Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in ancient times I started this thread to help pass the time while waiting up to 4 years for our Signature Model S delivery dates. So the VIN assignments upfront helped facilitate that. I wanted to make it so that people didn't have to read long posts to get to that key info. Over time the tread has certainly morphed to all things delivery related and then some. I'm happy with the way it evolved and too have enjoyed new owners to be just as excited as we were waiting for our Signature Model S's in 2012!
Loving this thread as always! Thanks for creating such a great place to spread positivity and talk about one of, if not the best car in the world! We appreciate you.🥂🥂😁😁😁🙂🙂

Picked my Plaid up from the detail shop on Friday. Full Suntek Ultra PPF, 30% ceramic tinted windows, ceramic coating on car and wheels.

Wife and I took the car on a nice long weekend road trip. (First time supercharging) Car behaved perfectly. It is so hard to stay out of get a ticket range. This car is such an amazing highway cruiser. Just eats up miles.

View attachment 706011
Looks great, which shop did you use?

MSLR/MSM//Cream/Walnut/19” OD 3/25

I picked up my long range Friday. I posted my initial impressions.

Today I spent an hour inspecting the exterior and interior looking for flaws/defects. I found two.

The left front hood panel gap is not perfect. I had to run my finger over it to confirm that it is not perfectly aligned. I estimate that it is 1/8 inch off.

The rubber seal at the bottom of the front passenger door has a kink in it.

I could find no flaw in the paint. It is perfect.

That’s all I could find.

After reading about all of the fit and finish problems with Teslas I’m delighted.

Oh, by the way, the acceleration is insane. I know no one has said that yet. Just FYI.

Just picked her up - she’s GORGEOUS. Not a single issue at all that I’ve noticed and I followed the entire checklist provided by @MarcG. No panel gaps and weather strip is perfectly aligned. The only thing missing was the rear trunk cover, but they said it’d be shipped out to me.

Will do a more thorough inspection after I get home, just didn’t want to leave you guys hanging!

One thing I noticed is that the roof let’s in WAY more heat, so i shall be getting it tinted!

View attachment 705925

Follow up:

Delivery experience
My delivery advisor was top notch. He did everything he could to ensure I could take delivery the same day they received it from the train yard. The car was in pristine condition and I still can't find any QC issues. Was missing the trunk cover but they said it'll be mailed to me.

It was hands free, but they had someone helping me through it. They even kept my Model S inside the service room away from all the other cars, which they said was due to the value of the Plaid. They said all Plaid deliveries were to take place inside their garage with a delivery guy standing by in case I noticed any issues.

Interior
The seats are way more comfortable than my 21 Model Y seats and the ventilated seats really add to the experience. My wife usually hates ventilated seats but surprisingly she loves these ones.

As you're all aware, the tablet is WAY better than the old gen - I didn't realize how much faster it'd be. I can open YouTube or Netflix and have it ready to search within 3 seconds. The old gen took 20-30 seconds for any of these apps to load up. This alone makes a huge difference to my daily experience.

I wasn't sure about the yoke prior to delivery, but now that I've used it I absolutely love it and couldn't go back to a regular steering wheel. I got used to it within a couple hours and no longer have to look at the turn signal buttons - everything feels so natural. Even tight turns are a breeze once you get used to it. Note: I used to play video games a lot so learning new controls is very natural to me. The only thing I dislike about the yoke is the horn and wish it was just a regular horn.

Driving
Alright so this is kind of embarrassing, but I can't slam on the accelerator in Plaid mode. I didn't realize how intense the g-force was going to feel and start blacking out after I hit 45mph LOL. I don't know what to do about this. I tried tensing all my abs and legs like fighter pilots do prior to accelerating but it doesn't help. AHHHH!! Any tips would be appreciated lol.

Coming from a Y, the handling and suspension are incredible. I feel really connected to the road and it's way more stable than my Y.

Overall
The car is incredible. I'm absolutely blown away at this marvel of engineering. It's better than anything I could've imagined and I've read/watched most reviews out there.

Hang in there friends - this will be 100% worth the wait.

Last edited:
I know we’ve beat Tesla’s customer relations/communications problem to death but allow me to compare/contrast.

My wife loves Mercedes. She’s driven one for years. She wanted an EQS so we ordered one about six weeks ago. We were told that there was no reasonable estimate of a delivery date but it would be months, maybe as long as two years.

Last week we were told the car is in production. But, again we were told there was no real estimate of delivery but it would still probably be 6-8 months.

We are not frustrated with Mercedes. They have not predicted a delivery date they can’t deliver. We were conditioned to a long wait. I suspect they under promised and will over deliver but we will not be surprised or upset if the car is not delivered for 8 months.

Tesla could learn a lot from this.

Follow up:

Delivery experience
My delivery advisor was top notch. He did everything he could to ensure I could take delivery the same day they received it from the train yard. The car was in pristine condition and I still can't find any QC issues. Was missing the trunk cover but they said it'll be mailed to me.

It was hands free, but they had someone helping me through it. They even kept my Model S inside the service room away from all the other cars, which they said was due to the value of the Plaid. They said all Plaid deliveries were to take place inside their garage with a delivery guy standing by in case I noticed any issues.

Interior
The seats are way more comfortable than my 21 Model Y seats and the ventilated seats really add to the experience. My wife usually hates ventilated seats but surprisingly she loves these ones.

As you're all aware, the tablet is WAY better than the old gen - I didn't realize how much faster it'd be. I can open YouTube or Netflix and have it ready to search within 3 seconds. The old gen took 20-30 seconds for any of these apps to load up. This alone makes a huge difference to my daily experience.

I wasn't sure about the yoke prior to delivery, but now that I've used it I absolutely love it and couldn't go back to a regular steering wheel. I got used to it within a couple hours and no longer have to look at the turn signal buttons - everything feels so natural. Even tight turns are a breeze once you get used to it. Note: I used to play video games a lot so learning new controls is very natural to me. The only thing I dislike about the yoke is the horn and wish it was just a regular horn.

Driving
Alright so this is kind of embarrassing, but I can't slam on the accelerator in Plaid mode. I didn't realize how intense the g-force was going to feel and start blacking out after I hit 45mph LOL. I don't know what to do about this. I tried tensing all my abs and legs like fighter pilots do prior to accelerating but it doesn't help. AHHHH!! Any tips would be appreciated lol.

Coming from a Y, the handling and suspension are incredible. I feel really connected to the road and it's way more stable than my Y.

Overall
The car is incredible. I'm absolutely blown away at this marvel of engineering. It's better than anything I could've imagined and I've read/watched most reviews out there.

Great review.

The reviews seem to keep getting better. The only constant complaint is the horn. With such brilliant engineering what the heck?

Attachments

• B7099EA0-D63A-47CF-9267-DAD573AA7F3D.jpeg
    B7099EA0-D63A-47CF-9267-DAD573AA7F3D.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 80
To all of us living the dream these past 6-12 months. To those threatening to go somewhere else where the grass is greener. I think we all know this but nonetheless, the latest:

Last edited:
Follow up:

Delivery experience

Interior

Driving

Overall

Congrats and glad to hear that you didn’t find any issues from my checklist!

As for accelerating in Plaid mode, my only recommendation is: BREATHE. I know it can be overwhelming acceleration to the point where you’re literally out of breath, but take a good breath before you launch, and exhale while you accelerate - screaming can also help with that if you forget to exhale ;)

Picked up plaid today, delivery experience was smooth. Fit and finish are great, looked over everything very careful. Driving experience is out of this world, creeped into the 100s on accident a few times.

Did get a TPMS error on the display during the drive home, “Tire pressure system monitoring fault”. Guess I’ll need to schedule service for this?

Cheers.
I had the same issue. Drive the car for at least 30 mins straight it will figure its self out. Mine did

I had the same issue. Drive the car for at least 30 mins straight it will figure its self out. Mine did
Same here. That is, on the "it figured itself out" part.

How about a "front passenger seat restraint system malfunction detected" warning? Is that the same sort of thing, that goes away on its own (isn't a real fault)? It happened to me, but was gone the next day.

Canceling a plaid questions… I have two orders… one with a vin that is en route from Cali and coming this weekend and the other with a delivery date range that’s two weeks from now but still with no vin. I’m likely going with the no vin one because of options but I’m kinda still hedging with the one coming this weekend. I can just cancel whenever right? Should I give them a heads up that I might cancel or it doesn’t matter? Do I just click the cancel button or should I tell my SA? Just wondering about Tesla canceling etiquette… thx guys!

Driving
Coming from a previous MS P, the most shocking thing about the car is what happens between 40-80 mph. If you get a chance, and plenty of free road, try to get your foot all the way to the floor before 30 mph and keep it there through 90. The winding up starting at about 40 is truly impressive.

Have fun!!

Canceling a plaid questions… I have two orders… one with a vin that is en route from Cali and coming this weekend and the other with a delivery date range that’s two weeks from now but still with no vin. I’m likely going with the no vin one because of options but I’m kinda still hedging with the one coming this weekend. I can just cancel whenever right? Should I give them a heads up that I might cancel or it doesn’t matter? Do I just click the cancel button or should I tell my SA? Just wondering about Tesla canceling etiquette… thx guys!
Just cancel online. You might have someone reach out to ‘save’ the order. But if you tell them you are waiting for the other order it should be a quick conversation. And then your current order with a VIN goes into inventory or allocated to the next in line with the same config. Or is just offered to someone. Tesla lottery.

I was pleased to finally get a VIN on an early February LR order but I’m almost at the end of the delivery range that appeared with the VIN and still
haven’t heard from anyone about scheduling delivery. Maybe the holiday delayed things? Is this normal?
Unlikely. Contact your delivery center where you are set to take delivery and find out what is going on.