Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Times Now 8+ Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week (end of June), a new Model S was estimated to deliver in the late July/August time frame. Fast forward a week and now Tesla's website says September delivery.

What gives? Major hardware change?

The Big 3 automakers typically have a 2 week shutdown in August to implement model year changes and stuff. Would that be the case for Tesla as well?

I am concerned as well as I am getting ready to order this week. Now I am concerned I should wait a couple months or in the minimum a couple weeks.

September seems a bit far fetched considering their recent timeframes making me think something is on the horizon?

FWIW, I ordered on 6/28. It said September delivery then.

It just got auto-confirmed tonight (7/6; I happened to look at the MyTesla page a few minutes before midnight, and then when I refreshed a few minutes after, the edit button had changed) and it now says late July-August.

One thought is that they could really set the sights on making over 60% Model X due to its larger backlog and slowing-up Model S builds during July. Europe hasn't been served much with their few-thousand Model X orders going way back over 3-years. In Sept 2015, Europe Production Model X series reservation numbers were up to 4300. China was 2600 in July 2015. Canada was 1300 september 2015. Must be more since then. There was a TMC tracker spreadsheet watching those. They need to build a lot of Model X and those sell for a higher price than the large amount of 60s recently ordered up by MS buyers.

I thought when right-hand drive cars are manufactured, they came in bunches.

So the cars for UK, Australia, Japan, etc. take over the entire production line and and are the production focus during those time periods.
There are some slightly different electrics/plugs for charging, EU lighting (standards), certainly dash and driver's door panel configurations and steering wheel/pedal set-ups, and IIRC even windshield wipers (opposite hand to U.S. versions).

Cars being manufacturing for the U. S. need to wait their turn while products for other markets are being produced.

If you look at the monthly plug in scorecard for US EV sales:
Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Tesla always delivers fewer domestic cars in the first month of a quarter and many more in the last month. Early on (scroll down for previous years) the trend wasn't as pronounced, but it's been very dramatic so far this year. Tesla is selling cars to more countries now, so US orders get pushed to the back of the line early in a quarter.

If you want fast US delivery, order at the beginning of the last month of a quarter. Those cars get delivered in about 3-4 weeks. If you want fast, but not face the risk of getting a car that was rush jobbed, order near the end of the first month or beginning of the second month of a quarter. Those cars are usually delivered in 5-6 weeks.

Be glad you live in the country where they are built. The poor folks overseas need to wait 1-2 months just for shipping. Then there was the poor guy in Switzerland who waited over 3 months and his car got rear ends on the way home from delivery.

Maybe the giga factory has something to do with it considering EV cell production is starting very soon right? Wasn't there a opening party announced. Maybe the MS and MX will start getting the new improved batteries? If the p100d is anything to go by we can expect a 5-10% improvement over the old batterie.

Last week (end of June), a new Model S was estimated to deliver in the late July/August time frame. Fast forward a week and now Tesla's website says September delivery.

What gives? Major hardware change?

The Big 3 automakers typically have a 2 week shutdown in August to implement model year changes and stuff. Would that be the case for Tesla as well?

This may be a brilliant marketing move. It's hard to say you are capacity constrained, when you have immediate delivery.
This thread mentions hundreds of inventory cars available at substantial discounts Model X inventory car purchase

I haven't heard Tesla talk about being capacity constrained for a while. They don't want to admit to being demand constrained if that's the case. It would be bad for the stock price. The incentive programs and the reintroduction of the 60 are both moves to stimulate demand.

Tesla always has some inventory cars built for test drives and to sit in stores. They cycle through those cars pretty fast so there are always some available for purchase. I think they may be building a few more inventory cars in the last 6-8 months.

Reactions: bonaire and Genshi
Also have a new S60 on order. Confirmed and got VIN 150xxx on 29.June. Still no new status update about production or delivery date yet. I have been tracking their VIN numbers for a while and it has slowed down big time for model S.

My guess there is indeed Osborne Effect at work here since Model 3 reservation started. New S60 was probably never really planned but as last resort to rescue falling sales.

I am not a Tesla basher. Quite the opposite. Long couple of TSLA shares since some time. Just want to share my objective observation.

• Informative
Reactions: Genshi
Also have a new S60 on order. Confirmed and got VIN 150xxx on 29.June. Still no new status update about production or delivery date yet. I have been tracking their VIN numbers for a while and it has slowed down big time for model S.

My guess there is indeed Osborne Effect at work here since Model 3 reservation started. New S60 was probably never really planned but as last resort to rescue falling sales.

I am not a Tesla basher. Quite the opposite. Long couple of TSLA shares since some time. Just want to share my objective observation.
The beginning of the quarter is always slow for domestic orders. Sales of the Model S have not dropped at all as a result of the Model 3, in fact, they have increased. Throw the new 60 on top of that and I think the 3rd quarter will be really good for sales.

Thought I'd add to the noisy data points here. I might have just picked the right date to play my order:)

I had ordered the car on June 10th, changed the configuration a few times in the next week. The my order got confirmed on June 17th, VIN was assigned on June 17th itself, and I am taking delivery on Jul 11th. I am in San Diego and I had ordered a Model S 60.

I had ordered the car on June 10th, changed the configuration a few times in the next week. The my order got confirmed on June 17th, VIN was assigned on June 17th itself, and I am taking delivery on Jul 11th. I am in San Diego and I had ordered a Model S 60.

How long after your VIN was assigned did it take for you to be contacted and to obtain a delivery date? Mine has a DS assigned (actually, had one, and then it changed, since I saw a different name on the My Tesla page), but I haven't heard anything yet. Of course, it only just got confirmed yesterday at midnight.

How long after your VIN was assigned did it take for you to be contacted and to obtain a delivery date? Mine has a DS assigned (actually, had one, and then it changed, since I saw a different name on the My Tesla page), but I haven't heard anything yet. Of course, it only just got confirmed yesterday at midnight.
Right now, I would guess that it's going to be at least three weeks. I got my VIN yesterday so I will be happy if the car is in production by the end of the month.

I don't see any slow down. My VIN was issued the first week of May and it's a 142xxx VIN. 8000 cars in two months is an average of 48,000 for the year, only a small difference from last year's total. Tesla was predicting 60% of sales would be Model X by the end of this year, but with all the problems they've been having, I think X sales are slower than expected. Some of those are being converted to Model S sales, but most are just sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if the problems get worked out soon.

Thought I'd add to the noisy data points here. I might have just picked the right date to play my order:)

Congrats. Your data point is probably the most relevant one I have, and it is good to see. It does seem like June was the sweet spot for speedy deliveries. I would love to know how your pickup at the SD service center goes on 7/11. If you have been there before, you know that you don't want your car sitting around there any longer than necessary. It is really crowded with vehicles and the environmental conditions are awful with a rock quarry next door spewing up dust all day and Eucalyptus trees surrounding the property. Please post or PM me with the details of your pickup. Thanks.

VIN was assigned on June 17th. Online account showed the status updated to "IN PRODUCTION" around June 29th or June 30th. The online account showed "IN TRANSIT" on July 6th and the DS contacted me later that day to schedule a July 11th delivery.