Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Goes Terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tweet I sent Elon and Tesla:

@elonmusk kind sir, I’m picking up a new Model S “Raven” black with white interior. My dream car! Grease was smeared all in the car, caked in the white stitching, too. Manager tells agent to tell me “it is what it is.” #Tesla

The delivery center manager was literally the most disrespectful individual I’ve encountered in ages. I have much more to type, but right now still here waiting on a resolution. Is there a customer service center I can call? Nobody should expect mechanic’s grease smeared into their brand new car’s upholstery upon delivery.

Refuse the car.

Do not accept a car that isn’t in the condition you expect. Then they can try to clean the interior, replace the interior, or sell the car at a discount.

While you have your money, you are in the driver’s seat. Once a car is accepted and paid for, it becomes a warranty issue, and since grubiness isn’t a warranty issue, it’ll be your grub.

So, walk away. Order another car if you like. But that one belongs to Tesla.

Refuse delivery until it’s removed. Argh Tesla needs to get its sh-t together on things like this.

Take pics of it all. Unacceptable!

There’s is unfortunately only an email process for this.

If you take the car, you’ve accepted it knowing what’s on it. Did they provide you a deficiency list so you can get it taken care of under warranty?

Is it brand new or inventory??

Reactions: Guy V and afadeev
I think that customer service depends on your service center. I have been treated as good or better than I get treated when servicing my wife's BMW(and BMW treats me well). They always answer the phone, give me accurate info, and are pretty close to the ETA for my service/repair, and they always give me a loaner. When I took delivery of my CPO P85 two years ago, there was a smudge of something on the alcantara. They fixed the issue before they asked me to continue the delivery process. I guess beauty is oin the eye of the beholder:)

Reactions: Petrocelli and SO16
Tweet I sent Elon and Tesla:

@elonmusk kind sir, I’m picking up a new Model S “Raven” black with white interior. My dream car! Grease was smeared all in the car, caked in the white stitching, too. Manager tells agent to tell me “it is what it is.” #Tesla

The delivery center manager was literally the most disrespectful individual I’ve encountered in ages. I have much more to type, but right now still here waiting on a resolution. Is there a customer service center I can call? Nobody should expect mechanic’s grease smeared into their brand new car’s upholstery upon delivery.
don't waste your time here put this in a tweet to Elon & the general twitterverse!! FB too

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Snerruc
I think that customer service depends on your service center. I have been treated as good or better than I get treated when servicing my wife's BMW(and BMW treats me well). They always answer the phone, give me accurate info, and are pretty close to the ETA for my service/repair, and they always give me a loaner. When I took delivery of my CPO P85 two years ago, there was a smudge of something on the alcantara. They fixed the issue before they asked me to continue the delivery process. I guess beauty is oin the eye of the beholder:)
All starts at the top...the dealership mgr or whoever is in chg is prolly a pro at mgmnt or getting things done well

Reactions: Guy V
I’m glad it worked out. When you can, post a picture of that beast.

And you might consider a hood and leading edge wrap, it is much cheaper than a full wrap and it gives you stone chip protection. It also makes road bugs removal easy and worry free.

I got a stone chip on day one driving my new S home from the delivery. I got the wrap very soon after. Now 2 years later, not a single additional chip.

It's too bad there are so many bad SCs which create a black mark on Tesla's brand. My experience has always been very good with courteous and efficient staff at the Devon PA SC -- from delivery to now after 2 annual service visits. Someday, Tesla's overall customer service rating will have a major impact on their sales in a more competitive EV marketplace.

It's too bad there are so many bad SCs which create a black mark on Tesla's brand. My experience has always been very good with courteous and efficient staff at the Devon PA SC -- from delivery to now after 2 annual service visits. Someday, Tesla's overall customer service rating will have a major impact on their sales in a more competitive EV marketplace.
I second the great service at Devon, PA. Never had any issues there...

I’m glad it worked out. When you can, post a picture of that beast.

And you might consider a hood and leading edge wrap, it is much cheaper than a full wrap and it gives you stone chip protection. It also makes road bugs removal easy and worry free.

I got a stone chip on day one driving my new S home from the delivery. I got the wrap very soon after. Now 2 years later, not a single additional chip.

I would also consider wrapping the bumpers. Lots of cars out there with drivers who haven’t figured out how to enter or exit a parking spot. Look at the scrapes on the bumper corners the next time you’re out and think that each one of those with scrapes hit something...

Like another car, like your Tesla.

Have a co-worker who just had that happen to. The service center quoted $3200 for no bumper damage except for what looks like a paint job. But it is his new Model 3 and he is letting the insurance companies figure it out.

I also had a fantastic experience.

My service center quickly replaced my seat upon delivery when I noticed a small crease in the sewing. I didn’t expect full replacement.

Picked up a 2015 CPO in West Palm back in April. Delivery personnel were friendly and efficient but the car was not detailed very well. More importantly though, as I became more familiar with the car on my drive home (Kansas) I noticed the Driver information screen was delaminating, causing the little bubbles to come down and accumulate at the bottom of the screen. In addition the large multifunction screen was delaminating at the top. Apparently both known issues. Pretty disappointed that this is a CPO car and something that bad was not addressed prior to delivery. Having said that Kansas City SC is outstanding, took care of it as soon as I got back. Basically the Sales department decided this would be the Service Departments problem. I am in the car business and would say that Teslas sales and delivery process is pretty substandard. I'm no Elon Musk but his sales and marketing is atrocious. The Tesla is the best kept secret on the road today and having dealerships as prevalent as Chevy or Ford stores to do more test drives, take trades, obtain financing, etc.. would increase their sales dramatically. Only problem (for dealers anyway) is there are very few maintenance opportunities with the Tesla, the lifeblood of a new car dealer.

Picked up a 2015 CPO in West Palm back in April. Delivery personnel were friendly and efficient but the car was not detailed very well. More importantly though, as I became more familiar with the car on my drive home (Kansas) I noticed the Driver information screen was delaminating, causing the little bubbles to come down and accumulate at the bottom of the screen. In addition the large multifunction screen was delaminating at the top. Apparently both known issues. Pretty disappointed that this is a CPO car and something that bad was not addressed prior to delivery. Having said that Kansas City SC is outstanding, took care of it as soon as I got back. Basically the Sales department decided this would be the Service Departments problem. I am in the car business and would say that Teslas sales and delivery process is pretty substandard. I'm no Elon Musk but his sales and marketing is atrocious. The Tesla is the best kept secret on the road today and having dealerships as prevalent as Chevy or Ford stores to do more test drives, take trades, obtain financing, etc.. would increase their sales dramatically. Only problem (for dealers anyway) is there are very few maintenance opportunities with the Tesla, the lifeblood of a new car dealer.

The CPO program ended in April of 2018. What you picked up was a 70 point inspected used Tesla.

The Tesla is the best kept secret on the road today and having dealerships as prevalent as Chevy or Ford stores to do more test drives, take trades, obtain financing, etc.. would increase their sales dramatically. Only problem (for dealers anyway) is there are very few maintenance opportunities with the Tesla, the lifeblood of a new car dealer.
I agree about Tesla cars being the best kept secret on the road today. Although virtually everyone has heard of Tesla, relatively few people understand that (1) Tesla cars are worth every penny, and (2) they might actually be able to afford one.

However, while I believe that Tesla needs to add many more stores and service centers and achieve consistent quality in the delivery process, I don't think Tesla needs anywhere near the number of locations that Ford and Chevy dealers have. If Tesla locations had approximately the same geographic density as Apple Store locations, while adding coverage in some areas far from large cities, that might be about right. It doesn't make sense to overbuild service centers for cars that don't require high maintenance, and sales locations don't need to compete with one another like traditional dealers do.