Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery / Strategy Change / Connecting to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will this work in a Condo? My living unit is far from my under ground parking spot. Not sure how the S will get on my home network….help!!
I think you may be screwed and need to use a laptop plus local wireless (bring your router to the car rather than the car to the router) for the transfers.

I plan to hook my car up to work wireless and home wireless.

I think you may be screwed and need to use a laptop plus local wireless (bring your router to the car rather than the car to the router) for the transfers.

I plan to hook my car up to work wireless and home wireless.
Also I assume you could purchase a data plan and push stuff over the 3G/4G connection. Most of those have a 5GB/month or so cap on them now but that's a fair amount of data. You could do the initial upload with a couple trips on a thumb drive.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Even if the location that you can run the Ethernet cable doesn't have power, say the eaves of your house or something, you can also buy a wi-fi router with POE (Power over Ethernet). So all you have going to the router is the Ethernet cable.

You should be able to get someone to set up something that works for around $500-$600 at most.

Even if the location that you can run the Ethernet cable doesn't have power, say the eaves of your house or something, you can also buy a wi-fi router with POE (Power over Ethernet). So all you have going to the router is the Ethernet cable.

You should be able to get someone to set up something that works for around $500-$600 at most.

Just went into the building's garage with my laptop. Turns out I do have reception here. Perhaps through the ceiling. Sorry, false alarm, thanks anyhow. Posting from the garage. :)

Will it work with any router?? I use an airport extreme router

If it's a recent Airport Extreme, then one of the little Airport Expresses can be set up in slave mode pretty easily, and that can extend the range. Latency's a little higher due to the relay, but not bad. Slave mode doesn't work across brands, though - it's a lax part of the standard (I've got two expresses to do cheap-bastard whole-house audio w/ Airfoil - I was disappointed I couldn't get slave mode working with the NetGear router, but the router is solid as a rock, so I'm not trading out without a good reason).

As for the Model S, I would not allow it onto a non-guest network - most higher end routers allow for a guest network mode and isolate that traffic off the LAN.

I'm curious if you can't use other wireless networks to update. I mean do you HAVE to update at your house?

Why not do it at starbucks, panera bread, or McDonalds, or park close to an AT&T store after hours ? Yeah, it's kind of crappy in terms of signal strength, but it's a work around

Or if you really want to be fancy add like 5 repeaters and tweak the settings for your router, you'll be broadcasting pretty far. You really don't need speed or care about latency. I tried it with a few repeaters and was getting wireless networks from 1000 ft away

Only slightly OT, I heard a piece on NPR a while back talking to a librarian, who noted that one strange side-effect of the recession was a noticeable population of people sitting in their cars parked near the library using the library's WiFi from their notebooks/iPads. Free bandwidth!

Delivery question

If you choose to have the car delivered to your house, what is the process? Do they just drop the car off? Or will there be some type of process? When you pick up at a location they go over everything with you and the car is detailed.

If you choose to have the car delivered to your house, what is the process? Do they just drop the car off? Or will there be some type of process? When you pick up at a location they go over everything with you and the car is detailed.

They'll deliver the car wherever you want from what I understand (home, work, hotel on vacation...etc). They're supposed to spend time with you going over the car and walking you through things. Very different than the Roadster. Someone dropped the car off, had you sign some paperwork then took off. I think people will like the delivery process.