Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. The car is awesome, the delivery experience was great, took about an hour then I had a factory tour for about an hour and the factory is really humming. Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. Overall it was a great experience and can highly recommend factory delivery.
Congratulations! Wow :)

What color did you pick with which options?

I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. The car is awesome, the delivery experience was great, took about an hour then I had a factory tour for about an hour and the factory is really humming. Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. Overall it was a great experience and can highly recommend factory delivery.

Congrats! You didn't happen to get pictures of the VINs he was inspecting, did you?:smile: Have fun.

Performance, Pearl White, black interior with CF trim and spoiler, Pano roof and 21" grey wheels

Anyone with the same options who has been bypassed? I'd still bet that the problems are with specific options as opposed to regional delivery differences.

In his interview yesterday Elon said you can't ship a car missing a backseat, which might be just a rhetorical statement, but still points to problems with specific components. In fact he said 1-2% of parts are causing real headaches.

I am SSL #29, just took delivery today of my Model S with vin #26. ... Bumped in Elon inspecting finished cars at the end of the production line, this guy is really involved. ...

I can't believe Elon is still inspecting cars. Doesn't he have better things to do? He can't train somebody else to do that? They don't need him in upper management at SpaceX or Tesla?

Anyone with the same options who has been bypassed? I'd still bet that the problems are with specific options as opposed to regional delivery differences.

In his interview yesterday Elon said you can't ship a car missing a backseat, which might be just a rhetorical statement, but still points to problems with specific components. In fact he said 1-2% of parts are causing real headaches.

During an interview, Elon stated that as he inspects the cars, if he finds anything that he considers imperfect, the car goes back into the assembly line at the point of the problem. If enough vehicles are sent back it might explain the high number in reservations scheduled for delivery and why it appears some of the reservations are skipped. Those vehicles may have been sent back into the line for correction.

Elon also mentioned an example of a headlight that he found 3mm out of algnment (calibrated eyeball?) and when he approached the worker responsible, it was determined that he was using old shimming data. So he says rapid communication is a key issue that need to be addressed and also informed his workers that anything they find that may be in error should be brought up regardless of where his instruction had come from. In other words, see a problem, speak up.

The interview was posted somewhere here or at TM forum. If I find it, I'll post it.

In deep with Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Financials, Falcon doors and finding faults in the Model S

Last edited:
I can't believe Elon is still inspecting cars. Doesn't he have better things to do? He can't train somebody else to do that? They don't need him in upper management at SpaceX or Tesla?

It's a great management technique. By putting the personal touch on the final product he's directing his employees to focus their efforts there as well. He is, by actions, telling his people to make the cars as if it was his personal car. The man is a natural born leader. It reminds me of the scene in "Patton" where Patton hops off his jeep to direct traffic and stop a bottleneck of his forces.

Headed south in VIN #70 now after our pickup and tour. Charging at the Salinas Rabobank before heading to San Luis Obispo for the night.

Elon was there today??? Man so bummed not to meet him.

Factory was LOADED with S's. And we caught sight of lots more apparently finished cars outside. (saw 20+ outside, maybe many more as was restricted view in distance).

Delivery was wonderful. Great team taking us through the process. Amazing tour of an amazing factory. (no pics allowed, sorry.) Saw it at the S event when it felt more like a museum. Now it's a humming machine churning out cars (at a measured pace now but you can see what's coming given the large number in production). Lots of people at work on a Saturday afternoon.

Loving this car... More on that later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347158232.080809.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347158400.265068.jpg

Reactions: sorka
Just came back from the Santana Row store. The manager confirmed that anyone with a number less than 4000 with air suspension and 60 or 85 battery will definitely ship in 2012.

Needed to hear that - like a kid on a long ride asking "are half way there yet?" but I really am having trouble waiting three more months, never mind three more years. Thanks for that encouraging news. R#1079 60 kWh

We are SSL #141 Signature Red Performance, and just got the call that our delivery is scheduled for between Sept 17th and Oct 1st.
Yes, today is saturday - I was not expecting a call on the weekend - clearly they are working hard to organize many deliveries right now.

We are SSL #141 Signature Red Performance, and just got the call that our delivery is scheduled for between Sept 17th and Oct 1st.
Yes, today is saturday - I was not expecting a call on the weekend - clearly they are working hard to organize many deliveries right now.

Did anyone else just get an e-mail? Looks like some people got e-mails and others got calls.

Talk about timing: As I'm typing this, I got an e-mail from Tesla saying that my exact delivery date is still not know. Wow, they are working late on a Saturday!