Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery - Issue Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post to the forums - wanted a Tesla for a while and finally pulled the trigger last week with second baby on way. Took delivery of the Model S standard range this past Friday.

In terms of the delivery, girl dropped the Model S off at my garage in NYC. I noticed a few things:

1. Few scratches, 2-3 filled in with touch up paint.

2. Trunk misaligned.

3. Driver's side door panel coming off.

Some other small items, these 3 being the large one. I live in NYC and not disillusioned in thinking the car won't get more scratches or dings - but not a great feeling either having an almost $80K car delivered to you with this.

I've read posts in the past - but is this truly normal? I've had many cars before - things happen and am always told it's a Tesla and their production process is still being fixed, etc but seems odd so many people are paying this kind of money for standard issues like this?

I think scratches WITH touch up paint are unacceptable on any new car. No scratch is good but the presence of touch up paint a) feels deceitful and b) may limit the ability of a detailer to remedy the scratch.

Trunk misalignment is also unacceptable. Don’t decide to “live with it” - it will always be a sore - especially in your climate. The SC should be able to help with this.

I also had a saggy door panel at delivery (plus other trim issues) - easily fixed (they’ll remove it and replace all of the clips) - that one isn’t a big deal except for the fact it points to subpar quality control and/or pre-delivery inspection.

Welcome, and best of luck.

Last edited:
I think scratches WITH touch up paint are unacceptable on any new car. No scratch is good but the presence of touch up paint a) feels deceitful and b) may limit the ability of a detailer to remedy the scratch.

Trunk misalignment is also unacceptable. Don’t decide to “live with it” - it will always be a sore - especially in your climate. The SC should be able to help with this.

I also had a saggy door panel at delivery (plus other trim issues) - easily fixed (they’ll remove it and replace all of the clips) - that one isn’t a big deal except for the fact it points to subpar quality control and/or pre-delivery inspection.

Welcome, and best of luck.

I don't disagree. The reality is, I live in NYC and as much as I try my best to prevent dings etc the only time I was able to get away with it is with my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon which is what I traded for the Model S. As long as Tesla documents the issues where I don't get charged, is what it is. I just want the door panel fixed as it's driving me nuts.

Also, with an 18 month old and baby on the way - even with the Wrangler it's impossible to keep immaculate which is what I'm used to.

I don't disagree. The reality is, I live in NYC and as much as I try my best to prevent dings etc the only time I was able to get away with it is with my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon which is what I traded for the Model S. As long as Tesla documents the issues where I don't get charged, is what it is. I just want the door panel fixed as it's driving me nuts.

Is this a lease?

Sounds like you want them to document the damage on arrival so you don't get dinged for it on return?

If so you are going to need that agreed by the lease holder, even if that is nominally 'Tesla' it may not be the same Tesla as the one selling you the car... In short the lease holder is entitled to a damage free car at the start of the lease and for you to pay for damage during the lease so you can't just accept the damage on their behalf.