Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, sharing my fun delivery experience. I ordered a Model S LR two weeks ago and anxiously awaited the big day. Beautiful car and interior but was shown the side mirror and chrome was damaged upon arrival. They were going to replace it when a new one came in. I thought, ok, I can live with that. Then the real fun began. The back hatch would attempt to autoclose but then immediately reopen. Meaning it would not latch as if something was in the way. Tried resetting it, the same thing, they took it into the shop to make adjustments but would do it again. They used a hammer to try and adjust the latch and eventually it would close but the problem was it would slightly bend or adjust sideways as it was closing versus coming down straight like my other vehicles. Clearly there was something more mechanical wrong along with the alignment. Plus the adjustment created a nice gap on one side.

Short of it, disappointing day, spent 4 hours at the SC for what should of been a quick delivery. At least the SC team tried to fix and handle. They did find another Model S several states away but nothing that matched the custom one I ordered. So ended up refusing delivery and leaving disappointed.

Not sure if something happened in transit or just a quality control issue.

Totally bummed but be sure you make sure that hatch closes properly!

At least we have a great Model 3 at home to enjoy!

Hi all, sharing my fun delivery experience. I ordered a Model S LR two weeks ago and anxiously awaited the big day. Beautiful car and interior but was shown the side mirror and chrome was damaged upon arrival. They were going to replace it when a new one came in. I thought, ok, I can live with that. Then the real fun began. The back hatch would attempt to autoclose but then immediately reopen. Meaning it would not latch as if something was in the way. Tried resetting it, the same thing, they took it into the shop to make adjustments but would do it again. They used a hammer to try and adjust the latch and eventually it would close but the problem was it would slightly bend or adjust sideways as it was closing versus coming down straight like my other vehicles. Clearly there was something more mechanical wrong along with the alignment. Plus the adjustment created a nice gap on one side.

Short of it, disappointing day, spent 4 hours at the SC for what should of been a quick delivery. At least the SC team tried to fix and handle. They did find another Model S several states away but nothing that matched the custom one I ordered. So ended up refusing delivery and leaving disappointed.

Not sure if something happened in transit or just a quality control issue.

Totally bummed but be sure you make sure that hatch closes properly!

At least we have a great Model 3 at home to enjoy!

It happened on my Model S LR when I took delivery of the car. The back hatch would attempt to close but immediately reopened itself.

It turned out was the 'rear trunk parcel shelf cargo cover' not seating correctly, it stuck out a little and caused the rear hatch sensors to think some cargo was blocking the rear hatch to close.

I used my hands to 'reseat' the cover, and it solved the problem.

It might or might not relate to your problem. Just want to share my experience.

Best,

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
In the process of ordering a new Model S LR, playing phone and email tag with the Littleton, Colorado store. Hoping to drive the 400 miles to Littleton tomorrow from New Mexico and trade in my 2013 Model S for the new S.

I wanted to get a Performance Model Y. I would have if Tesla had a service center even 100 miles from my home (thanks NM auto dealers!). Too risky IMHO, so going with a high-VIN inventory 2020 S.

The difference in price between the old S and new S is around 15000 less for the new S!

And the capabilities are vastly improved (in most instances):
• 0-60 will be 3.7 sec, old S was I dunno 5.1?
• 402mi range for New S; old S has shriveled down to about 240. Massive improvement, cannot wait.
• new S dual motor, kewl; old S rear motor that went through FIVE DRIVE UNITS in 6 years, inexplicable
• new S has a new MCU, OMG; old S had MCU1, web browser died in 2018, everything else is slow as molasses
• Autopilot in new S: meh. Didn't get FSD (meh as well); old S hahahahah lol Autopilot? Parking Sensors? what are those things?
• much faster charge times on new S; old S is a victim of ChargeGate and limited to 40-60kW charges, making supercharging a long wait
• new S has no pano sunroof; old S had fantastic pano sunroof that has worked flawlessly the entire time; really going to miss it
• new S has no AM radio!?!?!? WTF?; old S had AM radio tuning; I used it for a couple stations frequently. This sucks.
• new S has black-and-white interior, meh; old S had tan interior and tan headliner, which got dirty and aged quickly
• I got the black-and-white interior because that's all they had in inventory if I wanted free unlimited supercharging
• since the old S had free unlimited supercharging, no way was I gonna starting paying to supercharge

Still waiting to hear from the delivery people at the Tesla store.

Took delivery of the car today in Littleton, CO, in middle of a downpour. VIN is in the 396000's. My old S was in the 18000's. What a long strange trip it's been. To think that other OEMs are struggling to build a car in 2020 as capable as my 2013 S.... Tesla is truly 7 years ahead.

The new car appeared flawless. Top-notch quality. Inside and out. Insanely strong new car smell, requiring ample use of Bioweapon Defense Mode on way home, alternating with window down. Still feel high as a kite.

New car is amazing, fast as hell, fast-charging, range is stupendous, the white seats are gorgeous, the Deep Metallic Blue color is fantastic, I love the Tempest wheels, and I love that I managed to snag an inventory car, built probably in late Feb, that had 15 miles of range on it, and it came with free unlimited supercharging.

On way home, I stopped once to charge for about a half hour. On way up in my 2013 trade-in, I stopped let's see 1, 2, 3 times to charge for a total of 2.5 hours' worth of charge time.

When I got home tonight, after an 800-mile day, I had 83 miles still on the battery.

Very happy camper here.

Model S. As Ferris Bueller once said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend it. it's so choice."

@tinm Did the S have a March or May/June build date on it? Seems like it should have been built in the last 3-4 weeks.

Apparently it was late Feb though could have been March. A friend bought same car as a custom factory order. Our VINs are close; mine is higher. We both got unlimited free supercharging.

When did Tesla stop offering free unlimited supercharging? Whenever that was, my car must have been one of the last ones made just before then.

Apparently it was late Feb though could have been March. A friend bought same car as a custom factory order. Our VINs are close; mine is higher. We both got unlimited free supercharging.

When did Tesla stop offering free unlimited supercharging? Whenever that was, my car must have been one of the last ones made just before then.
The month/year when the car was built is on the upper left corner of the sticker located on the bottom of the pillar on the driver’s side door.

The free supercharging ended about 2 weeks ago when the base price of the Models S and X were lowered by $5,000. The last I looked there are Long Range + inventory cars available with free supercharging; at least in California.

The month/year when the car was built is on the upper left corner of the sticker located on the bottom of the pillar on the driver’s side door.

The free supercharging ended about 2 weeks ago when the base price of the Models S and X were lowered by $5,000. The last I looked there are Long Range + inventory cars available with free supercharging; at least in California.

Ok, I sit corrected. Sticker says MFD BY TESLA, INC. 5/20.

Sales rep had told me this car had sat around Fremont for a while; I was under the impression it was from Feb/Mar.

Meanwhile, a photo, snapped the moment I saw the car waiting for me at Littleton, CO:

first-sight-of-car-at-littleton.png

Ok, I sit corrected. Sticker says MFD BY TESLA, INC. 5/20.

Sales rep had told me this car had sat around Fremont for a while; I was under the impression it was from Feb/Mar.

Meanwhile, a photo, snapped the moment I saw the car waiting for me at Littleton, CO:

View attachment 553960

Beautiful car! Enjoy it in good health :) Ive been seeing there may be a new battery pack revision. Mind checking yours by looking at your battery sticker in your front right wheel well? Last known revision was the -F battery, wonder what some of the latest ones are shipping with.

Beautiful car! Enjoy it in good health :) Ive been seeing there may be a new battery pack revision. Mind checking yours by looking at your battery sticker in your front right wheel well? Last known revision was the -F battery, wonder what some of the latest ones are shipping with.
Got mine delivered 2 weeks ago battery revision level F build date 05/2020

Reactions: liludiivert
June 8, 2020- Ordered my Model S, midnight silver metallic, 21” carbon sonic turbine wheels, autopilot (no FSD), black interior.

June 30, 2020- Scheduled to take delivery.

VIN: 400006

I am hoping that there aren’t any issues with the vehicle during inspection when I take delivery next week.

Exciting times! Hope all goes super smooth for you and no issues on delivery day!

On June 23. I ordered a Model S but still no VIN has been assigned. Is this expected? It said August delivery but I guess that might not happen as I live in Norway.
Cars that are delivered to Europe are produced early in the quarter, with the Models E and Y being built before the S and X models. I wouldn’t be concerned about not having a VIN assigned. I’m in California and I didn’t have a VIN assigned until I took delivery. The odds, in my opinion, are that you will take delivery in August.