Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Event on June 10, 2021 [Rescheduled] - What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk has announced a Model S "delivery event" for June 3, 2021 at Tesla's Fremont, California factory. The event will include the debut of the Model S "Plaid" version.

I'm guessing we'll get some nice surprises during the event. Among other things, I've been pondering whether the refreshed Model S versions will include the 4680 cells. Here's why:

Tesla recently announced the Model Y from Giga Texas will launch with the 4680 cells. Since limited Model Y production is expected to begin this year, might the Model S also include the 4680 cells?

What do you think? Any other Model S surprises lurking in the back of your mind?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Elon Musk has announced a Model S "delivery event" for June 3, 2021 at Tesla's Fremont, California factory. The event will include the debut of the Model S "Plaid" version.

Tesla recently announced the Model Y from Giga Texas will launch with the 4680 cells. Since limited Model Y production is expected to begin this year, might the Model S also include the 4680 cells?
I seriously doubt it. Unless they change their 1+ year timeframe of delivering the Plaid + to this year. Remember the 4680 config is the 500 mile version of the S

Reactions: Tigers
Pretty basic *sugar*:

- Overview of some of the changes

- Probably overview of the yoke/no stalks how that works

- Deliveries to a few VIPs

- Maybe a "one more thing" for a broader audience (reveal of new cybertruck design/prototype/updated look for the Roadster/Semi Update/FSD Update/etc.)

I seriously doubt it. Unless they change their 1+ year timeframe of delivering the Plaid + to this year. Remember the 4680 config is the 500 mile version of the S
Good point, but I suppose Tesla could put in fewer cells for the Model S Long Range and Plaid versions. With the Model S being released so late in the year and with 4680 production more fully scaled by the beginning of next year, it will be interesting to see if the initial iteration of the Model S "refresh" transitions to the 4680 cells mid model run or waits until the next model release (whatever that might be in Tesla terms).

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Good point, but I suppose Tesla could put in fewer cells for the Model S Long Range and Plaid versions. With the Model S being released so late in the year and with 4680 production more fully scaled by the beginning of next year, it will be interesting to see if the initial iteration of the Model S "refresh" transitions to the 4680 cells mid model run or waits until the next model release (whatever that might be in Tesla terms).
Elon was abundantly clear in the Q4 earnings call that the S/X will retain 18650 cells and they’re designing a new battery pack for them. That’s a significant investment and they have zero incentive to rush the transition to another format when there is crushing demand for the 4680 cells in other products they’re trying to bring to market like the Semi, Cybertruck, and Y.

Plaid+ will be the only S with 4680s for many years I suspect. It’s the only model low volume and expensive enough to warrant it.

Reactions: doubleshot and AMPd
I really think Elon knows Tesla needs to have an extra newsworthy event given all that’s going on and with Rivian set to start deliveries later in June and with the recent Lightning reveal. I can easily see a Cybertruck update.
The problem with updates from Elon Musk is he’s so untrustworthy that it may not be all that newsworthy.
Elon was abundantly clear in the Q4 earnings call that the S/X will retain 18650 cells and they’re designing a new battery pack for them. That’s a significant investment and they have zero incentive to rush the transition to another format when there is crushing demand for the 4680 cells in other products they’re trying to bring to market like the Semi, Cybertruck, and Y.

Plaid+ will be the only S with 4680s for many years I suspect. It’s the only model low volume and expensive enough to warrant it.
Don’t forget they owe a *sugar* ton of roadsters to people, surely they’re not in a hurry to give those out lol

I believe Elon was abundantly clear that MS was in production at the earnings call and we would see delivery in February, just me but take it with a grain of salt.
Right. And almost everything else he’s said related to timelines has been unadulterated fabrication, with everything being chronically late. So if you think we’ve gone from him saying something won’t happen for several years to “surprise! Your car has brand new battery cells we don’t even make yet!” then you’re doubly deluded.

The problem with updates from Elon Musk is he’s so untrustworthy that it may not be all that newsworthy.
True about the updates, but anything about the CT would be newsworthy and somewhat-exciting. They shoved the prototype into a museum in NYC and drove it through the streets and it’s all anyone in the EV world was talking about for days. Any update would be newsworthy at this point with as little as all the one million-plus reservation holders have heard since the truck’s debut.

I'm guessing we'll get some nice surprises during the event. Among other things, I've been pondering whether the refreshed Model S versions will include the 4680 cells. Here's why:

What do you think? Any other Model S surprises lurking in the back of your mind?
Most likely not 4680's in the Long Range or Plaid. Elon already commented the new models of S and X will have updated 18650 batteries. These are modified to accept the higher Level 3 Super chargers similar to the Model Y,3 and will have a larger diameter internal power cables. Something could change for the Plaid + in 2022.

I am also optimistic about the 3rd. But I was also psyched when Elon told us the cars were in production and deliveries would begin in February
i believe he will say that plaids are being delivered immediately and will be vague regarding LR deliveries.
But it is quite possible he just might be blowing smoke up my butt

Reactions: Hayseed_MS