Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
1. My neighbor recently ordered an MSM Plaid. And got a friggin VIN and delivery date for November 6 - 12 - I think he only ordered a week ago, I don't have clear dates, but damn!
2. I never got a solid answer or thought to this, so help please. I want a 2022 all things being equal, I'm presently slated for 12/3-12/31. If I had to wait a month, maybe okay, but if I had to wait 4 months, well, not that exciting.
I've seen the white interior really getting pushed back. Even new Plaid orders - you can get them in December, or April for the white interior, and I think it's even worse with the LR.
Therefore, I think the shortages are going to get worse, etc. and my idea of "skip this VIN, get the next" may be a really bad move. I would like my perceived increase in value on a resale of a 2022 versus a 2021, but not sure how big a deal that will be. Alternatively, if I lease, it will be irrelevant.
I also think the chip shortages, supply issues, etc. will be long gone in 3 years (I hope) and with 4680 cells, etc. the 2021 or even 2022 LR may not be as desirable as it is today.
I do have the car locked in at the $15k lower price so I could almost take it and flip it, but I want this thing for 3 years. and not a second out of warranty, so at most 4 years unless i buy extended.
So bottom line questions, please:
1) does it pay to buy versus lease - i like leasing, but don't trust when my next Tesla would be available in 3 years - would the EDD be accurate or not?
2) does the 2022 versus 2021 make a BIG difference on a resale 3 or 4 years from now
3) if i skip my December targeted delivery might I be looking at a month, or many months?
thanks for any thoughts!!!!

1. No idea, I've questioned that myself. You are gambling about the resale value of the car. If it is still worth a lot in 3 years, then buying is better. If the value plummets, then leasing is better. You can also deduct the business use of your car somewhat more easily, if you lease. But, that requires owning your own business that requires use of your car.
2. I may have made the same mistake again. I got my Model 3 in dec of 2018. My plaid is set to be delivered next month. I think my 2018 is worth just a little bit less than 2019s. But, delaying delivery until January probably won't help. You'll probably still get a '21.
3. Don't know for regular model S. Plaid deliveries are likely to always be fast, maybe 1-2 months. I ordered in Sept.

About 80% done with the new Racedeck (Costco rebranded MotoFloor on sale) floor for the garage. Installed insulating, waterproof, sound deadening underlayment first. Will do a detailed installation and review in a separate thread tomorrow. Until then….

View attachment 724896View attachment 724897View attachment 724898View attachment 724899View attachment 724900

Well, here are the finished, but untidied up, shots. Lot's of fir needles this time of year. :( Now on Sale at Costco for $99/box (48 sq ft). Mine took 15 boxes, plus edge kits.

RD1.jpg

RD3.jpg
RD2.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone that ordered FSD with their car, does it show up on the Monroney sticker? I'm concerned that if they don't include it on the sticker, there's no requirement for them to maintain the FSD on the car when you sell it.

On my Raven Model X, the FSD and price is on the Monroney sticker. Should be the same now….

Well, here are the finished, but untidied up, shots. Lot's of fir needles this time of year. :( Now on Sale at Costco for $99/box (48 sq ft). Mine took 15 boxes, plus edge kits.

View attachment 726444

View attachment 726447View attachment 726449
Your floor looks nice. I’m glad your garage isn’t spotless. The Meyer 🍋 lemon tree is a classy touch.

I picked up a cashiers check for my MF430 “bastard” car. If I buy it, you had better apologize to her. I’ll name her Mae. 😁