Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2/15 to 3/15 delivery date. I do not even have the words estimated delivery date anywhere on my account much less any date. There is no modify order function either. I ordered late October and confirmed same day refresh announced.
When I looked into this and the email I got saying prepare for delivery I received what to me was a plausible explanation.
It was explained to me that the delivery estimating system is fully automated. When the line was taken down the system was still up relying on pre refresh data.
So I’m not sure but I wonder if it was the last person out didn’t turn the estimating system off?
Any thoughts?

I had a 2/15 to 3/15 delivery date. I do not even have the words estimated delivery date anywhere on my account much less any date. There is no modify order function either. I ordered late October and confirmed same day refresh announced.
When I looked into this and the email I got saying prepare for delivery I received what to me was a plausible explanation.
It was explained to me that the delivery estimating system is fully automated. When the line was taken down the system was still up relying on pre refresh data.
So I’m not sure but I wonder if it was the last person out didn’t turn the estimating system off?
Any thoughts?

There may be some truth to that for the order status page or automated notifications, but it also might be BS.

However, from the day of the earnings call when the refresh was announced, the website said March for the S and April for the X, which were clearly targets they intentionally put there as part of the new page rollout.

Elon confused everyone by saying something that sounded like they’d start deliveries in February, but it sounded even as he said it like he might have misspoke or been talking about when it was introduced rather than shipped.

That got me curious and I looked up the transcript to the call. He did say that they were producing the S now and that deliveries would start in February. I went to the website on the 27th and it always said March so maybe the intent was to start delivery for unfulfilled pre-refresh orders in February followed by new orders in February.

His comments from the earnings calls don't seem to quite jibe with his comments form this week's leaked email.

upload_2021-2-26_15-29-33.png

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
I just looked. Model x was May June for LR/Plaid and model s had no delivery dates showing at all.
Anyone thinking the retooling during shutdown didn’t go as planned?
Just out of curiosity, is there a diagram of the models s manufacturing line?

• Funny
Reactions: Nappypapi
Things might have changed recently, but back in the day, they originally had a serpentine shaped production line. With the introduction of the X, they installed a new straight "high speed" line that was became the main production line for the S and the X and they kept the old serpentine line for testing, one-offs, and the like. Given Elon's comments about re-tooling, I would guess the test mules we have seen so far came off the serpentine line. One potential upside is tighter panel gaps than we have seen in the test mules.

I just looked. Model x was May June for LR/Plaid and model s had no delivery dates showing at all.
Anyone thinking the retooling during shutdown didn’t go as planned?
Just out of curiosity, is there a diagram of the models s manufacturing line?

What are you referring to here? The website has always had estimated dates. It says 4-11 weeks right now for all Model S variants, and May-June for X.

For abstract it 45 minutes the estimated delivery time when ordering an X said May-June. On the ordering an S page it was blank. I have no idea what was going on. On my order page I originally after confirming my S it estimated 2/15 to 3/15. That disappeared one day and I have no estimated delivery date. Also, I think there used to me a modify order link. At least that’s what my SA had me use to confirm my order after refresh announcement. That’s also gone from my order page.
I’ve tried clearing cookies and stored pages but no change.

Since seeing the yoke steering wheel I’ve been practicing steering all my cars just using the lower half of the wheel. While some steering wheels are a little easier to use in such a fashion, I’ve been able to adjust to the yoke structure in all my vehicles. There’s always a learning curve and this feeble brain of mine seems to handle yoke steering just fine. I’m all in and have ordered my Plaid MS with the yoke wheel. Assuming it’s determined to be legal and consequently offered as an option.

Since seeing the yoke steering wheel I’ve been practicing steering all my cars just using the lower half of the wheel. While some steering wheels are a little easier to use in such a fashion, I’ve been able to adjust to the yoke structure in all my vehicles. There’s always a learning curve and this feeble brain of mine seems to handle yoke steering just fine. I’m all in and have ordered my Plaid MS with the yoke wheel. Assuming it’s determined to be legal and consequently offered as an option.

I'm also assuming it's going to be offered as an option - big question for me is which setup is the DEFAULT and which one is Elon gonna charge extra for?

Reactions: electricar
I'm also assuming it's going to be offered as an option - big question for me is which setup is the DEFAULT and which one is Elon gonna charge extra for?
I think both will be included free of charge, will be viewed as personal preference. I hope that the vehicles will be shipped with round, and then receive a free optional upgrade to the yoke. Will give me an opportunity to try it out before commitment, but wont delay delivery.

Reactions: tes_ev_123
I think both will be included free of charge, will be viewed as personal preference. I hope that the vehicles will be shipped with round, and then receive a free optional upgrade to the yoke. Will give me an opportunity to try it out before commitment, but wont delay delivery.
Upgrade to yoke, lol

I’m guessing square wheels are gonna be an option on roadster if you choose spacex rocket booster package as an option.

Doubt it'll be free (think about Tesla's production strategy). They'll probably have one option come as standard and have the other on the Tesla Shop for $500-1000.