Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reality there are handful of things that show that their SW wasn't quite ready. Screen tilt is listed on the website and doesn't work as of now (awaiting sw update), audio on rear screen can't be played by itself, no way to connect Bluetooth devices on rear screen (may be it works but TeslaRaj couldn't get it to work with his air pods), noise cancelation isn't active as of now. Lastly, this isn't Plaid specific of course, FSD. Whatever happened to the beta or the FSD update button.
Some YouTuber posted a video with 0-60 timings on Tesla's website excludes roll out from Plaid's numbers but doesn't exclude it from LR numbers to show the gap is bigger than normal. Now I'm aware Tesla might software limit LR even further to keep this gap but it'll still be a bull crap practice and dishonest advertising.
I'm also sour I don't have a VIN yet 😏
It seems pretty ridiculous for you to complain about functions that haven't been activated on a car you don't own yet. We are still very early on, and at this point only 25 cars have been delivered. The car is still running off of very early beta software, and will most likely be updated before regular deliveries are made. Tesla has shown us that they are the only automotive company that (can and does) significantly improve the vehicle over time with their seamless OTA updates. I have full confidence that all of the issues you complained about will be fixed with OTA updates in due time. Obviously, @omarsultan understands this and is confident that the few kinks he is experiencing will be rectified in short order.

Last edited:
To add to what others have said and correct a small error, the sound canceling mics should be as close to the ears they want the sound correction applied to. The speaker distance to the expected ear position is known and can be accounted for. The longer the sound wave is, the easier it is to match the inverse phase and cancel it. For high frequencies where the wavelength is short, movement of the head will make effective cancellation impossible.

I'm not sure that's correct. If the noise originates 10 miles from your ears and you measure the noise and cancel it from that same spot it should work. If it's 10 miles away and you measure and cancel from 5 miles away I believe that should work too. If you measure right at your ears and then cancel using speakers that aren't close to the microphones that wouldn't work. So it's the distance between the mics and the speakers that matters, not the distance between the mics and your ears.

The cars knows what sounds it is playing because, well, it is then playing them. It can get an approximation of what you are hearing from the seat mic. Any different between those two sound waves is classified as noise (things you are hearing that are not in the original material). It doe snot make any difference if the source is outside the care (like road noise) or inside the car. Doing lots of math, the car can then add a sound wave to whatever you are listening to that "cancels" out the noise. Cancel is a strong term, but a good ANC system will further lower the noise floor.

In theory if noise cancellation were perfect, you might cancel out other people talking in the car but that could be a very desirable feature rather than a bug :)

And we'll probably see that Plaid is actually quite close to the LR when it comes to 0-60 times. Basically anyone ordering LR is actually getting better bang for his buck. As excited as I am to get my Plaid, I'm quite disappointed to see disingenuous advertising from Tesla. This isn't even my first time buying a Tesla, still this over promising of features and under delivering of those promises is quite distasteful.

LR and Plaid won't even be in the same realm. When Tesla updated the 3 with a 0-60 time of 3.1 on their site, actual times have remained unchanged for quite some time. A P3 can still do 0-60 in around 3 seconds flat at best if you are doing the 1' measurement, plus or minus a few hundredths. I'm pretty confident 0-60 will be a full second apart and the gap will increase exponentially beyond that. While I do agree about the over-promising part, I still think there will be significant separation between the two. The 3rd motor makes all the difference in extra pulling power as speeds increase.

It seems pretty ridiculous for you to complain about functions that haven't been activated on a car you don't own yet. We are still very early on, and at this point only 25 cars have been delivered. The car is still running off of very early beta software, and will most likely be updated before regular deliveries are made. Tesla has shown us that they are the only automotive company that (can and does) significantly improve the vehicle over time with their seamless OTA updates. I have full confidence that all of the issues you complained about will be fixed with OTA updates in due time. Obviously, @omarsultan understands this and is confident that the few kinks he is experiencing will be rectified in short order.
FWIW - in just over 2 years I drove my Jag EV, I think JLR had 2-3 OTA updates and they really didn’t have many improvements or any new features…just bug fixes. I really thought the OTA s/w updates would’ve been more like Tesla OTA s/w updates but no, not even close.

@omarsultan couple more questions for you when you feel like replying:

1) Does your plaid have the ability of driving with pretty much only the accelerator pedal like the model 3? My model S has the older hardware that requires the brake pedal to come to a complete stop even though it slows down fast when I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal.

2) How is the overall build quality? Any squeaks, creaks or rattles? My car sadly had multiple visits to the service center to resolve a few rattles.

Thanks again.

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Go Eagles!!

Thanks for the window sticker image. That answers a bunch of questions I had. I have a few more for you when you get to post again:

1) Did your car come with the 110V home charging cable and the adapter to use with non-Tesla charging stations plugs? These 2 accessories have saved me quite a few times on long distance trips.
2) Have you tried connecting your car to the mobile hotspot on your phone? If so, does it reconnect automatically when you start the car in drive next time after exiting? I have to manually reconnect to my mobile hotspot every time I put the car in D in my 2019 Model S.
3) Wondering if they made any changes to the dimensions of the glass roof. I had purchased a 3rd party mesh net to reduce the heat from the sun for my Model S, and want to reuse it in my new car if possible.
4) How noisy is the pedestrian warning system? My car did not come with it, so am wondering if you can hear it from inside the vehicle.
5) Have you tried plugging in a USB drive with music files to one of the USB ports and playing them? Any thoughts on how you like the music interface on the new screen?
6) The user manual says that the new car comes with a USB drive in the glovebox for the dashcam? Can you confirm if you got it in your car?

Again, thanks for your replies and congratulations on your Plaid. It looks fantastic!
3) 58.5" x 45.5"
5) Tried plugging in a USB drive--recongized it and could read the songs, but got laid errors. In the past I have noticed Teslas are picky about USB drives, so let me see what bands pass muster. USB simply shows up as another source

I'm not sure that's correct. If the noise originates 10 miles from your ears and you measure the noise and cancel it from that same spot it should work. If it's 10 miles away and you measure and cancel from 5 miles away I believe that should work too. If you measure right at your ears and then cancel using speakers that aren't close to the microphones that wouldn't work. So it's the distance between the mics and the speakers that matters, not the distance between the mics and your ears.
Sorry, you aren’t correct. Forget 5-10 miles away, it’s irrelevant. The sound waves that reach your ears are the ones you hear. The most accurate place for a microphone to be is on the surface of your eardrum. Low frequencies are easy to cancel as your head position won’t move more than 1/4 wavelength and the wave can be canceled. The higher the frequency, the more position is important to cancel the wave as it reaches your ear. To cancel it has to be the same amplitude and 180 out of phase at the eardrum. That’s why the microphones are placed near the head.

@omarsultan couple more questions for you when you feel like replying:

1) Does your plaid have the ability of driving with pretty much only the accelerator pedal like the model 3? My model S has the older hardware that requires the brake pedal to come to a complete stop even though it slows down fast when I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal.

2) How is the overall build quality? Any squeaks, creaks or rattles? My car sadly had multiple visits to the service center to resolve a few rattles.

Thanks again.
1) Yes
2) Everything tight so far

Sorry, you aren’t correct. Forget 5-10 miles away, it’s irrelevant. The sound waves that reach your ears are the ones you hear. The most accurate place for a microphone to be is on the surface of your eardrum. Low frequencies are easy to cancel as your head position won’t move more than 1/4 wavelength and the wave can be canceled. The higher the frequency, the more position is important to cancel the wave as it reaches your ear. To cancel it has to be the same amplitude and 180 out of phase at the eardrum. That’s why the microphones are placed near the head.

If the speaker isn't close to the microphone then when you produce a sound that's 180 degrees out of phase with respect to what the microphone picked up it will no longer be 180 degrees out of phase when it reaches your eardrum. If the speaker IS close to the microphone then it doesn't matter how far it is from your eardrum because the noise and the anti-noise will remain out of phase no matter how far they have to travel to your eardrum.

In theory if noise cancellation were perfect, you might cancel out other people talking in the car but that could be a very desirable feature rather than a bug :)
Hah. That was my next observation - if how you (and omar) described it working is true (and it sounds about right to me), other sound sources within the car would be 'cancelled' as well whether that be voices or whatever. I can sort of see why this system would have to be 'smarter' than what we find in headphones which might explain why it isn't implemented yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
So, I had a YouTube dude fly up form LA to look at the car and do a review for his channel. As part of that, we did some drag strip starts. :). So, some observations:
  • It only tool 3 min to warm up. It was high 80s, car was outside in the sun, had not been driven in 7 hrs
  • When its warming, it sounds like a jet taking off
  • OMFG its is fast!!
  • We did 7 or 8 0-60 starts back to back and the car did not break a sweat--it was immediately ready to go
The runs were not instrumented, but I should have some video to share in a bit--I asked for some clips.

Did I mention, OMFG!!!
This is pure gold!! Thank you @omarsultan 😳👍🏻