Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 9D92C122-252E-474F-8094-53877684E595.jpeg
    9D92C122-252E-474F-8094-53877684E595.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 54
A neighbor of ours, a couple in their 50's, bought a Plaid today. White on white with CF interior. Normally, I am not very chatty with them but I went up to their driveway to inquire. I said Congrats, you have the fastest production car in the world. To which, the lady (shocked) replied "really??? i had no idea about that. Sure, it feels fast and had no clue in the damn world its the fastest". Then she turned to her husband and said "did you hear what he just said?". The husband was equally shocked. Both of them had no clue. Apparently, they wanted a Tesla for the "dog mode" and really like how the Model S looks from outside.
I thought about asking them "how about we trade since you don't care about the performance" but then I quickly realized that that was futile since I had just revealed what their vehicle was capable of. In my mind, I did a massive double facepalm and left the scene. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️😂
idk if I believe this story. white on white for dog mode? nobody would get white interior and have a dog. fake. plus nobody has white interiors.

and if this is true. can you ask when they originally ordered it? need the data haha

Posing a question that might have already been asked but, if I were to change my configuration to a black interior from a cream interior, could that have a positive effect on my delivery timeline?

So many black interior Model S long ranges have been delivered but I'm yet to see a cream anywhere. Ordered in December, white/cream/FSD/19s. I'm obviously asking you all because of trust issues with my SA
The honest answer is - no one knows for sure. It likely will not bump you significantly one way or another (in my opinion) since neither interior seems supply constrained.

Posing a question that might have already been asked but, if I were to change my configuration to a black interior from a cream interior, could that have a positive effect on my delivery timeline?

So many black interior Model S long ranges have been delivered but I'm yet to see a cream anywhere. Ordered in December, white/cream/FSD/19s. I'm obviously asking you all because of trust issues with my SA
cream is quite common. you're only in trouble if you have white.

A neighbor of ours, a couple in their 50's, bought a Plaid today. White on white with CF interior. Normally, I am not very chatty with them but I went up to their driveway to inquire. I said Congrats, you have the fastest production car in the world. To which, the lady (shocked) replied "really??? i had no idea about that. Sure, it feels fast and had no clue in the damn world its the fastest". Then she turned to her husband and said "did you hear what he just said?". The husband was equally shocked. Both of them had no clue. Apparently, they wanted a Tesla for the "dog mode" and really like how the Model S looks from outside.
I thought about asking them "how about we trade since you don't care about the performance" but then I quickly realized that that was futile since I had just revealed what their vehicle was capable of. In my mind, I did a massive double facepalm and left the scene. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️😂
That is the best story I have read in a while--plus you gotta love the Tesla SA that steered them into the Plaid. 🤣

The price for SiriusXM is negotiable. Lots of sites out there discussing the techniques. I used to pay full price til I ran across one of the sites describing how to get the discounts. Basically you call to cancel and they will offer something less then you tell them what you are willing to pay. I ended up paying around $70 per year for many years. You just have to remember to call them and do it again before it renews at full price.
I did that for years for two vehicles just for Howard and then + Beatles. Got me through tens of 2 hour drives out of state. After about year 3 of maybe 12, I’d just get on and immediately ask for the manager. No cancel threats. Just let them know I knew the process and to get me on with the boss of bosses. The drill was old from the exorbitant “renewal” price to getting same price renewed every year. I finally just canceled both. I don’t miss it the radio or the annual renewal dance.

I'm going to preface this next comment acknowledging that the Plaid is amazing, and the LR is not close to its performance. Hopefully that will shut up the Plaid defenders, because this is aimed at Tesla's marketing department, and what I suspect is deceptive manipulation of true physical limitations between the two.

That being said, here are my thoughts:

I think the LR is capable of a 2.4 0-60, but it is reduced to make the Plaid look that much better. Real enthusiasts know that what happens after 60 is the real test of performance, but marketing knows that 0-60 times is what sells to the average buyer that wants a fast car. I believe they know $40k for 0.4 seconds is a hard sell, and reminding buyers that the Plaid pulls just as hard at 100 wouldn't have as much traction upselling to the Plaid.

I'd also like to know the real value of the carbon sleeves. I'm not saying it is not an amazing innovation, I'm just curious why they would avoid providing the power curve of the LR. How much of this generation of batteries and motors provides the LR power compared to the difference with the tri motor carbon sleeved Plaid.

I always get my Spidey senses up when marketing decides to withhold information, or use differing metrics to compare similar products (rollout vs. non-rollout).
I will just drop this here and walk away. It would surprise exactly no one to eventually see a "speed boost" package to the tune of $2000 for Tesla to just rack up hundred of thousands of dollars from LR owners.
Told by family member at Tesla product planning that the LR model is currently being limited 0~65 by software for now and he believes a update/upgrade option will enable it to do better in the future. When asked if it is "able" to do 2.3sec. 0-60 like the prior Ludacris model (Raven) his response was, "it can do better".

This supports my theory that the two versions are really close. Plaid has the 3rd motor, but is comes with more weight, using the same power/battery. They both have the exact same braking systems. With rollout vs/ no rollout, and the assumption that the new updated LR is more advanced than Raven, you gotta believe Plaid vs. LR "capability" difference is less than 0.3 seconds.

It also would suggest that plaid really will become the plaid plus once they have the newer battery ready to properly power a 3rd motor. It almost doesnt make sense to power the 3 motor with the same as the dual... marketing!

I'm not sure, but I'll check with my IT director tomorrow. He has an iPhone (and a Tesla), but he's definitely my go to guy on this sort of stuff.
doesn't matter. it's part of the app. easy setup. just have to approve the notifications. it doesn't really care outlook google android iPhone. it's the tesla app that does the sync.

My delivery is next week. Is it crazy that I am contemplating canceling my order because the car doesn’t have front or rear cross traffic detection? This is an option on BMW’s, Lexus and Mercedes now. This is going to be my daily driver and the main reason I ordered the car is because of the safety.
I really don't have any idea what you're talking about. My X warns me when cross-traffic is coming as I'm backing out of the driveway.

• Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
In my opinion, yes. I think @Hayseed_MS mentioned backing into parking spots so you are always going forward, which is what I try to do 100% of the time. So the rear cross traffic is not a huge disappointment for me. Front cross traffic is also not an issue as I just inch out slowly until I can see. If my car inching out is not enough for someone to slow down to 1) stop or 2) swerve and miss, I have to wonder 1) how fast was the oncoming car going to not see it or 2) is that driver not paying attention.
FSD is never going to work well if it can't see cross-traffic ... so I have to believe that this functionality will be more fully addressed in future updates.

@AnselmDante did you ever find out why your home charger wouldn’t pop the port? I’m reading it’s a known issue and a temporary solution is they add a Bluetooth antenna. I also thought I read if you point it at the back brake light instead, it’ll open.
Its Supposed to work at super charger because of stronger Bluetooth signal. But home chargers they know it’s an issue.
I just press the button on the charg port to open it. I’m having a similar problem with my Gen 3 cable.

@AnselmDante did you ever find out why your home charger wouldn’t pop the port? I’m reading it’s a known issue and a temporary solution is they add a Bluetooth antenna. I also thought I read if you point it at the back brake light instead, it’ll open.
Its Supposed to work at super charger because of stronger Bluetooth signal. But home chargers they know it’s an issue.
I just press the button to open it. I’m having a similar problem with my Gen 3 cable.
It pops if I almost touch the car right below the port edge. The 2017 P100D loaner I had for a few days popped a half a foot away from the car, which is what made me wonder if mine is not working correctly.

doesn't matter. it's part of the app. easy setup. just have to approve the notifications. it doesn't really care outlook google android iPhone. it's the tesla app that does the sync.
If the phone has a mobile device management profile installed, things like calendar syncing can be blocked by IT--most big companies consider calendar info proprietary.

Update
So Tesla refunded $100 a month after my Plaid+ order was canceled by the Tesla rep. I got a hold of my local service center to inquire about the remaining $900 and was told my deposit was $100 not $1,000. Basically, I was wrong. My peeps here on the forums were kind enough to verify that I was not crazy and that the deposit was indeed $1000.

I went back and found all my Amex statements and there was the September 2020 $1,000 deposit for the Plaid => Plaid+.

My question is when does a string of not so nice activity on the part of a company move from the neglect column to the intentional column?

I can’t believe it to be intentional. Just terrible process or horrible internal communications and inconsistent tracking. I got my 1k back quite promptly. I’m still pissed there is no +, but hey, that’s another tale entirely.

Last edited:
Do a search for "buck convertor." Should give you what you're looking for.

They do make them in 12v "cigarette lighter" form, if that helps.
I tried, but no cigar. I'm not sure there's ever been a demand for a cable that plugs in to a 12V socket and regulates an attached female socket to 12V. Seems silly, doesn't it, LOL?

Yes - I have my outlook (work) and google calendar (personal) synced. One caveat is that I sync the work and personal calendars together, so I dunno if it's only reading one of them.

On the app, go to your profile and turn on calendar sync in settings. Make sure the Tesla app has calendar permissions under the main Android settings, too.

Did you ever get those caps and lug covers to see if you wanted to go that route on the arachnids?

Recd the caps. Color match perfect. Bore fits well. The issue is that they put a counterbore step and it is bigger than the OD of the cap so it looks funny.

I did not fully insert it because I was not sure I could pull it back out.