro (w/paint correction) vs. Xpel Ultimate wrap vs. both. I'd like to have the paint corrected either way but the Xpel shop here doesn't do that and I didn't want to do the shuffle of car to the opticoat pro installer for paint correction then to the Xpel shop for wrapping (hoping that nothing happened in between) then back to opticoat pro shop for opticoat pro over the wrap. Its my understanding that the Xpel won't really bond to the opticoat pro if you do that first.

bareyb,
I'm still in the debate phase of opticoat pro (w/paint correction) vs. Xpel Ultimate wrap vs. both. I'd like to have the paint corrected either way but the Xpel shop here doesn't do that and I didn't want to do the shuffle of car to the opticoat pro installer for paint correction then to the Xpel shop for wrapping (hoping that nothing happened in between) then back to opticoat pro shop for opticoat pro over the wrap. Its my understanding that the Xpel won't really bond to the opticoat pro if you do that first.

That's my understanding too. If you have never had Xpel I'd recommend seeing another Tesla with it installed. These are extremely shiny cars and if you're even a little OCD like I am you may not like the look. Granted, you really have to look at it to see it, but I can tell and I think the original paint looks better. I'm doing Paint Correction and Sealant, but I'm not going for Xpel.

Production Completed!

Finally! - "Production Completed - Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery"
I was getting a bit concerned what with the status flip-flopping between "sourcing parts" and "in-production".

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production Completed, Delivery: Scheduled for "11/30"

That's my understanding too. If you have never had Xpel I'd recommend seeing another Tesla with it installed. These are extremely shiny cars and if you're even a little OCD like I am you may not like the look. Granted, you really have to look at it to see it, but I can tell and I think the original paint looks better. I'm doing Paint Correction and Sealant, but I'm not going for Xpel.

Somehow I missed responding to this. My friend has a blue with the Xpel on it and I couldn't tell the difference so that's where I'm leaning. That being said I did get red which might show the film more in person. From the pics and vids I've seen of it on a car I couldn't tell anything but that's nowhere near the same as seeing it up close and in person.

Finally! - "Production Completed - Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery"
I was getting a bit concerned what with the status flip-flopping between "sourcing parts" and "in-production".

S85 | Black | Dual Chargers + HPWC | Tech | Air | Sub Zero
Reserved: 9/15, Confirmed 9/24, Production Completed, Delivery: Scheduled for "11/30"
Mine too!!!:tongue:
Production completed today..Started on 11/19
The dashboard, I believe is not updated as often as it is done internally.
But even DS can't tell exactly when it will complete( I spoke to him only yesterday)
Obviously, actual delivery depends on the transportation to SC(east coast-add another week), and whether picking up at SC or delivery to home.
Mine is home delivery( about 230 miles from nearest SC) scheduled for 12/5.

Christmas in Oklahoma

Well, got an email today, pickup Saturday before Christmas in Dallas!! Looks like I will get get to check out the range to bring it home. 253 miles to Tulsa from the SC. :biggrin:

Model S 85kWh | Black | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss Decor | 19" Wheels Primacy Tires | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Ultra Sound | Air Suspension | Twin Chargers | Fog Lamps | Parking Sensors l Extended Leather Trim l Premium Interior Lighting l Subzero Weather Pkg