Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody who went to the event last night find out if they are using mega castings? Or has anybody else mentioned it? I’ve been trying to read the last hundred pages since last night but I couldn’t find anything
I specifically asked an engineer about this and he said “not yet”. I know I said this yesterday but i swear I will post my photos of the event (incl. the frame) shortly!

So about the video. The intent was to give folks a feel for how much turning was involved during daily driving tasks when using the yoke. It was also my second drive in the car and I want folks to keep that in mind. I am trying to figure out the yoke thing and the turn signal thing at the same time, so, yeah, it is probably not all that inspiring to watch. The thing is though, I took the wife out again for a short drive last night and I feel my brain doing less processing and the movements starting to fall into place. I guess that is the message--there is a learning curve and some re-programming that needs to happen but, I think, for most folks it'll be a quick progression.

So about the video. The intent was to give folks a feel for how much turning was involved during daily driving tasks when using the yoke. It was also my second drive in the car and I want folks to keep that in mind. I am trying to figure out the yoke thing and the turn signal thing at the same time, so, yeah, it is probably not all that inspiring to watch. The thing is though, I took the wife out again for a short drive last night and I feel my brain doing less processing and the movements starting to fall into place. I guess that is the message--there is a learning curve and some re-programming that needs to happen but, I think, for most folks it'll be a quick progression.
For folks that have paddle shifters and going down a twisty mountain road, somewhat similar I think. I will practice on the MB while I wait for the Plaid.😁

For folks that like backing in, 🤔😄perhaps get FSD and do self park?

Reactions: omarsultan
This car will be unlike anything most of us will have driven on the street when it comes to pulling at higher speeds. It will be unlike anything any of us has driven on the street when it comes to the instantaneous availability of that power.
If past experience is anything to go by, there will STILL be people who complain about the high end, since the torque is so much lower there (and increasing drag also hurts of course). “It feels slow at 90mph.” I can hear them now. That flat power curve is so weak feeling to people, apparently. Haha. Never bothered me, but people can be tough to please!

Must be something about the substantially and continuously reducing acceleration on the flat part of the power curve that bothers these negative jerks (who are sensing negative jerk, haha).

Personally I think I would be happy with 1000HP.

A few corrections to this.

Not “all” modern cars have this but it’s pretty common. But, when people say “variable ratio” there are really two different systems. There is this one and then there is a fully variable system. That one actually uses a device to literally change the ratio based on parameters such as speed, etc. It doesn’t consist of a rack with variable spaced teeth, it consists of a set of gears which can instantly change the angle of steering vs. angle of wheel input at any time. It’s been around for a number of years. Audi and BMW use it.

some say it’s odd feeling, others don’t mind.

Thank you, this is what I was referring to. There doesn’t seem to be a broadly accepted term for a on-demand variable ratio system

Tesla bring the future to us, some are more accepting of this than others.

RT

Plaid SuperCharging, 146kW @ 52% 64F 20210612_075523.jpg

3 decades for me...

Cool.

What you mention is an acceleration, caused by warping of SP, counteracted by a force of atmospheric drag, or the normal force of the earth.

I don’t think I ever actually mentioned “gravity“ itself in my original post. I only tried to describe “g”s, as in the earth’s gravitational force.

Not an easy concept, but think about it.

I would rather not. I don’t want a headache. I don’t know much of anything about the astrophysical underpinning of gravity.

My point is a free fall will not give you the force feeling of a plaid. Catapult launch would be closer..

I think that that was what I was originally saying (more or less). 1.3 - 1.4 g’s is like the feeling of starting to free fall plus 30 - 40%. But you’re right, a catapult is a better/simpler analogy.

I can't imagine life without free premium data and supercharging. That's the biggest thing holding me back from buying a LR. The yoke seems like it will just take an adjustment. I actually don't mind the smart gear. I don't want to spend on FSD again but I'll do it since LR X seems to be a great value at 110k. The S is just too sexy but no 7 seat rear facing option is an issue.

@omarsultan - S has had puddle lights in handles since 2016 at least. They aren't super bright but I like them with the chrome at night. They do fail (the light or handles or both) but the Abstract Ocean replacements were pretty cool.

Cool.

I don’t think I ever actually mentioned “gravity“ itself in my original post. I only tried to describe “g”s, as in the earth’s gravitational force.

I would rather not. I don’t want a headache. I don’t know much of anything about the astrophysical underpinning of gravity.

I think that that was what I was originally saying (more or less). 1.3 - 1.4 g’s is like the feeling of starting to free fall plus 30 - 40%. But you’re right, a catapult is a better/simpler analogy.

Imagine a water balloon. Try dropping it, it does not change shape. Try throwing it, it does deform.

Your body in a plaid during launch probably feels like the latter.

Reactions: omarsultan