Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Issue Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of 2020 Tesla model S performance, white on white with carbon fiber early this week. After reading poor delivery reviews, went in with lower expectations but my delivery experience was actually quite amazing, I’d even say better than a delivery of a high-end BMW/Porsche/Mercedes. Tesla did a great job, may have to do with SA/team I was dealing with. First Tesla so I still don’t know basics of charging, how to set up limits, locks, sentry, using the app, play AM (I listen to talk shows) streaming etc.. so I know I have a huge learning curve. Coming from loaded high-end German cars I am really pleased with the interior doesn’t feel cheap for sure. Car has exceeded all my expectations except for 2 issues.

One - I find the noise level of the car to be high during highway driving say >50-60 mph. There isn’t any stream of air coming in due to bad alignment of panels or windows or anything. Service folks said that’s because Tesla does not have an engine, you hear more outside noise and ICE manufacturers due to the presence of engine & other mechanical parts put lot of foam/sound deadening materials in the body. Tesla doesn’t do that because everything that adds weight affects range, makes sense. Maybe I need to get used to noise level, I can see this happening quickly because I LOVE this car and its unbelievable power/quickness!

Two - Which brings me to the bigger issue - When I got home from delivery, I noticed the gap between right rear lid door and the panel to be way too excessive especially as it gets lower to tail light area to a point, I can see the inside, insert my finger etc. left side looks normal. Sent a picture of this immediately to SA who asked me to make online appointment. First available one is in January after my 7-day return policy so I took the car back next day and requested it fixed now and fixed to my satisfaction within 7 days so I have an opportunity to return if I’m not happy. Entire team sales/service went out of their way to get me in right away, tech agreed the gap is definitely excessive & put me in a loaner.

Plan is to disassemble the rear trunk, remove the entire glass, align rear panels & trunk/hatch and install new glass put everything back together. They had glass in stock and are doing the work now (my app tells me car is in service)

If they can fix the gap, install new glass etc. being the car so new would you return while you have the opportunity & order new one or keep it? Would this issue lead to another mechanically or higher depreciation etc that I need to worry about down the road?