Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After placing order November 2020, our delivery time frame was December 15-30, 2020.
It was updated in January to February 15 - March 15. At some point after that and until today, no delivery date. It seems that orders placed before end of 2020 do not have any delivery dates.

MS LR | Red | Cream |Tempest | Order RN1142 | November 2020

List of grievances:

• Musk says at the end of Jan production begins in a couple of weeks (X)
  • Musk says he will do a call for a product unveiling "probably next week" (X)
  • Tesla literally waits one week past the end of March to give any update on timeline - with no context (X)
  • Timeline given was July - SAs have no clue what's happening and haven't been told (X)
  • We have to wait another ~4 weeks to hear anything from Elon and its only during an earnings call (X)
  • "Probably start production next month [May]" (X)
  • Timelines for even early orders are updated to August, so far none in June (X)
  • Tesla again continues to fail to inform the SAs on what's happening (X)
  • Tesla is starting to remove features they've already advertised with the vehicle (X)
  • Nearly 4 months after the announcement of initial deliveries, still no product reveal with feature set presentations for $90 - $120k+ cars. (X)
  • Through all of this: no communication from the CEO who has probably tweeted over 100 times+ since March. (X)
  • No apology, consolation or anything to assure customers we are spending on our money in the right place. (X)(X)(X)

So basically, haven't cancelled yet because of a charging network and I want an EV. Hmm...

As an outsider here with a Plaid+ reservation I highly suggest essentially all of you back away from this thread. Is it frustrating, of course. Is it somewhat unexpected, no. Tesla comes out with things at their own pace but when these things eventually hit the streets it's literally world changing. For those who sold a car, um, maybe not do that next time. Tesla does know what they're doing. They're in no rush as the S and X are toy cars in their balance sheet. They're not going to make it fixed or better the next model year like all the other manufacturers do. They want it to be perfect.

Your car will be late.
Your estimates will be radically wrong.
Your car will be different than the car you ordered.
You mind will be blown and you'll be win heaven when it finally arrives.
In ~5-10 years you'll be in the same situation.
Do better.

Maybe have a rule where someone only posts if there's a firm and highly promising update.

As an outsider here with a Plaid+ reservation I highly suggest essentially all of you back away from this thread. Is it frustrating, of course. Is it somewhat unexpected, no. Tesla comes out with things at their own pace but when these things eventually hit the streets it's literally world changing. For those who sold a car, um, maybe not do that next time. Tesla does know what they're doing. They want it to be perfect. They're in no rush as the S and X are toy cars in their balance sheet.

Your car will be late.
Your estimates will be radically wrong.
Your car will be different than the car you ordered.
You mind will be blown and you'll be win heaven when it finally arrives.
In ~5-10 years you'll be in the same situation.
Do better.

Maybe have a rule where someone only posts if there's a firm and highly promising update.

Not going to lie - I don't think they are as "world changing" as they used to be. For example, I think the Ford Mustang Mach E drives better and is built better than the Model Y (so is the ID4 for that matter).

What Telsa has on everyone's head right now is the charging network and integrated tech (map with charging spot info + navigation with charging, and a mostly useful app that works correctly most of the time).

This isn't 2015, Tesla isn't as far ahead of competitors as you think. Quite frankly, if Electrify America didn't suck so much ass, I'd be on board 100% with a Rivian or Ford F-150 Lightning (which Im putting a deposit down on if I can next week).

List of grievances:

• Musk says at the end of Jan production begins in a couple of weeks (X)
  • Musk says he will do a call for a product unveiling "probably next week" (X)
  • Tesla literally waits one week past the end of March to give any update on timeline - with no context (X)
  • Timeline given was July - SAs have no clue what's happening and haven't been told (X)
  • We have to wait another ~4 weeks to hear anything from Elon and its only during an earnings call (X)
  • "Probably start production next month [May]" (X)
  • Timelines for even early orders are updated to August, so far none in June (X)
  • Tesla again continues to fail to inform the SAs on what's happening (X)
  • Tesla is starting to remove features they've already advertised with the vehicle (X)
  • Nearly 4 months after the announcement of initial deliveries, still no product reveal with feature set presentations for $90 - $120k+ cars. (X)
  • Through all of this: no communication from the CEO who has probably tweeted over 100 times+ since March. (X)
  • No apology, consolation or anything to assure customers we are spending on our money in the right place. (X)(X)(X)

So basically, haven't cancelled yet because of a charging network and I want an EV. Hmm...
I don't care about the charging network, but I think Tesla makes some amazing vehicles and I want one. Also, this is replacing a garage kept car that only went out on sunny days, so I am not being hurt by the delays in any way. That car is sold, and now I'm just waiting to fill that empty spot in my garage.

Not going to lie - I don't think they are as "world changing" as they used to be. For example, I think the Ford Mustang Mach E drives better and is built better than the Model Y (so is the ID4 for that matter).

What Telsa has on everyone's head right now is the charging network and integrated tech (map with charging spot info + navigation with charging, and a mostly useful app that works correctly most of the time).

This isn't 2015, Tesla isn't as far ahead of competitors as you think. Quite frankly, if Electrify America didn't suck so much ass, I'd be on board 100% with a Rivian or Ford F-150 Lightning (which Im putting a deposit down on if I can next week).

Couldn't disagree more but the chances of either of us changing the others mind is highly unlikely.

Enjoy the very useful thread. :p

Not a bad idea!
I think the lightening will be an amazing vehicle and could, somewhat sneakily, grab huge market share. The F150 is already the best selling vehicle of all time. Making it into an EV could be an actual game changer.

I have a 2-part question/comment. I will Comment first:
My delivery just updated to Aug for RN1145 (MSLR Black w/Arachnid wheels. Delivery was scheduled for St Louis, MO, but I'm going for training down in FL. I'm going to have to call and change the delivery location. Also, I'm going to request a change from Black to Red and swap out Arachnid Wheels for 19" standard. I've been waffling on the color (I've always owned black vehicles... I guess it's my thing. I was an auto detailer in my past life and polishing a car to make it a black mirror has always been a relaxing hobby for me). But the red looks so good on this car. The deciding factor was when I showed the website build of my car to my wife, she said, "You're getting a Nissan Altima?" I hadn't noticed before, but she's right. That Altima is one good looking car.
I decided to go to the standard 19" wheels after reading people's experiences with the 21" hard ride, expensive short-lived tires, and published reduction in range. The arachnids look awesome, and the 19" are just kind of ok... But with the best value, everyday drive and cost of ownership is better with the 19's. (Change my mind).
Anyway, I said all that to say this. Has anyone else had to change delivery location? Especially over a significant distance like St. Louis to Ft. Walton Beach, FL? It may push my delivery date and "maybe" delivery fees? But F-it, I've waited this long already, and the less time the car spends at the beach the better (Sand, Salt and Smash n' grabbers). But my actual question is, What is the best number to call to make these changes? If I have an SA, I have no idea who they are. When I ordered the car they called me and were very knowledgeable about the cars and very smart (and she sounded really cute). Once the order was complete I never heard another word from them. I've tried to find a customer service number, but it's a runaround to talk to a human. Anyone know a shortcut to get right to the right person to make these changes?
Dammit, I am rambling and actually have real work to do. Out

Not a bad idea!
I think the lightening will be an amazing vehicle and could, somewhat sneakily, grab huge market share. The F150 is already the best selling vehicle of all time. Making it into an EV could be an actual game changer.

Yeah - I'm excited to see it. Though, for a vehicle of that size, I wouldn't dare buy one that didn't get at least 400 miles of rated range - which is why I'm not looking at the Hummer EV. I've had a reservation for a Rivian for quite some time, in case Tesla started being, well, you know, Tesla.

@AnselmDante - I think you're wrong about the truck crowd. Will they need to be won over? Sure. But they will enjoy the power and torque absolutely. What I think truck people (not just hillbillies) hate about Tesla people is their arrogance and "hoiler than thou" attitude with all their dumbass vanity plates.

I took my Tesla into the deep south multiple times and once people realized I wasn't some jackass bleeding heart - they were genuinely curious and interested in the car/tech (many asked if there was an electric truck coming out - I did not show them the cybertruck because that thing is embarrassing and not what is going to transition most normal people off of trucks). Key is - you don't talk down to people and tell them how bad they are and how much better you are than them. Perhaps a different approach of selling them on the value/performance/etc. is the correct way to go. I'm sure Ford/GM knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubsnlinux