Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone whose done some highway driving know if Painters Tape helps at all for a 300 mile road trip from a delivery center to home
I know it won't really protect against major rock chips but if it helps some pitting then im all for it
Painters tape helps but track wrap is much better. I used in on my car and it arrived with no damage.

Last edited:
As a stockholder I admire their cash management skills encouraging bank transfers 2 weeks before delivery, but as a customer I’ll pay with a check on the day of delivery after inspection.
As a stockholder I admire when it does this :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-105814_thinkorswim~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-105814_thinkorswim~2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 90
Just cancel online. You might have someone reach out to ‘save’ the order. But if you tell them you are waiting for the other order it should be a quick conversation. And then your current order with a VIN goes into inventory or allocated to the next in line with the same config. Or is just offered to someone. Tesla lottery.
Alright, I just don’t wanna get burned on my other order with no vin yet. Just sold my model 3 P so I’m carless atm. Tesla game is rough, Lol. I’m trying to play both sides here.

Alright, I just don’t wanna get burned on my other order with no vin yet. Just sold my model 3 P so I’m carless atm. Tesla game is rough, Lol. I’m trying to play both sides here.
There has been plenty of people with multiple orders. @MarcG for example had five? Six? And he got a car, without anyone spitting in it. Maybe.

In all seriousness, you should be good.

So I promised a more in-depth writeup, and now that the holiday weekend is over and I've had a few days and a few hundred miles with my car, here it is...

Delivery: My car was scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, but Wednesday night the SC was destroyed by Hurricane Ida, so it got pushed out two days (thankfully no one was hurt and only a 3 and a Y in the showroom were damaged, the other cars were kept in a safe lot a couple miles away). A guy drove it the 30mins from the temporary lot to my house, and drove my trade-in away. Personally, I would've preferred to pick it up myself but it was either that or nothing, and as you could imagine I was anxious to take delivery, so an extra 30 miles on the car isn't that big of a deal.

Fit/Finish: Went through @MarcG 's list and there was nothing awry, except for missing floor mats and trunk covers that they said I'll get after they receive them. It looks like the part shortage is affecting them, but I have no problem waiting for them - at least it's not something that's a showstopper there. Otherwise the car is perfect - beautiful inside and and out... the doors close with a more satisfying *thud* than my outgoing 2018 S, the windows raise and lower more silently, the trunk opens and closes more quieter too. The interior trim is nicer, and the CF looks 'real' (as opposed to covered with a ton of lacquer). There was a paper in the car that said "FC KICKBACK - NO QC INSPECTION NEEDED". I have no idea what an FC Kickback is, but my best guess is they select random samples off the line to do a factory QC inspection periodically to attempt to improve output? Lord knows they need it, haha. That said, the passenger seat had a part sticker on it that said "SEAT, FULL, MSX", so it looks like it had been replaced prior to delivery. The driver's seat piping has zero bunching up and the passenger side had very little. The "worm" (half-circle airbag seam) is only visible if you stare at it in direct sunlight (I've had BMWs that were worse), but if you point a camera at it, you can see it a bit better. I don't really care lol.

Driving: What can I say here? It's absurd fast. Just punching it from a stop is... well I can't say it's insane, or that it's ludicrous, because it's plaid lol. Letting the battery warm up 2-3mins by turning on Drag Strip mode makes it noticeably even more powerful, to the point where the tires struggle for grip on dry pavement. Haven't tried a full-on cheetah stance mode launch, but I haven't found a road flat enough for it (otherwise you end up with the 'cheetah scratches' I've seen pics of in this thread recently lol). I started recording peoples' reactions to launches in my car and I'm going to compile them into a video that I may share or may just keep for the lulz. As for the yoke and capacitive buttons, it doesn't need to be repeated that you get used to it... but you do. It's comfortable and even hand-over-hand turns become second nature. The turn signals take a bit more time, but that becomes second nature after 100 miles of driving as well.

Overall: This is the first car I've *loved* in a long time. I've had a lot of cars I've enjoyed, but this car is just all and everything I could want, and will be excited to drive it every time I do for the next 3-5 years (until something even more amazing comes along, lol). Here's the pic I took right after delivery again if anyone had missed it when I posted it Saturday. Thanks for the support all... but you know I can't leave this thread after spending most of a year on it just because I finally took delivery, haha.
View attachment 706215
It's a beauty! Where did you get the black T caps for the uncovered Tempest wheels? They look great!

I take a few day off, and now I need a few hours have to read through everything. 🤣

I have my first funny Sentry event to talk about, opinions of my first Tesla service appointment, and a few software limitations I have noticed after my first week of driving. But first, I need to catch up to page 3334 from 3309. 😎

Nobody seems to be complaining about the yoke anymore? Much ado about nothing?
wasnt so much the yoke itself (although I still wonder why Randy Probst felt the need to remove the Yoke and replace with a round wheel for Pikes peak) but the combination of yoke/no stalks/horrid turn signal buttons/removal of ability to honk horn via airbag) that raised the most noise.

I have yet to see ONE review that states that the combination of all of the above are BETTER than round wheel/stalks/horn via airbag. Not one.

Last edited:
Unlikely. The Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle has been around since 1999, also does a 9 second quarter mile, top speed over 180MPH, and anyone can buy it. And it’s a lot more affordable (and therefore more easily attainable) at $18K than the Plaid. Also I would argue it’s a lot harder ride a powerful motorcycle than to drive the Plaid, so if any vehicle should be limited, it should be bikes like that.

Of course, the Plaid is still quicker.

The bold part actually hurts your argument. People who have money and no background with performance vehicles can get a Plaid. The sport bike has additional barriers to purchase outside of price.

I also agree with you that the Plaid will not get restricted/banned, but it will get an excessive amount of coverage in the media, which may lead Tesla to do "something" as a gesture of acknowledging/addressing the dangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
@doubleshot - Seems to be a recurring theme with you (downvoting people, and getting feedback and/or you having to explain yourself). Maybe change your approach to other forum members? When you disagree, just post a reply stating what your view is? Just sayin'
I noticed this a long time ago. I always upvote anything he downvotes. There must be balance with the force at all times.