Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Since there is a lot of confusion and mis-communication going on with respect to deliveries of the Model S, I thought I would start this thread so that people who are just about to get delivery make sure they have some sort of check-list about what they should go through/expect during the delivery and don't need to spend hours through the forms to make sure they covered everything (because Tesla employees are sure to forget some things).
I'll be taking delivery of my P85 on Friday 4/19, here are some things that I'll be on the lookout for, please let me know if I missed anything:
  • P-85 badging on the back of my Model S (or on due bill)
  • NEMA 6-50 adaptor and High Power Wall Connector on due bill
  • Carbon Fiber spoiler (or on due bill)
  • Front/rear mats for the Model S (or on due bill). Elon said that they are putting these on the cars now and that old owners can get them during their next service
  • Proper cleaning and detailing of the car (I have heard all the complaints of cars coming in messy and not clean, if that happens I'm sending it back)
  • Alcentra headliner (I heard a lot about headliner etc., what exactly is it?)

Is there anything else I'm missing?

You should get a 6-50 adapter option if you've got a HPWC on order. Just want to make that clear, since the post by itself implies they are just giving those away.

Rear mats may have been a mistaken tweet; IE nothing really official yet.

Messy car should be detailed. "Sending it back" implies return... which might make another reservation holder pretty happy since Tesla would then have a non-turned-over car ready for delivery.

Headliner with Performance should be a suede like substance called Alcantra. It is just like the side bolster seat material on the seats, only light colored for the headliner. While you're at it you might as well verify that it really is the car you ordered; correct wheels, seats, battery, accents.

NEMA 6-50 adaptor and High Power Wall Connector on due bill

I got the 6-50 when I picked up the car, as soon as I mentioned I had a HPWC on order. Since it's supposed to tide you over till the HPWC arrives, it'd be a shame if the 6-50 were on the due bill as well as the HPWC being on back order! ;-) That said, if you have a 14-50 outlet and not a 6-50, well, the 14-50 is included regardless, so it wouldn't matter.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Rather than reinvent the wheel, there's a checklist someone posted to the Tesla Motors forum: this checklist. It's quite detailed. I think it's a private thread (i.e., you must login to read it). It was useful to me, though overkill in some areas--some things were early delivery issues but ironed out by Tesla, so there're a few oddities on the list. Still, it never hurts to go over things in detail, eh?

Congrats on your upcoming new car!

I received he 6-50 with the car. The high power wall unit was delivered to my house about 5 days afterward. The staff handling my delivery followed up on the wall unit, and did a great job. My only down point on delivery was the outside of the car was dirty. It was delivered to NYC from NJ on a flat bed, and was a bit dirty with a bunch of hand smudges. All else went well though. Washed the car when I got it home!