Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered May 29th, VIN on June 14 and delivery today, June 28. Everything went well with delivery and as expected ... so it was good that I expected for Ludicrous not to be enabled ... waiting for software update.

Coming from a 2015 85D, I can't say enough about how much the cars have improved over the past four years, plus the Raven upgrades, especially the adaptive suspension, are really good. It's smoother, quieter, quicker, goes further and the build quality is great. Came with AP HW3 and Sentry seems to work really well.

Your delivery process was way quicker than mine - but I'm in Europe so that's probably why. I ordered May 28, but just got my VIN today (July 11). Car has not been shipped yet overseas, so I guess I'll have to wait at least another 1-2 months before picking up my new baby.

Seems you and I have made almost the same decisions over the years; I had a 2015 P85D which I'm now trading for a 2019 Performance L FSD Raven. :)

Reactions: jdw
Your delivery process was way quicker than mine - but I'm in Europe so that's probably why. I ordered May 28, but just got my VIN today (July 11). Car has not been shipped yet overseas, so I guess I'll have to wait at least another 1-2 months before picking up my new baby.

Seems you and I have made almost the same decisions over the years; I had a 2015 P85D which I'm now trading for a 2019 Performance L FSD Raven. :)

Sorry your wait is so long, but I think you're really going to enjoy the new car! Suspension aside, the range/efficiency is also amazing - yesterday I hit 140 wh/km over my two trips to work and back. At 750km my "lifetime" average is around 180. Pretty incredible for a P car ....

Reactions: Electric700
Sorry your wait is so long, but I think you're really going to enjoy the new car! Suspension aside, the range/efficiency is also amazing - yesterday I hit 140 wh/km over my two trips to work and back. At 750km my "lifetime" average is around 180. Pretty incredible for a P car ....
Wow, those are very impressive numbers and significantly lower vs my previous P85D that almost never went below 200...

You won't be disappointed, especially if you're coming from an ICE car. The long range is a very quick car, faster than anyone needs most of the time and the extra range is a very practical & useful thing. That said, if fast cars are your thing, Performance L's have never been priced lower and no one ever regretted having a faster car. The driving experience *is* on another level. If you're questioning your choice, you should try to organise a test drive to see if that level matters to you.

You won't be disappointed, especially if you're coming from an ICE car. The long range is a very quick car, faster than anyone needs most of the time and the extra range is a very practical & useful thing. That said, if fast cars are your thing, Performance L's have never been priced lower and no one ever regretted having a faster car. The driving experience *is* on another level. If you're questioning your choice, you should try to organise a test drive to see if that level matters to you.
That’s definitely good to know - thank you. How long do I have before I could upgrade to a performance? I just placed my order yesterday but nobody from Tesla has reached out to me. And yes...I’m coming from an ICE car. Do you actually ever use any of the Performance features in daily driving or is it more just a “show your friends” type thing that’s seldom utilized? Thanks again.

You can (easily) change your order up until they assign a VIN, certainly a window of a few days if not a week or more.

I drive in Ludicrous most of the time when alone, but I also do use Chill a lot, mostly with passengers as the full on acceleration can be uncomfortable for them. You can moderate Ludicrous with the go pedal, but it is twitchier - very easy to accelerate faster than you intended. Can be disorienting if you are not the one driving.

I have never done a launch or used Ludicrous+, and unless you often go to a track, it would likely be or become a "show your freinds" thing that you would only occasionally use once the novelty wears off. Part of my not doing a launch is that it has been hard to find a place where it is safe to do it. Oddly, having a performance car has made me drive slower and more carefully much of the time ... somehow knowing that you could leave anyone on the road in the dust makes me drive less aggresively.

Day to day though, the instant power Performance gives you to overtake, accelerate on a ramp or get around slowpokes is great & fun to have, but again, the Long Range has that kind of power too, especially compared to other cars on the road. Punching Long Range will pin you in your seat, punching Performance Ludicrous is a whole different experience.

Last edited:
I Ordered a new midnight silver metallic standard range 7-14, two days before it was discontinued . Delevery originally scheduled for tomorrow (7-30) but I got a call Saturday (7-27) from the delevery center saying my car was Ready! I couldn't go in on the short notice so I rescheduled for today, but during delevery my wife noticed the roof had a large crack.

Tesla had the glass in stock so they replaced it today and I'll go back to pick it up in the morning. In the meantime they gave me an 85D loaner.

Reactions: rafacq and dc_h
I Ordered a new midnight silver metallic standard range 7-14, two days before it was discontinued . Delevery originally scheduled for tomorrow (7-30) but I got a call Saturday (7-27) from the delevery center saying my car was Ready! I couldn't go in on the short notice so I rescheduled for today, but during delevery my wife noticed the roof had a large crack.

Tesla had the glass in stock so they replaced it today and I'll go back to pick it up in the morning. In the meantime they gave me an 85D loaner.
Day 4 and I got my first broken door handle , I was able to schedule mobile service for early next week.

Did you order a Model S? I also thought the handles issue was resolved with the new design!

Did you order a Model S? I also thought the handles issue was resolved with the new design!
Yep, Model S. The mobile tech thought it was a calibration issue. He ran it through another calibration and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

Also, one of my key fobs wasn't actually linked to the car. I had to have the tech link it for me... He said there was a 2nd key registered but it wasn't the one they gave me at delevery. He figured it got lost somewhere before delevery and they replaced it with a new one but never set it up.

All smooth so far. Front bumper license plate frame was gouged somehow but it’s coming off ASAP anyway.
App fired right up next to my old car. Keys work. Didn’t come with a 240v adapter I found that odd. Also no iPhone charger in the center console, that’s done? Just open USB ports.

First impression - noticeably faster than my facelift p90dl, smoother, will miss the sunroof (who cares about a glass roof who is staring up there while driving?), quieter, and the screen/entertainment all works MUCH faster and smoother.

Slacker isn’t working...invalid account try again later (because not premium, I get it), but pressing Use Tesla account says same thing. Does it take a day to activate or something? Last car was instant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric700
All smooth so far. Front bumper license plate frame was gouged somehow but it’s coming off ASAP anyway.
App fired right up next to my old car. Keys work. Didn’t come with a 240v adapter I found that odd. Also no iPhone charger in the center console, that’s done? Just open USB ports.

First impression - noticeably faster than my facelift p90dl, smoother, will miss the sunroof (who cares about a glass roof who is staring up there while driving?), quieter, and the screen/entertainment all works MUCH faster and smoother.

Slacker isn’t working...invalid account try again later (because not premium, I get it), but pressing Use Tesla account says same thing. Does it take a day to activate or something? Last car was instant.

Congrats! You should let them know that you miss the sunroof option and would like to see them bring it back.

Tesla has a horrible feedback system. When the best way to tell them something is to tweet the CEO and have a check mark next to your name to increase likelihood of response...kinda sucks. To your point tho - I definitely told them multiple times and even asked if I could special order with it. Glass roof is totally gimmicky, give me something functional (or at least the option) ...but as with most things Tesla, minor in the scheme of things, car is so so so much better than anything else at so many other things, you overlook it.

Congrats! You should let them know that you miss the sunroof option and would like to see them bring it back.