Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery / Strategy Change / Connecting to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only after I've got the car settled in will I invite friends over to check it out.

Me too. I've never driven an electric vehicle so may need time to get used to things like regenerative breaking. Anyone has an experience to share? Does it take getting used to? Would you hand the keys to any of your friends who wants to drive your Model S or would you first give instructions?

Me too. I've never driven an electric vehicle so may need time to get used to things like regenerative breaking. Anyone has an experience to share? Does it take getting used to? Would you hand the keys to any of your friends who wants to drive your Model S or would you first give instructions?

Eh, I think it's more how much you trust them. I stopped letting almost anyone drive my Roadster when my neighbor floored it up to 120mph on a neighborhood road with me in the passenger seat screaming "stop!"

The regen is different, but it's not so different that you're likely to have an accident. It just stops faster than you expect when you come off the accelerator.

Eh, I think it's more how much you trust them. I stopped letting almost anyone drive my Roadster when my neighbor floored it up to 120mph on a neighborhood road with me in the passenger seat screaming "stop!"

The regen is different, but it's not so different that you're likely to have an accident. It just stops faster than you expect when you come off the accelerator.

Wow. Some neighbor. That's crazy someone would do that in a neighborhood, in someone else's car and without asking too.

Last edited:
Getting home delivery will save me >$1,000 in sales tax. With that my family can nip up to Freemont for the factory experience later and still come out ahead.

I was under the impression that if the car is registered in California, you pay the sales tax for where it's registered, whether or not you pick it up from the factory. It's out-of-state buyers who have to pay the Fremont sales tax if they pick it up at the factory. Could be wrong, but I read that somewhere on this forum.

I've said it before... getting used to the regenerative braking on the Roadster took precisely one stop light. It's very natural.

That said, it might feel more familiar to you if you've ever driven a manual transmission, as you would be more used to engine braking. It feels rather like a manual driving in double-first gear - only smoother.

Ditto. I hope that they've got a Mac version of the software or that the Model S simply allows itself to be loaded as a network drive. Actually, that would be great, load the drive, drag n' drop the music (in the correct format of course) and you're done (eventually)

It's possible the Model S will have its own light-weight web server that allows the software to run as a web app. This would mean any modern web browser would do just fine, and would be independent of OS.

VERY unlikely that there will be an Ethernet port on the car. You should be able to buy and install a low power "B" wi-fi on the far side of the garage and link it via Ethernet to the main connection. Then you should have the same exposure as if your neighbor had wi-fi.
Thanks. I do not have a garage but hope to move within the next 1-2 years. May build a carport in the interim.

I was VERY selective about whom I would let drive my (manual) Corvette. Lots of chances to break stuff even without crashing into something. But w/ the Roadster (and Model S) there is simply no way to break the car short of actually crashing into something. Car completely cold? Feel free to floor it (never do this in an ICE). Can't drive a manual transmission? No problem, there are no gears. It's dead simple. I let people I barely know (coworkers) drive my Roadster and never had a problem. Riding is one thing but people don't really "get it" until they drive and feel the instant power response of electric. Some people are afraid of driving "such an expensive car" (my father in law was like this) but that's the beauty, it's not like a Ferrari or something where you can harm the car by operating it wrong.

As Doug said, the regen is extremely intuitive. And worst case they'll just stop short of the light. The car will light the brake lights during heavy regen so other drives will be aware that you are slowing.