Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S delivery gap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I could not see it.

I've ordered a model S through a leasing co on 7/10 and on their tracker they stick a standard 6 week delivery estimate.
At the time the Tesla website was estimating delivery in November , however at the same time as the price drop the delivery estimate on the site went to March 2021.
I can't seem to get an intelligent answer out of the lease co who just say they'll update me nearer the delivery date (whenever that is) .
My question is, are they not delivering any UK MS's for 3 months? Has something happened to cause this gap or are they just focussing on M3s for the UK?

You ask some good questions that we can’t answer! I can be pretty certain the lease companies 6 week timeframe is rubbish. A Model S ordered when you did would be delivered for the end of the year, Tesla are all about quarter ends.

It won’t be a focus on Model 3’s either, they come off a separate production line and have a very different journey here.

The gap between now and March is unusual but not unique, it could easily be a glitch and it’ll revert back to Nov/Dec. OTOH it could be a pre-cursor to the long awaited facelift - that’s anyone’s guess I’m afraid.

I had the same issue with Car Lease Made Simple, apparently they were the brokers and Ogilvie was the leaser. I had signed all the paperwork on 07/10. They also promised me to have the car within 6 weeks (is their standard sale BS) and had the feeling that the lease company was just doing nothing, as the available stock was going down I just reserved privately a Model S with the my spec (was the last one) by paying the £100 and have passed the Lease company the RN number. Even then it took them 4 weeks to sort the delivery with Tesla. The Nov/Dec deliveries are also sold out, my colleague had the same issue but did at the end the same as I did on the Nov/Dec Available for accelerated delivery cars. As it looks like there are no Model S's available for accelerated delivery if the lease company didn't reserve one, then I think you have missed this slot and next slot is around March. Problem is probably your Leasing company, they should give you a Reservation number (if they have placed an order with Tesla) then you can ask more info from Tesla. Try to find out if the Lease Company has ordered your car.

Thanks for your responses, very helpful.
Unfortunately I am currently without a car following a theft, I can manage for a few weeks but 4 months is a bit different.
I did also wonder if resource had had to be diverted to sort out the China recall?
Re the new model, not entirely sure I want to be the first beta tester of a new model from reading others experiences of M3 and MYs
Re shipping, I have spent quite a lot of time trying to guess what ship my car would be on from Mr Miserables excellent thread until he described the difference between M3 and MS shipping!
I think I have missed the boat with reserving one myself so I shall see if I can get the reservation number from the lease co

Re the new model, not entirely sure I want to be the first beta tester of a new model from reading others experiences of M3 and MYs

That was partly why I ordered a replacement for my 3/17 MS, and having had the new one for a couple of months it's much improved - and the first one was excellent. You won't be disappointed despite the comms being pretty poor.

There are loads of rumours about the refresh, and one long running one is whether they will change the interior and move to a landscape screen like in the 3 and Y. I dislike that layout so was another good reason for buying now.

Enjoy the wait ;)

Reactions: GoCardz
There are loads of rumours about the refresh, and one long running one is whether they will change the interior and move to a landscape screen like in the 3 and Y. I dislike that layout so was another good reason for buying now.

Hi DJP

I agree fully re the screens, I much prefer the additional and easily accessible extra information available by having two screens versus a single central one.

Unfortunately, my personal view is that having two, or multiple screens is part of the differentiation between the X/S and the 3/Y. Makes those models more "upscale". However, that logic does not mean Tesla will follow it.

Mockups of the X5 size BMW iX shows multiple screens across the dash, including media control screen for the passenger. The modern architecture of the 3 interior almost does away with a dashboard - this must be a term from horse and carriage era!

Stay safe,

Tony

Reactions: DJP31