Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for everyone...has anyone noticed that when you choose the 21" arachnid wheels, the estimated max battery range is significantly reduced? Not that I mind an estimated 350 mi. for max battery range (if accurate) for my upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid (100 mi. more than my Jaguar I-Pace HSE), but that seems like a very large ~ 40 mi. drop from the est. 390 mi. max battery range with the std 19" wheels. Anyone else think that seems a bit much for the drop in max range? I have to wonder after my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires wear out, if I replace with the brand new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires, how much I could see for increased max battery range?
Yes, that has been previously discussed on this thread

Reactions: foos and sflgator
Question for everyone...has anyone noticed that when you choose the 21" arachnid wheels, the estimated max battery range is significantly reduced? Not that I mind an estimated 350 mi. for max battery range (if accurate) for my upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid (100 mi. more than my Jaguar I-Pace HSE), but that seems like a very large ~ 40 mi. drop from the est. 390 mi. max battery range with the std 19" wheels. Anyone else think that seems a bit much for the drop in max range? I have to wonder after my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires wear out, if I replace with the brand new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires, how much I could see for increased max battery range?
Such a range drop was pretty typical for the older cars, see link below:

As I am sure you are aware, the real cost is the tires and increased risk of tire and wheel damage. What would seem to be a moderate bump in any other set up can leave you with a cracked rim or bulged tire...ask me how I know!

Again, the NHTSA does not "approve" or pre-approve anything. Manufacturers self-certify compliance with FMVSS. If a safety concern is raised after the fact, they will investigate. If there is ambiguity over compliance, a manufacturer can ask the NHTSA for a clarification, a waiver or a rule change.
If it was truly a software issue, would that delay production considering how software updates can be rolled out post production? Unless they felt the risk of a physical change required was too high, I don’t see how this makes sense.

Here's a new spotting. PLAID badging, red brakes, and a Yoke. Looks like a round wheel because it's upside down. I guess this could kill the rumors that the steering ratio is different with the Yoke.

Does not look like yoke. Even if upside down, it is too rounded - the yoke is not that round on the bottom. In other pic, he has his hand on the top. Maybe it is and I am too old to see it correctly. People make happen what they want to happen...

Reactions: elguapo
Does not look like yoke. Even if upside down, it is too rounded - the yoke is not that round on the bottom. In other pic, he has his hand on the top. Maybe it is and I am too old to see it correctly. People make happen what they want to happen...
He posted another pic. This def looks like a yoke
Screenshot_20210327-093914_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I don't think the rear fender looks too wide to fit in my garage. I really want that to happen...😁

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
He posted another pic. This def looks like a yokeView attachment 648414
This guy’s photos do look sketchy. I get the fact that he’s moving, the other car is moving, etc. Doesn’t look like a yoke to me in any pictures except this one looks like someone just deleted the wheel with photoshop.

And if it’s not a legit production car, why would it be badged at all? They don’t need to test the badging...I also thought they stopped the “premium” badging altogether anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: doubleshot
He posted another pic. This def looks like a yokeView attachment 648414
Then there's this (article from Teslarati), but again, it seems like nobody can confirm anything directly from Tesla so even the journalists just REpost "hearsay" and "supposed" confirmations of things seen and heard. Can anyone truly confirm this was a new, refreshed MS Plaid and that the vehicle will truly be making it to customer driveways relatively soon? Can anyone actually see the yoke steering wheel or the PLAID badge on the rear of the vehicle? Sorry I cannot. Would be nice to get official word and to see some actual research and journalism instead of just reposts. 🙄 Tesla Model S with Yoke Steering Wheel, Plaid badge spotted near Fremont Factory

Last edited:
Tires/wheels have a huge impact on range, 21s look cool and will help on the track but are terrible in all other regards.

Tires/wheels have a huge impact on range, 21s look cool and will help on the track but are terrible in all other regards.
Yes I know they have an impact on max range but didn't know going from 19" to 21" wheels would have a 40mi. impact; either way, it's all good...350 mi. max range is far better than 250 mi. max range. Besides, yes I agree the 21" arachnid wheels, although they're not my favorite design, still look far better than the 19" standard wheels for the Model S. Too bad Tesla doesn't offer 2+ wheel designs for each size. I bet many people just get the std wheels and then upgrade them to whatever they want after. I'll just stick with the arachnids I think. A couple of my favorite wheel designs are the 21" Porsche Turbo wheels I had on my Porsche Macan Turbo and the 22" Jaguar wheels with carbon fiber on my Jaguar I-Pace.

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 56
  • sflgator I-Pace.JPG
    sflgator I-Pace.JPG
    637.9 KB · Views: 59
Legit delivery update here. After my 7th check of the day where prior six had no delivery language at all, it now says...

“Estimated Delivery: - “

All you negative folks on here saying “oh, communication is awful” can feel better now! Look at this incredible transparency and stop being so negative.

I think it should say “Estimated Delivery: N/A”...

Legit delivery update here. After my 7th check of the day where prior six had no delivery language at all, it now says...

“Estimated Delivery: - “

All you negative folks on here saying “oh, communication is awful” can feel better now! Look at this incredible transparency and stop being so negative.

I think it should say “Estimated Delivery: N/A”...
Mine still says March, which only means one thing. You are never getting your S and mine will drive itself to my driveway any day now 😂. Tremendous transparency. 😜

Yes I know they have an impact on max range but didn't know going from 19" to 21" wheels would have a 40mi. impact; either way, it's all good...350 mi. max range is far better than 250 mi. max range. Besides, yes I agree the 21" arachnid wheels, although they're not my favorite design, still look far better than the 19" standard wheels for the Model S. Too bad Tesla doesn't offer 2+ wheel designs for each size. I bet many people just get the std wheels and then upgrade them to whatever they want after. I'll just stick with the arachnids I think. A couple of my favorite wheel designs are the 21" Porsche Turbo wheels I had on my Porsche Macan Turbo and the 22" Jaguar wheels with carbon fiber on my Jaguar I-Pace.

The 19" with wheel cover is more efficient. However, if you had narrower 21" tires and more of an A/S rubber compound, the 21's would not be such a penalty. Will square my 21's with good A/S and see if that bring backs some of the range. The higher sidewall of the 19's make them a little more aero now matter what.