Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Times Now 8+ Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats. Your data point is probably the most relevant one I have, and it is good to see. It does seem like June was the sweet spot for speedy deliveries. I would love to know how your pickup at the SD service center goes on 7/11. If you have been there before, you know that you don't want your car sitting around there any longer than necessary. It is really crowded with vehicles and the environmental conditions are awful with a rock quarry next door spewing up dust all day and Eucalyptus trees surrounding the property. Please post or PM me with the details of your pickup. Thanks.

Yes, I have been there a couple of times before to check out the different colors of the car during daytime, when parked outdoors. Not even one car was dust free and that rock quarry next door is concerning. The service reps have been really great so far, though.

Actually Illinois will charge the difference if I don't pay as much in Cali as I do in Illinois. Cali is a greater tax rate so no illinois tax. Still more but at least not double.

Not double, and might be worth it in terms of experience. 9.5% in Fremont and 6.25% in Illinois. Buying a 100,000 product would be an additional $3,250.

I believe the interstate commerce laws prevent states from charging you sales tax in a 2nd state for something you bought in another state. But they can charge you extra if the sales tax is higher in the 2nd state or ding you again for fees you paid in another state.

I ran into that when I moved to Washington and went to register my car bought in California. They wanted proof of the sales tax I paid in California, but I didn't have the documentation for it, so they were going to charge me Washington sales tax because I couldn't prove I had ever paid sales tax on the car. After going a few rounds with them, they agreed that I couldn't have registered the car in California without having at least paid state sales tax (they wouldn't accept local, even though I had proof where the car was registered before and at that time the local sales tax was the same in every county in CA). So they calculated the CA state sales tax on the amount I paid for the car at 4.5% and then calculated the current value at the 8% rate currently being charged in my part of King County, but they depreciated the car to the current Kelly Blue Book value which came in just under the 4.5% of the original sales price. So I just made it and didn't have to pay Washington sales tax to transfer the title. They did ding me for everything else they could think of though.

This was in the late 80s and the car registration fees are very different in Washington today, but I believe the sales tax thing is still valid.

For people who live in states like Oregon with no sales tax, or states with lower sales tax rates than California (most state these days), picking up at the factory is a bad deal because you will be paying California tax instead of your state tax. However, I don't know if picking up at the factory has any other registration fees like a CA temporary transportation permit, or a temporary registration. You could get dinged twice for those going back to your home state.

I thought about picking up at the factory but the sales tax difference was about $1000 more.

I believe the interstate commerce laws prevent states from charging you sales tax in a 2nd state for something you bought in another state. But they can charge you extra if the sales tax is higher in the 2nd state or ding you again for fees you paid in another state.

I ran into that when I moved to Washington and went to register my car bought in California. They wanted proof of the sales tax I paid in California, but I didn't have the documentation for it, so they were going to charge me Washington sales tax because I couldn't prove I had ever paid sales tax on the car. After going a few rounds with them, they agreed that I couldn't have registered the car in California without having at least paid state sales tax (they wouldn't accept local, even though I had proof where the car was registered before and at that time the local sales tax was the same in every county in CA). So they calculated the CA state sales tax on the amount I paid for the car at 4.5% and then calculated the current value at the 8% rate currently being charged in my part of King County, but they depreciated the car to the current Kelly Blue Book value which came in just under the 4.5% of the original sales price. So I just made it and didn't have to pay Washington sales tax to transfer the title. They did ding me for everything else they could think of though.

This was in the late 80s and the car registration fees are very different in Washington today, but I believe the sales tax thing is still valid.

For people who live in states like Oregon with no sales tax, or states with lower sales tax rates than California (most state these days), picking up at the factory is a bad deal because you will be paying California tax instead of your state tax. However, I don't know if picking up at the factory has any other registration fees like a CA temporary transportation permit, or a temporary registration. You could get dinged twice for those going back to your home state.

I thought about picking up at the factory but the sales tax difference was about $1000 more.

I have to be careful when buying out of state because of the vast difference in sales tax for South Carolina vs all the states around me.