Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan 6 order. No info from Tesla about anything.
How did people order prior to the official announcement on the 27th of January? I placed an order for a Plaid on battery day September 2020. On the 27th of January, we learned that there's a plaid ($120k) and a plaid plus ($140K.) Anyone (including me) who ordered prior to the 27th of January, ordered a Plaid plus. Hypothetically, today if I decided to change my order to a regular Plaid then I assume I'd have to cancel the plaid plus order and create a new order for a plaid. If this is correct, then I assume I'd be starting from scratch and I'd be last in line. This is my speculation which may be incorrect. Also not sure if the price will stay at $140k for those orders placed prior to the $10k increase.

How did people order prior to the official announcement on the 27th of January? I placed an order for a Plaid on battery day September 2020. On the 27th of January, we learned that there's a plaid ($120k) and a plaid plus ($140K.) Anyone (including me) who ordered prior to the 27th of January, ordered a Plaid plus. Hypothetically, today if I decided to change my order to a regular Plaid then I assume I'd have to cancel the plaid plus order and create a new order for a plaid. If this is correct, then I assume I'd be starting from scratch and I'd be last in line. This is my speculation which may be incorrect. Also not sure if the price will stay at $140k for those orders placed prior to the $10k increase.
Many of us order pre refresh models got converted to the refreshed models since factories were down and they weren't making any model s at that time

My SA was a good salesman. He got me to place order in early December. Now he avoids my calls and texts (I do not harass or constantly call. Just once a month). So he is too weak to tell me that he has no idea of delivery dates for anyone. The other SA’s at the showroom answer my question, but each one has their own guess. They are all as clueless as we are.
Unfortunately I had to turn in my lease on my Alfa Romeo and am now sharing my wife’s Benz with her. I probably can last another month with this.
I am really jonesing for my first ev-Tesla. But I can’t deal with this sharing with my wife.

If I don’t feel I can get an educated guess by April 15, I think I will buy another MB. I like the cars and the service very much. I just don’t think I can keep waiting without some sort of date.
cmon Tesla. Say something!!!!’n

Reactions: foos and TSLA Pilot
My SA was a good salesman. He got me to place order in early December. Now he avoids my calls and texts (I do not harass or constantly call. Just once a month). So he is too weak to tell me that he has no idea of delivery dates for anyone. The other SA’s at the showroom answer my question, but each one has their own guess. They are all as clueless as we are.
Unfortunately I had to turn in my lease on my Alfa Romeo and am now sharing my wife’s Benz with her. I probably can last another month with this.
I am really jonesing for my first ev-Tesla. But I can’t deal with this sharing with my wife.

If I don’t feel I can get an educated guess by April 15, I think I will buy another MB. I like the cars and the service very much. I just don’t think I can keep waiting without some sort of date.
cmon Tesla. Say something!!!!’n
If you decide to buy a MB, make sure you buy used so you won't get clobbered when you're trying to dump it for the Model S whenever it comes out. That's probably how it will play out.
Just go on Turo and rent someone's Tesla for a few weeks. That's what I would do; maybe a model 3 or Y performance.

Reactions: CO_MY
No - see, I don't think you understand Teslas history. Not only do they have prolonged silent delays, the products they initially deliver often still have a ton of issues. I guess you could argue the product must be terrible right now, but in, IDK 30 days, maybe slightly less terrible?
All I have to go on for sure is our personal experience with my wife's M3, which has been pretty great. Any issues the car has had have been really minor (a rattle, an issue not knowing it was home w/r/t engaging sentry mode, etc.) While it wasn't the first batch off the line, the car is 2.5 years old and it continues to be the only car my wife has ever driven that she considers fun to drive.

I've had lots of fun cars (several MR2s, Supras, Boxster S's, etc.) but they've had to be pretty small to be fun and in my price range. Now I can afford a new MS and it will be massively better than anything I've ever driven, growing refresh pains or not. For the past 3 years I'd been leasing a WRX, and the base MS is TWICE as stinkin' fast to 60mph. TWICE. AS. FAST.

In the interim I'm enjoying our "spare" car, an '06 Highlander Hybrid AWD Limited. It is an absolute blast to drive, with a 7 second 0-60. The MS does that in 3 seconds.

For a while I was thinking about whether I'd delay my order so as not to get a "beta" version, but I am absolutely now not going to do that, no matter what. If I find out I don't even quality for a $7K Federal tax credit because it won't be retroactive to the start of the year, then oh well, that'll suck but I'll live. I'm basically pretty optimistic.

M3 deliveries are currently estimated at 1-2 weeks- to say I'm jealous is an understatement given that the MS still stands at 4-11 weeks for me (located in CA). But am I going to order an M3 over an MS? Definitely not 😅 "good things come to those who wait" they say!
Yea, coworker just ordered his M3 mid-last week, his is scheduled for delivery next week. But my boss bought the M3 performance and been waiting over a month and still has a few weeks. So guess it all varies.

Reactions: Tezzly
Reactions: sam3194
Okay, quick primer for folks.

SA/DA - Know less than you do. Ignore their guesses. Folks here know more.

Priority - there’s no method. Roughly, Tesla’s shown a desire to deliver higher margin performance/plaid first. If you ordered in December, it is very likely someone who ordered in February gets theirs first. Depends on configuration, time, geography and multiverse location.

VIN - As @omarsultan said, when Tesla was actually doing build to order, this mattered. Doesn’t matter anywhere near as much now except it could signal they’re making cars.

Expectations - Keep them low for communication and initial quality. Tesla is not a new company and has been wildly successful for almost 10 years with questionable communications and initial build quality worse than my son’s recent Lego kit build.

When will you get it? - When you get it. And it will be amazing and, somehow, you’ll forget the abysmal PRE-delivery experience.

Okay, quick primer for folks.

SA/DA - Know less than you do. Ignore their guesses. Folks here know more.

Priority - there’s no method. Roughly, Tesla’s shown a desire to deliver higher margin performance/plaid first. If you ordered in December, it is very likely someone who ordered in February gets theirs first. Depends on configuration, time, geography and multiverse location.

VIN - As @omarsultan said, when Tesla was actually doing build to order, this mattered. Doesn’t matter anywhere near as much now except it could signal they’re making cars.

Expectations - Keep them low for communication and initial quality. Tesla is not a new company and has been wildly successful for almost 10 years with questionable communications and initial build quality worse than my son’s recent Lego kit build.

When will you get it? - When you get it. And it will be amazing and, somehow, you’ll forget the abysmal PRE-delivery experience.

When I am lying in bed many years from now, I will always have these forums and this thread to remind me of "the abysmal PRE-delivery experience".

Reactions: Tigers and elguapo