Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone else just posted this a page or two back, but for those that already took delivery of the Plaid, what is the insurance premium like?

Haven't taken delivery yet, but did receive a VIN. Maybe @omarsultan or @Atomadam can chime in.

Using my VIN, Progressive gave me a policy for $665/6mos ($1,330/year) for the Model S Plaid. That's roughly the same premium as my '20 Model X Performance (0-60 2.6s).

Now that I think about it, the fact that switching an option ups your purchase price almost makes me think you're "writing a new order". I wonder if this has any effect on pushing you to the back of the line. If this line exists anyway. I think we found Omar ordered his Plaid car pretty briefly before getting a VIN.
It’s pretty obvious at this point that this imaginary line does not, in fact, exist. It seems highly likely that a new Plaid order with wood trim, and black or cream interior, placed today, will arrive before CF or white interior orders from several months ago.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, the fact that switching an option ups your purchase price almost makes me think you're "writing a new order". I wonder if this has any effect on pushing you to the back of the line. If this line exists anyway. I think we found Omar ordered his Plaid car pretty briefly before getting a VIN.
Just imagine every build/config has its master queue then each region has its regional queue. As the end of quarter approach, region that cannot be delivered is pushed to the next quarter.

It’s pretty obvious at this point that this imaginary line does not, in fact, exist! It seems highly likely that a new Plaid order with wood trim, and black or cream interior - placed today, will arrive before CF or white interior orders from several months ago.
For what it is worth, the studio designer today now says "White or Carbon Fiber deliveries begin in August".

Haven't taken delivery yet, but did receive a VIN. Maybe @omarsultan or @Atomadam can chime in.

Using my VIN, Progressive gave me a policy for $665/6mos ($1,330/year) for the Model S Plaid. That's roughly the same premium as my '20 Model X Performance (0-60 2.6s).
Wow! I’m surprised given this is a rocketship on wheels snd glass roof. But that great to hear. I appreciate you sharing that info.

omarsultan and adamatom, if I may ask, was the auto insurance reasonable considering you now drive a rocket ship? I’m quite concerned even though I haven’t had a ticket in 55 years. Did you use Tesla insurance or something else. Sorry if this subject has been dealt with previously.
I had the same concern, but it was reasonable. The 6-mo premium on the Plaid is ~$80 more than my wife's '16 Model X P90D. This is USAA.

Does anyone know if the new MS has soft close doors? Given this high price point and it’s competitors in this same price range I would hope it does.
Also, my german car currently had the kick to release feature for the truck, to both open and close. Is this sort of function on the new MS as well?

Does anyone know if the new MS has soft close doors? Given this high price point and it’s competitors in this same price range I would hope it does.
Also, my german car currently had the kick to release feature for the truck, to both open and close. Is this sort of function on the new MS as well?
Do not know about the soft close doors, @omarsultan could answer. Does not seem like it from the videos.

On the trunk kick to release - there is nothing saying it is there from OEM. You can use the fob or phone, or a third-party aftermarket.

Basically, if you order MSM, Black or Blue with all black interior you have a very high chance of getting delivery in June. Because literally every car in the drone videos is one of the above mentioned colors. White and Red exterior and all white interior with both CF or Wood are screwed and will have to wait until August. I had June 21-30 as delivery date which switched to June for a couple of days but disappeared a day before the event. Still blank. So difficult to time the sale of my current car. I don't know how people who have had orders since last year are dealing with it.
That certainly seems the case. My 1/27 LR order was Blue/Black, but changed to Cream in early April after getting assurance from my SA (yeah, don’t remind me what that’s worth) that my RN # wouldn’t change and it wouldn’t put me to the back of the line. Now I’m wishing I hadn’t made that change, as black interiors almost certainly will ship first, and there is that nagging doubt that changing puts me ten weeks behind where I was, even though my RN is the same. Oh well. Just have to hope that interior pops like I hope it will then the wait will be worth it.

No on both