Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I slightly prefer the look of the arachnids but not nearly enough to spend an extra $4500, lose 37 miles of range, have fewer tire options, a rougher ride and lose approximately 4% acceleration (which is about .1s 0-60...seen this number pop up a few times but not sure on original source).
Where do you come up with acceleration loss? I doubt the car is lacking torque

Where do you come up with acceleration loss? I doubt the car is lacking torque
Don't recall exactly but it has something to do with the extra weight (which I'm not sure about since I thought the arachnids were a tiny bit lighter...maybe the tires?) and rolling resistance. But the 4% difference in acceleration is floating around here and there (discussed here in past and reddit, etc).

I slightly prefer the look of the arachnids but not nearly enough to spend an extra $4500, lose 37 miles of range, have fewer tire options, a rougher ride and lose approximately 4% acceleration (which is about .1s 0-60...seen this number pop up a few times but not sure on original source).
First off, it should not reduce acceleration at all, if anything it could improve acceleration. Ride handling is greatly improved on corners and turns. Using larger tires isn’t a new phenomenon. The other major benefit is breaking distance. I get not wanting to spend extra money but at least be real about it.

The theory is the loss, or at least some of it comes from increased rotational inertial--in a 21" wheel the mass of the wheel if further from the pivot point than with a 19" wheel, so it takes a bit more effort to get the wheel moving. 21s tend to be heavier than 19s which compounds the problem. I guess if you replaced stock 19s with lightweight 21s you could offset the increased internal with lower mass.

Um, still no change in my order status--still shows March.

• Informative
Reactions: elguapo
Thanks for posting the latest pictures! I absolutely love the Model S and the updated interior. There in my view however is one big eye sore. The tail-lights. I can't get my head around why they make big changes to the car and keep the dotted led's in the rear that gives the car the look 8 years old. Both Model X and 3 has more modern light design, so why not the updated Model S?

Since I'm located in Europe I do hope that they fix this for European cars because they have to redesign it to fit the CCS contact. But I still don't get it that they don't fix this for the first US cars?

Not sure if this is a european thing, but updated lights really would have given the Model S the necessary visual exterior lift it deserves. Small changes, big impact.

Reactions: TNGuy99 and Ohmster
First off, it should not reduce acceleration at all, if anything it could improve acceleration. Ride handling is greatly improved on corners and turns. Using larger tires isn’t a new phenomenon. The other major benefit is breaking distance. I get not wanting to spend extra money but at least be real about it.
Just going by the numbers/math I've seen thrown around in previous discussions comparing the wheels. I haven't seen any numbers on braking distance but what you say makes sense as well (so I'd agree that the smaller wheels will accelerate faster but brake more slowly). It would be great if Tesla tested and posted all these results but, heck, they only recently have come clean about the range differences although customers have known there has been a difference for quite a while.

But, nah, it is mostly the range difference any way you cut it (to me) - I'd choose the longer range even if the price on the two were exactly the same. Super subjective though...the difference in looks and what that is worth to a person in terms of $ and range will be different for everyone. No 'wrong' answers here.

The theory is the loss, or at least some of it comes from increased rotational inertial--in a 21" wheel the mass of the wheel if further from the pivot point than with a 19" wheel, so it takes a bit more effort to get the wheel moving.
Understand the theory if all other things are equal. Only matters if the drivetrain can’t deliver enough torque to bring the tire to traction limit. This can offset by improved traction from better compound. Too many variables to armchair quarterback. I doubt the 19’s will be faster in the 1/4mi.

Not sure if this is a european thing, but updated lights really would have given the Model S the necessary visual exterior lift it deserves. Small changes, big impact.
Agreed. I’m betting they will do so before the Plaid+ hits the streets or prior even. I doubt very much their Supply Chain would be procuring any more of the current beyond any contractual requirements.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: foos
The theory is the loss, or at least some of it comes from increased rotational inertial--in a 21" wheel the mass of the wheel if further from the pivot point than with a 19" wheel, so it takes a bit more effort to get the wheel moving. 21s tend to be heavier than 19s which compounds the problem. I guess if you replaced stock 19s with lightweight 21s you could offset the increased internal with lower mass.

Um, still no change in my order status--still shows March.
Also, whatever forces involved in the decreased range might also effect impact acceleration (sort of makes sense intuitively?). Weight? Rolling resistance? Aerodynamics? Whatever is decreasing the range is impacting acceleration (again, by a really small amount).

Yes, my order also still says March. I wonder if it will still say that in April. 😁

Also, whatever forces involved in the decreased range might also effect impact acceleration (sort of makes sense intuitively?). Weight? Rolling resistance? Aerodynamics? Whatever is decreasing the range is impacting acceleration (again, by a really small amount).

Yes, my order also still says March. I wonder if it will still say that in April. 😁
It may, though with 2022 at the end

Wife got a new job and now we need to drive both cars instead of just one. Am I crazy for thinking about buying a Y to hold us over while I wait for my S? I wouldn't order it unless I could get it in a few weeks.
You're likely to get delivery of your MS in April or May. I think June would be a real disappointment, especially since they were saying that new refreshed MX will be arriving for deliveries after the MS in June...so that may get pushed back to July or Aug. So it seems a bit nutty to purchase a MY now when you're likely to take delivery of your new MS in a few weeks. Everyone...calm down...relax...breath...patience Padawan. Besides, you're in 'Nawlins...where everything is very chill...go to Emeril's NOLA on St Louie St in the French Qtr and have a glass of wine to chill. ;)🙏 Have your wife drop you off or vice versa, or rent a car for a few weeks.

Wife got a new job and now we need to drive both cars instead of just one. Am I crazy for thinking about buying a Y to hold us over while I wait for my S? I wouldn't order it unless I could get it in a few weeks.

What do you mean by "to hold us over"? Need more context. Are you planning to keep the Y or sell it after the S arrives? I think it's senseless to only buy it to hold you over for a couple months and then resell for a financial loss. But if money is hardly a concern, then by all means. But I'd rather just figure out another solution or rent a car for cheap.

Anyone else have a trade-in valuation with Tesla and an expiration date for that? And has it changed?

It is a little interesting that my trade-in (my existing S) initially had an expiration of 3/17 but at some point around 3/10 that was updated to say '4/1'. Still says 4/1...

Reactions: foos
Understand the theory if all other things are equal. Only matters if the drivetrain can’t deliver enough torque to bring the tire to traction limit. This can offset by improved traction from better compound. Too many variables to armchair quarterback. I doubt the 19’s will be faster in the 1/4mi.
Here is the table from an article C&D did a few years back (source)that looked at impact of wheel size from 15" to 19" using a Golf as a control vehicle. As wheel size went up, acceleration, 1/4 mile, and fuel economy metrics worsened, while handling and braking improved.

effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested-chart-678-photo-568637-s-original.jpg