Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic…So, prior to delivery, I was set on changing my wheels, either to powder coat OEM wheels (which someone likened to putting lipstick on a pig) or to some aftermarket option. Now that I have the car, I actually really like the aero covers with my blackout look. And I’m thinking it will take away from the blackout look if I have bright shiny rotors staring back at me. Lol. No one I’ve encountered (yet) has made fun of the aero caps. Any thoughts?
I believe there are two black color options, satin black and gloss black. Maybe the gloss black? I’m considering the gloss.

I find it hilarious that people are still dying on this LR vs Plaid hill. At the end of the day it’s jealousy over the fact that another person is able to indulge by paying $40k for an upgrade that the LR owner can’t justify (not all LR owners, just the ones hell bent on justifying their choice).

While we’re on the topic of value, we’ve all already jumped the shark on that. Any car over $40k is more or less a bad ‘value’. Just because you choose to draw the line at $100k while others draw that line much higher doesn’t make you a smarter customer.

I think the arguement goes both ways. Both camps are trying to iustify their purchase. Everyone just needs to be satisfied with the decisions they made. For some it may be a practicality reason and for some it may be a financial reason. I have a lot of friends that think Tesla owners are douchey. I can see why. People buy cars for their own reasons. Our Teslas aren’t better than theirs and theirs aren’t better than Teslas. A Plaid may be the fastest production car, but it won’t out brake and handle a base Taycan. A Taycan may not have panel gaps and terrible brakes, but it is slow and expensive. To each their own.

Anyone else have buyers remorse after their purchase? I’ve never purchased something so expensive(besides a house) or a new car before. Like I’ve been wanting a Tesla for like 6 years and should be arriving this coming Saturday but I can’t help but feel so guilty that my anxiety has been a problem.
Maybe I’m just overthinking lol

Anyone else have buyers remorse after their purchase? I’ve never purchased something so expensive(besides a house) or a new car before. Like I’ve been wanting a Tesla for like 6 years and should be arriving this coming Saturday but I can’t help but feel so guilty that my anxiety has been a problem.
The only thing I’ve ever had buyers remorse over was my first wife.

Nope. Worth every penny. Congrats on your first new car - good choice!

I went through these thoughts, but it was, Porsche Taycan Turbo, to plaid, so the 30K savings was there for me, granted the Porsche is better built, with much better service, but its not a super computer on wheels, and the Tesla is not a performance car like a Porsche, the Tesla is just much faster, and much more technology focused. LR, is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you bought like I did before the price hike.
Normally I'd be with you on the "not a performance car" part but I'm finding everything but brake feel and fade are exceeding Porsche performance (oh, and seat lateral support which literally does not exist with the Plaid).

Normally I'd be with you on the "not a performance car" part but I'm finding everything but brake feel and fade are exceeding Porsche performance (oh, and seat lateral support which literally does not exist with the Plaid).

Have you driven or rode in a Taycan on the track? The handling is much better than a Model S. The Model S wins in acceleration, tech and bang for your buck. The Taycan wins in build quality, braking and handling.

Have you driven or rode in a Taycan on the track? The handling is much better than a Model S. The Model S wins in acceleration, tech and bang for your buck. The Taycan wins in build quality, braking and handling.
Have you driven the new MS with the new suspension? Just asking this because @lolachampcar has, and most reviews regarding the handling say that it has a large amount of mechanical grip, and handles very well for a big sedan. They didn't say that about the old MS.🙂

Picked up my Red Plaid, Black interior, Carbon Fiber trim, 21" Arachnid wheels on Thursday 9/16 at the Rocklin, CA service center. It was originally supposed to be delivered on 9/20 and I called and checked to see if it could be picked up earlier since it was already there. They accommodated me well and it was much appreciated. As everyone else has said, once you get the car you kind of chuckle about the wait and it all washes over.

I originally ordered White interior and was done refreshing so I picked up an inventory car. I am so glad I did, I think the Black interior is the right choice with Red. I was always a little worried that the various colors would be too much visually: Red body, Black trim on the exterior, Carbon fiber trim interior, White seats, etc.

It's an absolutely phenomenal car. I've had no issue with the Yoke at all, after 20 minutes I was actually bummed it's not an option for some of our other vehicles. The speed is something you can't describe, that continuous pull after 60 MPH is like nothing else.

One thing that came to mind after the first day of driving is that the Long Range has to be the best value car on the market. No differentiation between Plaid and Long Range other than Carbon Fiber interior. It has more range, 0-60 MPH in 3 seconds, and considerably less expensive. Am I glad I got the Plaid? Yes. Would I have been just as happy with the Long Range? I am confident I would've been, and I likely will get the Long Range if I ever replace this.

As for a little more detail from the first 3 days of ownership. I know the difference between the Plaid and both of the pre-Raven Model S that I've owned is a very long list, but the two biggest improvements I've noticed immediately are:

Quiet cabin/ride quality
My biggest issue with both previous Model S is how noticeable the wind noise was. Additionally, inside the cabin there were little creaks and clicks while driving that made it near impossible to ignore. You'd feel little bumps in the road that you wouldn't otherwise.

In the new cabin it's so well engineered/manufactured that without any music on or AC running I couldn't even hear vehicles driving past me when sitting still at a light. I am thoroughly impressed as it was one of my biggest concerns. Now it drives better than some of the German counterparts we currently have in our garage.

Fit and finish
There are very few if any plastic pieces in the cabin. The capacitive touch buttons to open the door are a nice touch. No more shared parts in the door and driving stalks with Mercedes Benz. The 17" screen is as good as everyone else has already mentioned.

This refresh feels so intentional with every decision they made (except for rear lights). Kudos to the Tesla team.

It's not all good. There was a 2" scratch in the glass on the sunroof at delivery, the leather in the rear cupholders is ribboned, trunk footwell carpet is bunched up, a piece of the leather on the Yoke isn't tucked in (and likely can't be), minor scratch on center console carbon fiber. In all honestly, these are so minor in comparison to what some others have encountered so I am grateful for that.

View attachment 711181

View attachment 711183
View attachment 711184
View attachment 711185
Gorgeous! And an even tighter fit, apparently, in your garage than in mine.

It is an investment. Think of the net thousands of dollars you will save annually in gas and maintenance. The federal EV credit would have been nice, but remember to check with your state and electric provider to see what rebates/credits are available. Most importantly, ENJOY THE CAR! It doesn't make sense to have the woulda, shoulda conversation--it takes away from your enjoyment. 👍

Have you driven the new MS with the new suspension? Just asking this because @lolachampcar has, and most reviews regarding the handling say that it has a large amount of mechanical grip, and handles very well for a big sedan. They didn't say that about the old MS.🙂

I’ve driven the Taycan and Model 3 performance. People who have had the Model S refresh and Model 3 performance say the Model 3 performance handles better. The Taycan handles far better than a Model 3 performance. Porsche has been building race cars for years. A Tesla is not going to out handle and brake it. The ring laptime was because of straight-line acceleration, you can tell by watching the video. The Plaid has 40 percent more power than a Taycan Turbo and only beat it by a few seconds. The handling looks sloppy. I get my MS on Thursday. I’ll let you know for sure.

Nope. Worth every penny. Congrats on your first new car - good choice!
Thank you, trying to relax and calm down. Been doing a lot with work and personal life recently so this coming is stacking more on me lol
It is an investment. Think of the net thousands of dollars you will save annually in gas and maintenance. The federal EV credit would have been nice, but remember to check with your state and electric provider to see what rebates/credits are available. Most importantly, ENJOY THE CAR! It doesn't make sense to have the woulda, shoulda conversation--it takes away from your enjoyment. 👍
thank you!!

I have a RN1151 east coast delivery, spec is Model S LR Blue with white interior and 19inch. Ordered early july and had a EDD of Sep-Oct. That got pushed back to Feb 2022 and then back to December 2021.. About 2 weeks ago EDD went blank and just got updated to Feb 2022 last night... I've read that some people get vin numbers assigned when this EDD process happens. Do you think I am getting a vin soon?
I have literally the same exact spec as you on the east coast and ordered early April, my EDD changed to Nov 9-Nov 29 today, I wouldn't imagine you get yours before me but this is Tesla we're talking about..

😱 I GOT MY CAR!! What a long wait, and it was so worth it.
The car seemed perfect from delivery and not missing anything. My windshield was a bit dirty from the factory but it cleaned up real easily.

In order of what I noticed.
Design: I saw the rear of this car first and the pictures online really don't do it justice. It is aggressive and COOL. 10x more so than I dreamed. The diffuser actually reminds me a bit of the early Tesla roadsters. Black trim is beautiful. Arachnids look great compared to photos.

Speed: I need to do more testing tomorrow but I was actually a little shaky from adrenaline when I did a couple 20mph-50mph runs at 90% battery on my first mile. It is absolutely terrifying. The punch and power around here feels like one step beyond a P100D. Where the P100D and Plaid feel similar (IMO!) is from a standstill but Plaid punches a little harder and the P100D requires an hour of battery heating, fresh tires, and a perfect surface. Plaid is ready at ANY moment and gives an even bigger punch at higher speeds. It is scary.

Screens: I cannot get over how smooth the screens are compared to my 2018. The main screen is BEAUTIFUL. I'm glad it's not any bigger as buttons on the very right are almost out of reach. Thankfully it's very customizable!

Yoke/Interior: It was WEIRD the first 100 feet and then I found myself quickly getting used to it. It reminded me of picking up a PS5 controller for the first time. It's SO alien and daunting but after a few minutes of using it, you quickly become comfortable. Roundabouts and left turns are a non issue. Right turns or parking lots require a touch of muscle memory to one-hand the wheel and use your palm to control it. Overall, I love it. It opens up the interior.
The interior is beautiful by the way. The wood is darker than I thought, but rich and has a great feel.

Overall just BLOWN AWAY. I'm so glad I placed an order and I'm so glad I waited. The car is a monster.

Omar and others covered Q&A really well but if anybody here has questions just let me know! :)
I keep reading the comparisons to previous performance MS and keep scratching my head when I drive my car. When I stoped thinking about the car and just let everything go back brain it occurred to me that they are really not the same car.
Where you sit is different. I sat in the previous car and sit "on top" of the Plaid.
Grip and road feel are different. Mechanical grip is way up while road feel is way down.
Environment is different. The interiors share the same spartan design approach but are otherwise completely different. As others have pointed out, wind noise is way down yet tire noise is up. It may be that the reduction in wind noise makes the road noise more noticeable.

Tesla created a whole new car and made it look like their first generation car. They managed to push more rubber under the car and pull the fenders down and out to nicely cover the tires all without making the car look strikingly different.

The engineers just went about making so much stuff better all the time keeping it looking kinda the same. Nicely done.

It also helps me better understand the steering yoke. They just had to do something that would allow people to immediately identify the second generation MS and the yoke does just that.

As for all the talk about Plaid versus LR, people are different and want different things. It is as simple as that. One person's perception of value is not the same as another's. I'm very glad Tesla produced both and we can all have fun.

Last edited:
I’ve driven the Taycan and Model 3 performance. People who have had the Model S refresh and Model 3 performance say the Model 3 performance handles better. The Taycan handles far better than a Model 3 performance. Porsche has been building race cars for years. A Tesla is not going to out handle and brake it. The ring laptime was because of straight-line acceleration, you can tell by watching the video. The handling looks sloppy.
Still, maybe there are good and bad points to each. It's not like the Tesla is instantly bad at handling because the other car is a Porsche and this is a Tesla. The Taycan weighs 5,150 pounds, and can't torque vector like the Plaid will when that track SW update comes. The Porsche may handle better, but that doesn't mean that the Model S can't be awesome too.

Last edited:
Saw an update on my EDD similar to others on this thread today. Ordered a MSM LR 19 with RN1149 in late May. My EDD was tracking to 12/6-12/26 up to yesterday for the past month. Today it changed to 9/21-9/30. Feels like the TSLA quarter end scramble to get as many sales in as possible. Fingers crossed quality doesn’t suffer and sounds like luck of the draw so far. No assigned vin yet and will keep everyone posted.
Date changed again this morning :( Now 11/28-12/18. The wait continues....