Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only issues included a few scratches under the driver's side front bumper, partially on the paint and also the protective plastic cover (see pic). They buffed them out for the most part. My shop is going to finish fixing the scratches prior to PPF. I have the worm and there is a very small scratch (maybe an 1/8 of inch) on the roof towards the windshield that wasn't enough for me to balk. Nothing else was noticeable to my eye. They are going to replace the plastic protection underneath and behind the front bumper.
I just heard from the detail shop. What I thought was a scratch on the roof was just adhesive of some sort. It came right off. I should also add that my car came with floormats, both trunk covers, and two fobs.

691C3DC2-F714-4236-BA53-55C85B5766F5.jpeg
8B6D6261-05E2-45FF-A599-4619024B30C2.jpeg

Not the best pics but I seriously can’t stop staring at her. Luckily my wifes M3 is with her at work so I can charge up; waiting on electrician to install wall charger in detached garage.

For those in and around the Carolinas with a mid-September EDD: Just called and they pinged the car - they said it is in transit and currently scheduled to arrive on the 19th.

I suppose assuming they're using mostly rail that a 2 week transit lead time makes sense. Is this what others see on the east coast / south east?

So I promised a more in-depth writeup, and now that the holiday weekend is over and I've had a few days and a few hundred miles with my car, here it is...

Delivery: My car was scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, but Wednesday night the SC was destroyed by Hurricane Ida, so it got pushed out two days (thankfully no one was hurt and only a 3 and a Y in the showroom were damaged, the other cars were kept in a safe lot a couple miles away). A guy drove it the 30mins from the temporary lot to my house, and drove my trade-in away. Personally, I would've preferred to pick it up myself but it was either that or nothing, and as you could imagine I was anxious to take delivery, so an extra 30 miles on the car isn't that big of a deal.

Fit/Finish: Went through @MarcG 's list and there was nothing awry, except for missing floor mats and trunk covers that they said I'll get after they receive them. It looks like the part shortage is affecting them, but I have no problem waiting for them - at least it's not something that's a showstopper there. Otherwise the car is perfect - beautiful inside and and out... the doors close with a more satisfying *thud* than my outgoing 2018 S, the windows raise and lower more silently, the trunk opens and closes more quieter too. The interior trim is nicer, and the CF looks 'real' (as opposed to covered with a ton of lacquer). There was a paper in the car that said "FC KICKBACK - NO QC INSPECTION NEEDED". I have no idea what an FC Kickback is, but my best guess is they select random samples off the line to do a factory QC inspection periodically to attempt to improve output? Lord knows they need it, haha. That said, the passenger seat had a part sticker on it that said "SEAT, FULL, MSX", so it looks like it had been replaced prior to delivery. The driver's seat piping has zero bunching up and the passenger side had very little. The "worm" (half-circle airbag seam) is only visible if you stare at it in direct sunlight (I've had BMWs that were worse), but if you point a camera at it, you can see it a bit better. I don't really care lol.

Driving: What can I say here? It's absurd fast. Just punching it from a stop is... well I can't say it's insane, or that it's ludicrous, because it's plaid lol. Letting the battery warm up 2-3mins by turning on Drag Strip mode makes it noticeably even more powerful, to the point where the tires struggle for grip on dry pavement. Haven't tried a full-on cheetah stance mode launch, but I haven't found a road flat enough for it (otherwise you end up with the 'cheetah scratches' I've seen pics of in this thread recently lol). I started recording peoples' reactions to launches in my car and I'm going to compile them into a video that I may share or may just keep for the lulz. As for the yoke and capacitive buttons, it doesn't need to be repeated that you get used to it... but you do. It's comfortable and even hand-over-hand turns become second nature. The turn signals take a bit more time, but that becomes second nature after 100 miles of driving as well.

Overall: This is the first car I've *loved* in a long time. I've had a lot of cars I've enjoyed, but this car is just all and everything I could want, and will be excited to drive it every time I do for the next 3-5 years (until something even more amazing comes along, lol). Here's the pic I took right after delivery again if anyone had missed it when I posted it Saturday. Thanks for the support all... but you know I can't leave this thread after spending most of a year on it just because I finally took delivery, haha.
43BBA1D4-E98D-4875-A04D-FA8398787293.jpeg

Last edited:
Datapoint: Plaid+ order RN1141 converted to Plaid order for a white, black interior CF 19” . had a EDD Sept 8 to 22 now showing Sept 21-24 with a MF442 Vin and east coast delivery.

Getting the VIN and 4 day EDD window coincided with getting an email with subject “2021 Model S Cash Final Payment Ready.”

As a stockholder I admire their cash management skills encouraging bank transfers 2 weeks before delivery, but as a customer I’ll pay with a check on the day of delivery after inspection.

For those in and around the Carolinas with a mid-September EDD: Just called and they pinged the car - they said it is in transit and currently scheduled to arrive on the 19th.

I suppose assuming they're using mostly rail that a 2 week transit lead time makes sense. Is this what others see on the east coast / south east?
Rail from west to east coast makes sense. All logistics are a mess these days with COVID impacts to crews, labor shortages because people don't want to work, and supply chain bottle necks that reduce intermodal productivity. Truck drivers are in short supply across the country, so I'd expect Tesla to maximize rail. But rail yards are a mess and routes are taking longer. Any way, sounds like yours is legitimately coming, so try to distract yourself for a couple of weeks!!

I just heard from the detail shop. What I thought was a scratch on the roof was just adhesive of some sort. It came right off. I should also add that my car came with floormats, both trunk covers, and two fobs.
Definitely look under the front bumper. It sits low and can get roughed up during transport.

Before:

6FE3E3FF-F869-4113-AE84-95F79DD4EBB1.jpeg
D9B2CBEC-897E-4F45-9575-C5E37AE699F6.jpeg

After:

FDACEA06-A574-43D6-9EE0-F74AA1C740F9.jpeg

Does anyone have the link for MS nationwide Existing Inventory that’s currently available? If so please post or DM me.
Try this link please.

Follow up:

Delivery experience
My delivery advisor was top notch. He did everything he could to ensure I could take delivery the same day they received it from the train yard. The car was in pristine condition and I still can't find any QC issues. Was missing the trunk cover but they said it'll be mailed to me.

It was hands free, but they had someone helping me through it. They even kept my Model S inside the service room away from all the other cars, which they said was due to the value of the Plaid. They said all Plaid deliveries were to take place inside their garage with a delivery guy standing by in case I noticed any issues.

Interior
The seats are way more comfortable than my 21 Model Y seats and the ventilated seats really add to the experience. My wife usually hates ventilated seats but surprisingly she loves these ones.

As you're all aware, the tablet is WAY better than the old gen - I didn't realize how much faster it'd be. I can open YouTube or Netflix and have it ready to search within 3 seconds. The old gen took 20-30 seconds for any of these apps to load up. This alone makes a huge difference to my daily experience.

I wasn't sure about the yoke prior to delivery, but now that I've used it I absolutely love it and couldn't go back to a regular steering wheel. I got used to it within a couple hours and no longer have to look at the turn signal buttons - everything feels so natural. Even tight turns are a breeze once you get used to it. Note: I used to play video games a lot so learning new controls is very natural to me. The only thing I dislike about the yoke is the horn and wish it was just a regular horn.

Driving
Alright so this is kind of embarrassing, but I can't slam on the accelerator in Plaid mode. I didn't realize how intense the g-force was going to feel and start blacking out after I hit 45mph LOL. I don't know what to do about this. I tried tensing all my abs and legs like fighter pilots do prior to accelerating but it doesn't help. AHHHH!! Any tips would be appreciated lol.

Coming from a Y, the handling and suspension are incredible. I feel really connected to the road and it's way more stable than my Y.

Overall
The car is incredible. I'm absolutely blown away at this marvel of engineering. It's better than anything I could've imagined and I've read/watched most reviews out there.

Hang in there friends - this will be 100% worth the wait.
Awesome, Enjoy the great ride. Glad that the fit and finish is very good and only minor issues.