Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lurking around on this forum, but I see a lot of activity out there so decided to register so I throw my 2c too.

Question: I see some folks here report that they see [delivery month]. Where do you guys see it? I have and order for MX that I made on Jan 28 2021 and approximate delivery date was showing for awhile back in Jan and Feb, but since mid of Feb I only see "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration." without any date at all, which I saw other people have reported same thing as well.

I assume that when you say "I still see delivery date is March" you see it on tesla's website in your profile, not in your original confirmation email when you've made an order or other follow up emails about insurance and etc(cause your email content won't change over time :):) ).

Updates:
  1. Order spec:
    Model: MXLR with everything maxed out price-wise except wheels and paint(white).
    order Num: RN1144*****
    Order placed: Jan 28 2021
    Original delivery estimate: April (didn't say what year)
  2. My SA wasn't responding my texts or calls so I went to tesla store in East Bay(SF bay area) to "say hi". Store representative confirmed that there are no action items for me, they are just waiting for my car. When I asked about updates, all he said that they don't have any - "all is the same as you can find on a web" was SA's response literally.

UPDATE:
heh, I swear god, when I looked at my profile I didn't see "Estimated Delivery: April", I just checked again and it now it does say again that estimated delivery April(too bad it doesn't say what year :):):):) ). So seems like tesla keep changing the page to say or NOT to say when is delivery date update for our orders.

Here is the table from an article C&D did a few years back (source)that looked at impact of wheel size from 15" to 19" using a Golf as a control vehicle. As wheel size went up, acceleration, 1/4 mile, and fuel economy metrics worsened, while handling and braking improved.

View attachment 648530
Well sure, that car has limited HP and torque, therefore improved traction on acceleration doesn’t help it and extra mass hurts it.

I have a feeling we will get our "Easter Egg" delivery update from Uncle Elon next week. I have past the point of caring about why there has not been an update, my index finger was sore from refreshing this forum. So to take a break, I went bought a used 18 MS two days ago. Six months with an order hanging in the system was too long (Sept 24, reconfirmed Jan 28 RN1139). Will sell the 18 when the 21 Plaid lands at my delivery location. Feels so nice to be back in the saddle of an EV, not sure how I could ever go back to an ICE. No new news on my delivery update to report.

My 2018 Model S 100D was “Born” 3/12/18
and I took delivery on 3/28/18.
Among the first Model S’s to get the new MCU. Myself and others on TMC were frantic about whether our cars would have the latest greatest major upgrade. I was lucky. Others not so much because their cars were “born” a bit sooner.
Tesla makes minor changes/improvements on an ongoing basis. With a major refresh like this one there is bound to be quite a bit of fine-tuning as production ramps up. Patience has its rewards when it comes to Tesla.

Reactions: elguapo
The delivery times on new orders for S is potentially longer than X at this point. Im in Southern California and on S it now says 10-14 weeks which would be min of Mid June or July and the X say May/June. I ordered my Plaid S in late January and about to order the X refresh as well. I wonder if I will get the X first? Who knows at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
The delivery times on new orders for S is potentially longer than X at this point. Im in Southern California and on S it now says 10-14 weeks which would be min of Mid June or July and the X say May/June. I ordered my Plaid S in late January and about to order the X refresh as well. I wonder if I will get the X first? Who knows at this point.
It's been saying somewhere between 4-14 weeks for a while now but those are for new reservations/orders just placed I believe. I understand that it's not necessarily about get in line & first come/first serve, but there aren't many colors and options. So when Tesla says "your delivery depends on specifications built" vs. cars built coming off the line with those specifications, I don't think it matters much...I mean does anyone think that Tesla builds 1,000 of one color first or 1,000 one color/interior combination first? My MS Plaid build is fairly simple...white (std exterior color) w/ white seats interior (most popular?), carbon fiber (proabbaly the most popular given that it's the high performance Plaid edition), 21" arachnid wheels, and FSD (just a s/w programming option)...so whose to say that this combination isn't built in mass numbers at the start of production or maybe not?

They just haven’t gotten around to updating the X page yet. I am quite sure the Ss will deliver before the X. But the X and associated communication is even lower than the S.

Reactions: foos and Hayseed_MS
I don't think it is a SW issue or some field-installable part like the steering wheel. In either case, they would have shipped cars to stores and fixed them prior to delivery (they did something like this with the Model X rollout). If nothing else, the Fremont staging lots should be filled with refresh cars waiting to be finished and shipped, and we are seeing a few dozen cars at the most.

I think it is a parts issue and it is the kind of part that needs to be installed at Fremont.
I don't think it is a SW issue or some field-installable part like the steering wheel. In either case, they would have shipped cars to stores and fixed them prior to delivery (they did something like this with the Model X rollout). If nothing else, the Fremont staging lots should be filled with refresh cars waiting to be finished and shipped, and we are seeing a few dozen cars at the most.

I think it is a parts issue and it is the kind of part that needs to be installed at Fremont.
Agree. I think it’s the GPU or some other electronics board but everyone else is struggling to get right now. Try finding a GPU out in the wild right now.

So I think I'm going to change my order from the 21" Arachnids to the 19" wheels. I figure I'll order some 20" Vorsteiner V-FF 103s which should give a slightly better ride and better range than the 21' Arachnids and also lighter whilst looking hot. Should work out substantially cheaper seeing as I'd have to buy a set of winter wheels and tires anyway. This way I can reuse the 19s. Anyone have any experience with Vorsteiner wheels?

Reactions: ssv22
So I think I'm going to change my order from the 21" Arachnids to the 19" wheels. I figure I'll order some 20" Vorsteiner V-FF 103s which should give a slightly better ride and better range than the 21' Arachnids and also lighter whilst looking hot. Should work out substantially cheaper seeing as I'd have to buy a set of winter wheels and tires anyway. This way I can reuse the 19s. Anyone have any experience with Vorsteiner wheels?
I am in the same boat. Was planning to go the Arachnid route but then decided to go for aftermarket. Does anyone know the specs of the Arachnids that will be shipped with S? I intend to use those specs to order new shoes.

That was my initial plan. Get the 19s and go aftermarket 20’s. I think wheel width and offset are up in the air now though. I decided to get the Arachnids. It looks like they are more flush than they have been in the past.