Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delivery delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Would like to get a sense on the latest model S delivery status in HK. It has been a frustrating experience for me to see continuous delays in my estimated delivery time. I placed the order in end March, confirmed on 8 April and the estimated delivery window was late June-July the time i placed the deposit. Then it was delayed to late July-Aug and now late aug-sept... After over 3 months of order confirmation, my order is still sitting in the production queue and no one would ever give me a proper update on what happened till I asked my DS. And of course, the DS's reply was simply helpless. I'm not optimistic at all for the late aug-sept delivery window as my car is not even in production yet as of today..

Is it what others are experiencing? Obviously this hasn't been a pleasant experience at all.. and not to mention about the poor built quality and the long waiting service center experiences i read in the forum...

Your car has likely been impacted by a slew of continuous factors delaying it like dealing with model X issues, then retooling for the new revised front end and now possibly the new multi camera hardware.
You have to remember they only have one production line currently.

Of course as a consumer, you're free to take it up with the DS, local office or tweet Elon. But on the upside, you possibly have AP 2.0 hardware and by the time you get your car the new service centre will be open.

Your car has likely been impacted by a slew of continuous factors delaying it like dealing with model X issues, then retooling for the new revised front end and now possibly the new multi camera hardware.
You have to remember they only have one production line currently.

Of course as a consumer, you're free to take it up with the DS, local office or tweet Elon. But on the upside, you possibly have AP 2.0 hardware and by the time you get your car the new service centre will be open.

Thanks. Your answer is better than the ds. But still, they could have sorted out all these upgrades in a better way and not at the expense of the customer's waiting time. Having one production line is their problem, or at least, manage the customer expectation better, over promising and under delivering is the worst management.

And yet, I see the US deliveries have been silky smooth, generally they start the production ~1 month after order confirmation.. mine is 3 months and still pending for production.. that's why I'm wondering if others are having the same problem in Hk.

Thanks. Your answer is better than the ds. But still, they could have sorted out all these upgrades in a better way and not at the expense of the customer's waiting time. Having one production line is their problem, or at least, manage the customer expectation better, over promising and under delivering is the worst management.

And yet, I see the US deliveries have been silky smooth, generally they start the production ~1 month after order confirmation.. mine is 3 months and still pending for production.. that's why I'm wondering if others are having the same problem in Hk.

Even for established automakers, +/- 4 months from production to HK arrival is pretty much a given. I waited 7 months last year. Not to say that you shouldn't be frustrated to wait for your car, but given given circumstances that the company faced 1Q and 2Q this year, delays are going to be unavoidable. DS can't really guarantee any dates for you, only thing to do is keep checking mytesla or contact someone US-side with your concern.

Its actually not reasonable to directly compare US production/ delivery times to HK. US production and left hard drive markets gets priority (especially for clients on the west coast). Its less of a hassle for them to fix production defects that way. (on the upside many of the really big problems have usually be filtered out by the time our cars arrive).

Although, local management is a poor reflection of the company overall which is kinda sad because HK is one of the regions with the highest uptake of their cars. Things can only get better though. New service center should help. I'm sure Elon and team are aware of their shortcomings here. Hope they'll get around to addressing it.

The wait is painful we all know! If it helps you to feel better, the actual "in production" is only like 2 or 3 days and should be in yours hands in about a month after the production is complete so late aug is still possible...

My friend ordered his P90D in beginning of June, car is already built and waiting for shipment. Was originally ready in 4 months and now one month ahead. I ordered mine, P90D beginning of July and originally end of Oct, now they are saying end of Sept ( we don't know until then of course )

But at least my friend's unit was one month ahead

Absolutely ! Can't wait

Right, can't wait while the only thing I could do is to check out this forum every now and then lol

MrLeng99, you plan on hiring HKMI to do the inspection upon delivery of the vehicle ?

I actually raised this question to my sales person and see whether I could arrange a third party to inspect the car upon pick up, the sales person told me this is not possible. I'm not sure if he just BS but I haven't discuss about this matter with the DS yet as it's not yet even close to having the car ready yet. Have you already speak about this with your DS or looked into arranging some kind of inspection? Maybe we could do a group buy from HKMI together or something ;-)

As per YouTube videos and after getting in touched with HKMI directly ; Tesla won't allow at their site and I don't want to make it difficult for anyone and be that pain in the butt customer ... I will arrange it after pickup rightaway at the 愉景新城 parking lot in Tsuen Wan ( where their typical inspections have been performed ).

Another friend just ordered a 75D last week and he was told 3 1/2 months also, how come the Frank TSLA 's unit been delayed for so long ??!!

As per YouTube videos and after getting in touched with HKMI directly ; Tesla won't allow at their site and I don't want to make it difficult for anyone and be that pain in the butt customer ... I will arrange it after pickup rightaway at the 愉景新城 parking lot in Tsuen Wan ( where their typical inspections have been performed ).

Thanks Ludicrous27 for your info, I guess since the inspection is not done on the spot, I think I might just bring my knowledgeable friend (not in EV though) to do the pickup together and hopefully I won't find anything major. I will as well try to look up the video that you mentioned and see what might be the typical problem to look at. If there will be problem, sooner or later I will find it, otherwise, it's not a big deal I guess.

tks guys for sharing your thoughts. Good news is mytesla showed my tesla was "in production" last night and when i checked again just now, it says it's "in transit"... i was like, wow the car was built in just 1 day and it was a Sunday.. Tesla probably heard my voice somehow in here jk.

May I know what is HKMI? 2 of my friends had poor built quality when they picked up their car fresh in tsuen wan and one of them just refused to pick it up because the joints and junctions in the frunk and trunk were poorly done etc. They managed to get them fixed in about 1 week time. To me, i will probably just try a few things to make sure key electronic parts are properly functioning and for exterior, i guess as long as it's eye clean i will just take it home. What else would you suggest?

tks guys for sharing your thoughts. Good news is mytesla showed my tesla was "in production" last night and when i checked again just now, it says it's "in transit"... i was like, wow the car was built in just 1 day and it was a Sunday.. Tesla probably heard my voice somehow in here jk.

May I know what is HKMI? 2 of my friends had poor built quality when they picked up their car fresh in tsuen wan and one of them just refused to pick it up because the joints and junctions in the frunk and trunk were poorly done etc. They managed to get them fixed in about 1 week time. To me, i will probably just try a few things to make sure key electronic parts are properly functioning and for exterior, i guess as long as it's eye clean i will just take it home. What else would you suggest?

Frank TSLA, Congrats on the news!

HKMI is a third party inspection company who originally specialized in inspecting second hand car during a buy / sell transaction where the inspector come to a location specified by the customer to get the job done.

If you're not going to use any inspection service, you can look out for body paint defects, body panel and window alignment, under the body scratch, scratch on wheels, scratch on interior trim and other interior parts, dead pixels on the screens ... I guess the list goes on and on if we really have to.... To be honest... It sounds like a joke having to do such kind of inspection for picking up a brand new car and from reading what people are posting, I wonder why these are not being taken care of already by the dealer when they are doing pre-delivery inspection checks (if they have such thing)

I am due picking mine up next week, and some of my friend told me that I should do an inspection by HKMI, as some Tesla body alignment are poor. In fact, I have seen one at my car part, where the edge of the door is about 1cm off the alignment. I was told by the Tesla staff that, I am not allow to do the inspection before picking up the car. I think I should talk to my lawyer and get more info on the sales of goods act, and see my right..

quick update that i've finally picked up my model S over the weekend, things went smooth and all the electronic parts function properly. i notice there is a bit of alignment issue on the passenger front door but i took it home cos it is nothing structural after all =)