Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re absolutely correct about the tax credit crunch. When I ordered my 2018 Model S I received a VIN within 4 weeks. This time I hadn’t been notified up until the day before I took delivery, yesterday. I think the failures/problems are at Fremont. My DS had no idea who was getting their car until the rolled off the truck. That said, the car is flawless and the delivery process, once the previously mentioned firmware issue was resolved, was smooth. Since I was coming off a relatively new Model S I didn’t require a walk through.

I do suggest you make an inquiry on the chat section. It saved me a week because I had been tentatively scheduled for a 12/27 delivery.

Where is the live chat option? I do not see it on my account page anywhere.

I picked up my Model S today at Costa Mesa and for the most part was very pleased. Paint looks perfect and the car is amazing! There was one issue I encountered when I got home where every time I would close the trunk, it would close and then go right back up. Every single time. Looking at it closer, the trunk or latches are very misaligned. When latching it is pulling the trunk down and then to the left. When forced closed, there is a large gap on the right but the left side looks OK. (Photos to follow). I called the Delivery Center and they said to make a Mobile Appt and state I just took delivery today and maybe they can come out. I made the first available apt. for 1/2/20. Not being satisfied, I got upset and called back and stated it needs to be fixed asap or I would be returning the car. They agreed to allow me to bring it in tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can adjust it otherwise it will need to go to a certified body shop. I’m not sure if I want to deal with that on a brand new car. Is this common?

C755C363-0FB0-4BA2-9EC2-82B477E26BE0.jpeg
F9AC1BA7-9293-43A5-BCDF-38B2ADFF5698.jpeg

From what I’ve read over the 18 months (and seen in YouTube videos) it happens from time to time, although not as often as of late. I believe is is something the service center can handle.

I would stick to my guns and insist they fix it now since you have 7 days to return the car. I would also insist on a loaner.

Reactions: SoCalMike
Ordered Nov 4th. Delivery just got scheduled for Dec 26th in Rocklin CA.
Note that the California Air Resources Board is allowing a "grace period" for the $2500 rebate.
Their webpage (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) says:
CVRP Grace Period
Applicants who purchased, leased, or ordered an eligible vehicle between September 3, 2019, through December 2, 2019, may be eligible to receive rebate amounts under previous Terms and Conditions and program requirements. Applicants can only submit applications for these vehicles through March 2, 2020, in order to qualify for the CVRP Grace Period. If you purchased or leased one of these vehicles outside of the aforementioned CVRP Grace Period, your application will be cancelled. The list of vehicles with limited eligibility can be found here.

From what I’ve read over the 18 months (and seen in YouTube videos) it happens from time to time, although not as often as of late. I believe is is something the service center can handle.

I would stick to my guns and insist they fix it now since you have 7 days to return the car. I would also insist on a loaner.
They insisted the gaps are within spec and adjusted the left rubber striker to where it’s about an inch higher than the right striker. Trunk closes now but no gap improvement. I thought I was pretty careful at delivery but I guess I missed the trunk. It’s within specs they say. I left with the car but still not sure if I should live with it, try another service center or just return it. Problem is you can’t get a service appointment before the 7 day return period is up.

F316288C-5BF1-49B8-8830-A1C4018F6EE6.jpeg
0C4A6377-68E4-4EF3-9644-8D6B7FA47932.jpeg

Attachments

• 6F9CCB34-B6A1-4C7E-92F9-43715EE3EAE7.jpeg
    6F9CCB34-B6A1-4C7E-92F9-43715EE3EAE7.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 45
Ordered Nov 4th. Delivery just got scheduled for Dec 26th in Rocklin CA.
Note that the California Air Resources Board is allowing a "grace period" for the $2500 rebate.
Their webpage (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) says:
CVRP Grace Period
Applicants who purchased, leased, or ordered an eligible vehicle between September 3, 2019, through December 2, 2019, may be eligible to receive rebate amounts under previous Terms and Conditions and program requirements. Applicants can only submit applications for these vehicles through March 2, 2020, in order to qualify for the CVRP Grace Period. If you purchased or leased one of these vehicles outside of the aforementioned CVRP Grace Period, your application will be cancelled. The list of vehicles with limited eligibility can be found here.
order date or delivery date

They insisted the gaps are within spec and adjusted the left rubber striker to where it’s about an inch higher than the right striker. Trunk closes now but no gap improvement. I thought I was pretty careful at delivery but I guess I missed the trunk. It’s within specs they say. I left with the car but still not sure if I should live with it, try another service center or just return it. Problem is you can’t get a service appointment before the 7 day return period is up.

If you return the car you may be barred from ordering another os the same model for 1 year. I remember reading about this but I don’t know how firm that policy is. Here’s the article:

Tesla is barring customers from buying the same version of the model they returned for 12 months

order date or delivery date
As I understand it, if you ordered by December 2nd you can still apply up until March 2020.
I just took delivery of Model S today and applied for the California rebate. The application limits the rebate to $2000 by default (which is the new limit for cars "purchased/delivered" after December 2nd). However, the California Air Resources Board they would honor a grace period so that would mean cars ordered before December 2nd should still get the full $2500 rebate.

As I understand it, if you ordered by December 2nd you can still apply up until March 2020.
I just took delivery of Model S today and applied for the California rebate. The application limits the rebate to $2000 by default (which is the new limit for cars "purchased/delivered" after December 2nd). However, the California Air Resources Board they would honor a grace period so that would mean cars ordered before December 2nd should still get the full $2500 rebate.
what is the California rebate? is it the same as the CARB rebate?

My first post!
2017 CPO ordered on 11/29. I am trading in a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. The process took time and that is okay with me.
Delivery center is Dedham.

I was scheduled to take delivery on 12/19 but was informed 2 hours before the appointment that the title hasn't arrived yet. My advisors have not responded to my one email to them since then.

The latest update I have is that it is expected on12/23.

This would be my first Tesla. I wait with hope.
I am still waiting to be informed that my title has arrived and that I can take delivery of the car.

For all I know, the title could be on Mars and everyone is waiting for SpaceX to deliver it.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Picked up my MS today from Fremont. Two weeks for order to having the car in hand.

Appointment time was 10:30am and, based on what I had read here, we were prepared for a multi-hour experience. Within 10 minutes, we met a volunteer--a design engineer and 10-year Tesla veteran--who walked us through the paperwork and showed us the car.

We did a very detailed review and found a couple of issues. The paint needed some clean up, part of the front fascia needed a buff, and the passenger seat had an issue. On top of that, they had only charged the car to ~50%. We waited for them to fix the paint and charge to 80%. The passenger seat was another story. I'll post pics on another thread, but looks like the new seats still have some quality issues.

Overall, it was a good experience. They were very patient with us while we did a thorough and detailed inspection. I wish they would have people who are users of the car explain some of the features. While the Tesla employee who had volunteered to help with deliveries was extremely patient and nice, he wasn't familiar with operation of the S. In the end, he ended up getting one of the full-time delivery employees to teach us a few things and answer questions.

Driving home with this car was a dream! I realize that some Tesla owners had previous driven luxury cars, so they easily identify some areas where a Tesla doesn't match a German luxury car. For me, having previously been in a 10-year old base model Prius, every single thing in the Tesla is a massive step up (aside from turning radius).

Thanks Jeff,

Good news for California!
I just received this email from the CARB:

You should receive the $2,500 rebate, even though the application automatically populated $2000. This is unfortunately one of those quirks with last minute changes. I’ve flagged it for CSE.

Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Please help me!

Has anyone taken delivery of a used Tesla from Dedham this month?
If yes, did you have to wait for the title to arrive at Dedham?
If yes, how long did you have to wait?
I am thinking of cancelling my order to avoid loan termination. I have not got any response from my sales or delivery advisors and the people at Dedham say that their questions to whoever sends out titles have gone unanswered.

Update:
The title is lost. They are going to apply for a secondary title. Should I wait for secondary title or look for a different car?

Last edited: