Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After surprisingly less of a wait than I expected, I'm thrilled to announce that our Model S has arrived! Only hiccup...before it was delivered to us in Miami the Dania Service Center inspected the car as it came off the transport truck. During the inspection, they found a problem where the back left door handle would extend and retract, but not open the door. They repaired it within a day and delivered it in perfect condition. Car had 26 miles on it with 110 miles of charge when it arrived. Firmware was 4.1.

Cool stories:
After our DS Jacques backed the car off the trailer, he parked his truck and trailer on the side of my quiet street in Pinecrest. Apparently my across the street neighbor got spooked and called the police. When they arrived, we casually explained what was going on and I gave the officer a thorough tour of the car. He had the Tesla grin and was blown away. And then this morning while dropping my daughter off to school the very first person to see the car asked about it. After I gave her the story and drove away, I heard her say to her colleague, "that's what I want for my next car."

Stats:
Placed deposit for 9,372 on 6/8/12.
Received config email on 12/3/12. Finalized within 3 hours.
Countersigned on 12/4/12.
Received delivery window of 1/20/13 - 2/3/13 and VIN: 3452 on 1/9/13
Delivery to our house in Miami, FL on 1/24/13

So, I just got off the phone with Juan and Don. Juan will deliver my car tomorrow around lunch time. Don will come shortly thereafter to do a Tesla-sponsored detailing. I'm going to cackle for the next few hours. It's going to be a long flight back from LA tonight.

Hee, hee, hee.

So, I just got off the phone with Juan and Don. Juan will deliver my car tomorrow around lunch time. Don will come shortly thereafter to do a Tesla-sponsored detailing. I'm going to cackle for the next few hours. It's going to be a long flight back from LA tonight.

Hee, hee, hee.

Congrats. I had Teslinsomnia for the two days before I got my car. I had combined about 4 hours of sleep.

So my delivery was less eventful than Aaron's, but equally positive. My car (P9096, VIN 3450, 85kWh, Blue/Tan/Obeche Matt, Tech, Sound, Pano, 19", Air) arrived at the Queens service center yesterday. I'd spent so much time on the forum, that I didn't learn too much in the walk through and was eager to get home to take her for a quick spin with the family before dark.

The first few minutes alone with the Model S were a little stressful - pulling out of the crowded service center onto a busy highway at rush hour in a part of New York that I don't know, figuring out the unfamiliar controls while trying to navigate, etc., but once on the highway...wow! This car can move. At one point, I needed to merge left onto the busy Long Island Expressway, saw a gap and floored it - whoosh - done, leaving plenty of time to admire the view of the car behind me and lots of open road in the rear view camera.

The Model S reminds me of the Tardis in Dr Who; it plays tricks with your perception of space. At one time, it looks quite compact, like a regular, upmarket family sedan.
DSC_0011.jpg

Another time, it snarls like a wicked fast sports car.
DSC_0034.jpg

Then you climb in, and there's so much open space that it feels huge yet somehow calm and peaceful.
DSC_0029.jpg

But then, you take to the road and it moves with such precision that it feels no more difficult to maneuver than a Mini.
DSC_0019.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg

Anyway, she soon made it to the comfort of her new home next to her personal NEMA 14-50 on one side and my wife's Ford Focus Electric on the other.
DSC_0047.jpg

I was quite relieved to see that, while my measurements suggested both cars should fit, though it would be quite tight, in reality it seems to be perfectly workable without requiring yoga moves to get in and out.

Now, it's snowing here, and I need to drive a few miles to some friends for dinner, so the question is, do we take the Tesla or the Ford? I'll tell you later...

To all those still waiting, hang in there. It's truly a step function change in the driving experience and the best thing is, it will continue to get better from here with every new software release.

I can't wait to do our first long trip, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
It's been a Tesla-centric day. This afternoon, I wrapped up a lengthy email discussion with my DES. I'm on the schedule to pick up the car in the Chicago Service Center at 4:00 on Jan 31st. I happily lost the "under" in my office pool by eight hours.

This evening, my wife and I were out at a local restaurant. We live in a small-ish, Mayberry-esque community (pop 32,000) in NW Indiana. As we were leaving, a co-worker of mine saw us, and signaled me to come over. He was there with another couple, and they asked me if I was the one getting the Tesla. I said yes, I'm picking it up on Thursday, and they said, "Oh, our son works for Tesla." I figured they meant in Chicago, so I asked which store, and they said, "No, he works at the factory in Fremont." I was quite surprised. I played the odds and asked if he worked on the assembly floor, but they said, "No, he's a chemist. He worked on the battery. He also told us you're getting a green car, and it looks really nice." Blew. My. Mind. I was so taken aback that I left without offering them a test drive! Guess I'll have to hook up with my co-worker to track them down next weekend!

HFh's latest family addition

So, Juan said he'd arrive between 11 and 1 and he arrives at EXACTLY 11am.

THE CAR IS SPECTACULAR. It needs a detailing and a Tesla-sponsored one will happen between now and Tuesday (was going to happen to today but the detailer was in a fender-bender this morning, sadly). Truthfully, the car is clean inside and just has a sheen of dirt on the outside. Came with 4.1 but I plugged it in my 14-50 and it downloaded 4.2 (.42) while I walked a mis-delivered package up the street with my five year old. Homelink worked on the first try, charging seems to be fine (hard to tell because it came with 237 miles), no bluetooth issues with iphone 5 so far (4.3 needs to download contacts pictures though), handles present, the car fits into my garage with some care, AND OMG THIS CAR IS AWESOME SO SMOOTH SO FAST BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

Ahem.

I spent about 2 hours showing off the car to my neighbors who have a deep interest in the car (in fact, I knew the 18 wheeler had arrived because one of them texted me with "It's here!"). I'm in a very good mood.

I'm on my way to work after a very crazy day. A full delivery story will be forthcoming with some photos in the next few days but just as a data point, I picked up my car today and love it.

I also think I may be able to claim a 1st but would like to hear from anyone who may have beat me to the punch: I believe I may have been the first to take delivery while wearing a proper tartan kilt. Correct me if I am wrong.

Off to work ( in my Kia :( ) so will have to give the details later.

No regrets.

Cheers

Had a pretty busy day myself (but at least I'm going to bed now, not to work, poor Ceilidh)
Factory pickup at 9am
Left factory at 11:30 to run over for swim lesson at 12:30
Birthday party at Pump-It-Up at 1:30-3:45
Family dinner banquet at 5

Gave a few test drives tonight and made a sale or two.
Used about 100 miles of rated range to drive 70 actual miles today :)

Here's a pic of our car with today's tour guide Tim.

IMGP0356.JPG

PS - Jump seats were installed, parcel shelf and UMC chrome trim on due bill. no license plate frame nor frunk net.
Also, made our first Model S sighting from our own Model S today (blue outside of Safeway in Belmont). It was hilarious because we were all waving furiously at each other!

Last edited:
Ah, answered my own question. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I'm on my way to work after a very crazy day. A full delivery story will be forthcoming with some photos in the next few days but just as a data point, I picked up my car today and love it.

I also think I may be able to claim a 1st but would like to hear from anyone who may have beat me to the punch: I believe I may have been the first to take delivery while wearing a proper tartan kilt. Correct me if I am wrong.

Off to work ( in my Kia :( ) so will have to give the details later.

No regrets.

Cheers