Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im 26, ordered on 20th january contacted SA on the refresh date and they got back to me in about 2 weeks. It takes about 2 weeks for my SA to reply to a text or email. It's been over a month now haven't heard anything from Tesla.
I’m thinking you might be near the big 6-0 by the time we get our MS’s. By then we will be driving on Mars.

For everyone who keeps responding talking about patience, and waiting, I don't think anyone on this thread has an issue with that. Everyone is taking about communication. People have lives they have to plan around receiving this car that was promised by a certain date.

Once my car is in, if I don't have my money lined up to buy it, will they be patient with me? I'll have it eventually, they can just wait until I do.

It's been years since I posted anything but I remember back to 2011 when I ordered my first MS, a Signature #6xx in that special red color with 21" wheels which was only offered to the first 1000 buyers. I waited over a year for that Tesla - delay after delay - and while I've currently got a 2015 P90D, I'm reliving that same feeling I did all those years ago. This wait for my new Tesla LR is nothing compared to the wait I had back then. Hang in there. You'll get your car and you'll love it. Very few of those Signature buyers who waited over a year without seeing the car regretted their decision.

I'm in my 70's, and was told 5-11 weeks from my order in mid February. Nothing has changed since.

View attachment 647697
Signature red is my favorite color of any car.

Reactions: RMG007
In Aug 2013 I put down a $5000 deposit for the new Model X. Waited 2 1/2 years. Took delivery in March 2016. Ordered a new Model X the first week of March 2021. I know how to wait.
For fun you can read posts from Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production
Yeah, I was on that ride with ya'. This is minor in comparison, but it would be great if learned a bit more respect for its customers in the intervening 5 years.

The comparison to timing with the original X or S is interesting, but this is a refresh from a $600 billion market cap company.
A car that looks like it has some massaged sheet metal (maybe only for the Plaid - who knows?). A car that basically has the same range and motor placement configuration and presumably battery architecture.
When I look at what is new, it is all pretty subtle. And this takes this long?
Now, there maybe underpinnings that are wickedly changed but it is really hard to tell for sure.
But, hey, I think you are all crazy for buying a sight unseen model with potentially incredibly annoying controls from a car company with a terrible history of initial model quality. And a horrible service experience.

Reactions: Angelo14
The comparison to timing with the original X or S is interesting, but this is a refresh from a $600 billion market cap company.
A car that looks like it has some massaged sheet metal (maybe only for the Plaid - who knows?). A car that basically has the same range and motor placement configuration and presumably battery architecture.
When I look at what is new, it is all pretty subtle. And this takes this long?
Now, there maybe underpinnings that are wickedly changed but it is really hard to tell for sure.
But, hey, I think you are all crazy for buying a sight unseen model with potentially incredibly annoying controls from a car company with a terrible history of initial model quality. And a horrible service experience.
You have some good points..
Yes the exterior refresh is a bit subtle. The interior looks significantly improved including fit and finish.
Once people drive the tri-motor, it will be clear how much has changed.
This is my first time buying an expensive car sight unseen. And it's also the most excited I've ever been about a car.
Tesla does have the highest customer satisfaction of all cars... The most satisfying car I've ever owned is? My Tesla... I'm confident I won't regret my decision.
I do agree with you; it's taking too long.

Reactions: elguapo
For everyone who keeps responding talking about patience, and waiting, I don't think anyone on this thread has an issue with that. Everyone is taking about communication. People have lives they have to plan around receiving this car that was promised by a certain date.

Once my car is in, if I don't have my money lined up to buy it, will they be patient with me? I'll have it eventually, they can just wait until I do.
I agree. Im giving Tesla until the first week of April. If I don't see deliveries happening by then I'm done and will go with my other option. My lease is up in April and I need a car. I understand the whole excitement and things happening that cause delays but this is ridiculous. Elon has been very active on twitter and cant throw us a bone as to whats going on. Really? Come on....

Who promised you a refreshed Model S by a certain date?
I was promised a new S by two separate people at Tesla for 12/28/2020.

I don't understand the excuse making for Tesla. They are no longer the plucky new startup (who actually handled things waaay better). They are in no danger of going bankrupt anymore. EVs are here to stay now. By excusing this sort of awful behavior from Tesla it just reinforces their view that they can do no wrong and that they can treat their customers like crap. They've already screwed up by not addressing their reliability issues soon enough. The general public now has the view that they are unreliable cars. That reputation will haunt them for decades.

Right now there is nothing available that competes directly with the S, if there was, I, and I'm sure alot of other folks would already be gone. That is slowly starting to change though and in a few more years if Tesla doesn't shape up they are going to be losing a ton of sales.

On the commentary that the car is not for commuting, I think just the opposite. I am 59, can afford it, and drive 25-30k miles per year. My 17 MS has 99k miles and it only has that little because driving the last 12 months has been highly cut-back due to Covid including five months of telecommuting. If I didn’t have the 35 mi. each way commute plus additional drives to destinations for work I would drive a MB S550 or something like that. It is the $500 per month in gas savings that keeps me in the MS and had me order a new LR. I used to have a Jaguar XKR for fun and a BMW 325 to commute and I found myself using the Jag more and more to avoid boredom.

By the way, the pending MS LR is in gray, white seats and ordered just about a month ago and my order page still says 4-11 weeks from order - adding this to avoid thread drift.

From the stats section of the new Plaid Model S section of the Tesla site:
  • Top Speed200 mph††when equipped with the proper wheels and tires (available fall 2021)
I don’t suppose anyone has details on this? Sounds like Tesla will be selling a separate high performance wheel and tire package later this year.
A guess - waiting for availability of the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV shoes? Michelin - The first MICHELIN Pilot Sport-family tire for electric sports cars

Reactions: Cysco
A guess - waiting for availability of the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV shoes? Michelin - The first MICHELIN Pilot Sport-family tire for electric sports cars

This is really interesting! It has been talked about on other forums here, but I didn’t realize the significant increase in efficiency. The rolling resistance internal study shows an increased range of more than 10% from these EV specific tires compared to regular Pilot Sport 4’s. Could the new efficiency numbers on the Model S be simply due to the new tires?

Last edited: