Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
isn't is crazy how much time we spend here, without having tried or tried much the cars we're waiting for? it's like a big surprise gift when it arrives (if you count refreshing the app 20 times a day for months, etc. a surprise.)

It would be nice if they used some of the bastard lot cars as test drive vehicles. Don't think they need one at every location but Tesla can't spare ~25 - 50 Model S so that there is at least one available to test drive in each state or maybe a couple in California and none in North Dakota?

We are sort of going off hopes and dreams right now lol.

Taking delivery this morning and have a question for those of you who have done the touchless thing - I've seen a few videos of this and it appears that you can't get in the car without hitting the "accept delivery" button in the Tesla app (which lets you pair phone with the car), is this true? If so, how do you check over the interior for major flaws that might be worth rejecting the car for? I assume when you hit that button, there's no going back. No?

Also, curious if the process is the same for home delivery. At first I wasn't worried about this, figuring if they show up in the car, surely it'll be unlocked and I can comb over it to my hearts content without hitting that button, but I'm not certain. Could be that he shows up, gets out of the car and locks the doors so it's the same process? Dunno.

Aside: my youngest son (8) is a huge Tesla fan, and he was more excited this morning than he was on Christmas. Woke me up at 0630 to remind me to wear my Cybertruck shirt so we would match. It's a t-shirt too...not ideal with the brisk 16 deg weather we have right now!!
Ask the receptionist or any SA to unlock it. They can do it from their desktop computer.

Taking delivery this morning and have a question for those of you who have done the touchless thing - I've seen a few videos of this and it appears that you can't get in the car without hitting the "accept delivery" button in the Tesla app (which lets you pair phone with the car), is this true? If so, how do you check over the interior for major flaws that might be worth rejecting the car for? I assume when you hit that button, there's no going back. No?

Also, curious if the process is the same for home delivery. At first I wasn't worried about this, figuring if they show up in the car, surely it'll be unlocked and I can comb over it to my hearts content without hitting that button, but I'm not certain. Could be that he shows up, gets out of the car and locks the doors so it's the same process? Dunno.

Aside: my youngest son (8) is a huge Tesla fan, and he was more excited this morning than he was on Christmas. Woke me up at 0630 to remind me to wear my Cybertruck shirt so we would match. It's a t-shirt too...not ideal with the brisk 16 deg weather we have right now!!
I can't speak to the home delivery piece but for both of my pickups (at SC), I had them open the car to let me look before hitting accept. The delivery team was pretty nice about this and didn't push me to accept beforehand. They DID push me to hit accept roughly 15 mins later (as they had to get to another delivery appt) but by then I was ready to go from the interior standpoint.

Good luck at pickup!

isn't is crazy how much time we spend here, without having tried or tried much the cars we're waiting for? it's like a big surprise gift when it arrives (if you count refreshing the app 20 times a day for months, etc. a surprise.)
It's a little surprising to me that someone who previously owned a Model 3 Performance would be so utterly surprised and blown away by big screens, fast OS, and sensation of acceleration. Sure, all those things are a step above with the Plaid, but not in a shocking, new world kind of way...

I love the Plaid but I'm poor and I know I'll never drive it the way I did today every day so it wouldn't be worth the money. Or - maybe I would drive it like that every day and be in jail within hours. I wouldn't do well in jail.
That is exactly how I feel, and after driving my LR for almost a month I don't feel that I would even want the speed of plaid if I'm being honest. The speed of the LR is enough to already get me into trouble, I can't even imagine what the plaid would feel like. I am really happy I just stuck with the LR.

It's a little surprising to me that someone who previously owned a Model 3 Performance would be so utterly surprised and blown away by big screens, fast OS, and sensation of acceleration. Sure, all those things are a step above with the Plaid, but not in a shocking, new world kind of way...
I can testify that a test drive will seal the deal. In 2014 I went to look at Teslas (only model S at the time). Did a 10 minute test drive and ordered the car on the spot. It's just amazing. Completely different than any other car.
Unfortunately, Tesla has too much demand now to even offer test drives.

I can testify that a test drive will seal the deal. In 2014 I went to look at Teslas (only model S at the time). Did a 10 minute test drive and ordered the car on the spot. It's just amazing. Completely different than any other car.
Unfortunately, Tesla has too much demand now to even offer test drives.
Yup. I had the same experience in 2018 with the Model 3. I test drove a dual motor and ordered one. Then the Performance arrived and I test drove that. Changed my order on the spot to the Performance. 3 great years. I had no qualms about ordering the Plaid without a test drive and love the warp speed power and amenities inside. I cringe at the never ending list of gripes that are put forward here as reasons not to buy the car... ridiculous.

On the light issue in the console. I believe 50% have this issue. We are working it in another discussion. What caught my eye was you mention your neighbor had to have the console replaced to fix it. Feels extreme and I was hoping for a simpler fix. I am actually going in for second service to address this and a couple other items.
I can confirm the “go to” fix for the light issue in the lower console is to replace the entire console. As simple a issue as it seems, it is not assessable nor configurable at this juncture. Hope they can simplify this through a hardware change on future builds or just better QC the vehicle. I tell you, its the small things that would only takes seconds to check or do right that drive me crazy.

Woohoo, my Plaid EDD has just been narrowed down to a 2-week window from Feb 9 to Feb 23, so hopefully that means a VIN will be coming soon. Hopefully it's not an Elon "two weeks" situation. ;) Fingers crossed that it's late enough to get the new headlights and early enough to get ahead of the impending $14K luxury tax in Canada.
you ordered before me but your EDD is after mine, not that i am expecting mine in the next few days, I guess different combos get different dates.

Yup. I had the same experience in 2018 with the Model 3. I test drove a dual motor and ordered one. Then the Performance arrived and I test drove that. Changed my order on the spot to the Performance. 3 great years. I had no qualms about ordering the Plaid without a test drive and love the warp speed power and amenities inside. I cringe at the never ending list of gripes that are put forward here as reasons not to buy the car... ridiculous.

Except, of course, the yoke is a valid reason for not ordering, correct?? /s

Public service announcement.
Whatever you do, don’t buy FSD with your Plaid! That fvcking score has totally wrecked my driving experience.

Plaid!? What plaid! I drive around in chill mode hoping to get selected! I would really like to drive it like I stole it, but… 😞

Those fvcking sadistic sons of britches at Tesla deserve to get some bad STD for this!
After having to audition in my M3, the acceleration isn't a factor outside of how aggressively you're braking, and turning. My advice is keep it in autopilot for as much time as possible as you won't be dinged in AP. My plan is to opt in and do about a 100 mile trip on highway and drop off at PPF shop to let it sit for the week required for timeline and get in that way. If I focus on highway only it's a breeze to get the 100. Also if you opt out and re-opt into the beta it resets your score. I had a 93 for a while so opt-ed out and back in and got in with the first wave of 99s.

Unlike your SA (or you), the OP was in a much better position to actually see the road.
Whoosh on the SA joke.

Regarding the decline, considering most of the video has their speed being maintained and the acceleration bar being little to no gray, there is an assumption it was a decline. Plus look at the rest of the video where the distant road is at a lower level than the vehicle position. But score for him on the internet points.

Whoosh on the SA joke.

Regarding the decline, considering most of the video has their speed being maintained and the acceleration bar being little to no gray, there is an assumption it was a decline. Plus look at the rest of the video where the distant road is at a lower level than the vehicle position. But score for him on the internet points.
It definitely doesn't seem unreasonable or unrealistic that the X is as fast as the video demonstrates. I mean the X is probably somewhere between 300-500 pounds heavier than the S, depending on how each are optioned, so I fully expect it to be wicked fast.

I would really like to see an S vs X Plaid video.