TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Delivery Issues and Communication Concerns

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by brianman, Sep 10, 2012.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I find this incredibly confusing. Let's say that 749 is delivered before, say, the 500s due to batching. Ok, but that doesn't explain why 749 would start (hence lower VIN number) before the 500s. I'm sure there's a rhyme and reason, but it escapes me so far.

Further, if this bizarreness puts my S552 as VIN > 1000, Tesla is going to have a serious PR problem.

2. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

It means they're batching production as well as delivery. We don't know by what criteria, but if 749 was produced 208th, that means it likely shares some criteria with the ones produced around it. Could be anything, could be dash trim, wheel size, leather color.. who knows.

3. JohnEC

JohnEC S 00443

This is really confusing to me too. I don't think it's a batching thing unless the criteria is really elusive. I wonder if these very high numbers (651, 749, 802) are really "Friends & Family" but just not mentioning it???

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

At this point, I trust Tesla is doing whatever optimizes ramp up time. So while I'm curious, I'm not worried.

Then at P2840 it's easy for me to feel unconcerned about early batching. I'd probably be frowning mightily if I were S350 or some such.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Correct. I'm surrounded by 3 other Sigs who have delivery windows ahead of mine, even though my reservation # is at least 100 ahead of any of theirs. I'd like mine a week earlier but I don't think it's anything I'm going to get worked up about.

6. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

It's seeming like the issue may be performance vs. nonperformance. Soflauthor and Harold S, are you guys performance models?

7. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Could they have different VIN series for different configurations? Like, one for performance and one for regular?

8. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

that's a little bizarre. Sig 92 in Miami and i haven't been officially notified and yet I'm hearing unofficially late Oct.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It will be interesting to see if they speak to the unusual ordering in a future blog post. Not saying they need to, just that it would be very interesting to hear the algorithm or whatever.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

When did you finalize?

11. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Same for me. I'm Sig 304 and haven't heard anything. I have a Sig red performance (not that it should matter). The only unusual part of my order are kids seats in the back, but I'd really hope that wouldn't delay my delivery!

- - - Updated - - -

And I finalized within a few days of getting my email, so that wouldn't cause the delay in production times.

Maybe Tesla just wanted to get SoFlaauthor his car faster so he could finish his opportunity console? ;)

12. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I haven't seen carbon fiber trim reported on delivered Sigs or those that have a delivery date. I could have missed it, though. I wonder if that's the reason. Anyone?

13. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

a day after the test drive in Fremont, which was two days after my "official deadline" but I was given special dispensation by GB so I could drive the car and was assured it would not affect my place in the queue in any way - an assurance which was repeated at the time of my MVP and afterwards.

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

But those that finalized 33 days earlier undoubtedly are getting their cars sooner - it doesn't make sense otherwise.

15. Arnold Panz

Interesting theory.....I've got carbon fiber trim. I can only assume that they've delivered some cars already with CF, but maybe that's the supplier whom Elon is referring to when he complains about the 2% that's really far behind so there's a shortage in the factory.

16. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Mine (picked up Sat) has CF trim. So no indication I saw that CF is an issue.

17. Arnold Panz

Laurent is the real mystery. Sig 2, and he hasn't even gotten the call yet. What explains that? It's got to be a part or supply of something, whether its CF, paint color, or another option (although Sigs don't have too many options, by design).

Someone send out the GeorgB blog post bat signal, stat!!

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I think you're on to something... Anyone know of someone confirmed that us getting the rear facing seats?

19. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

There is one at TeslaMotors.com that I saw. They didn't mention a delivery area.

"September 10, 2012

I am Special Sig #194 and just learned that my expected delivery date is Oct 5-19.

My configuration (essentially fully loaded):
    Performance
    Signature Red
    White Interior
    Carbon Fiber accents
    Silver wheels
    Pano roof
    Spoiler
    HPC
    Paint armor
    Rear facing seats"

20. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

I don't know, but it really does bother me that the company doesn't think stuff like this is even worthy of communicating to their best customers. It's just frustrating and I've raised this issue with headquarters before. Look, if they tell me that there's some part or a white paint shortage or something stupid, but it's something I can understand - okay - I get it. But this idea that they don't bother touching base with you - even after you reach out to them - it gets frustrating and annoying. I had an episode a few weeks ago where I was promised an answer to a question in "a couple of days" - and nobody contacted me. A week later, I sent a nice follow up e-mail - still no response. After two weeks I sent an annoyed email and finally got a response that did not address my question. Finally I got a call from the delivery crew, who even after I explained my frustration - could have contacted me back and said, by the way, your going to be behind a bunch of other people because of "...." - so don't get nervous, we'll deliver by such and such date". Maybe I'm just cranky after a nearly three year wait, or maybe I'm suffering from "why did I get a Sig" syndrome given the premium and delays and lack of the initial promise of "special items not available on production" (I don't count paint or impractical white leather - but understand that some do). Maybe I'm just plain cranky with anticipation. But I don't care how busy they are - I run a business and if my people responded to a customer the way I've been treated lately, heads would be rolling...