Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit that at this point I'm beginning to get a bit annoyed. One car, completed after mine, was delivered yesterday. This person lives about 15 miles from me. My car has been sitting in Birmingham for at least a week and a half. Friday will make it two weeks, and one week off the rail car. It seems it's just sitting in a lot there.

Not only did mine complete after yours, but I think my actual order was placed after yours as well. I think this means mine got on a truck to hit end Q1. Had I ordered when you did, mine would be at the rail yard too. Tesla assumed the train shipment would not be delayed... I'm still betting yours will be in the next 7 days. The stock market rules Tesla right now, and if yours is off the train, they know exactly how long it will take you to get it before months end. That's why some of those Florida ones are the way.

I am told my car should arrive at the WPB SC tomorrow, Wednesday so they are receiving some merchandise tomorrow. Go camp out and look for deep blue S as well as yours. But still no firm delivery appointment at this point...

Mine was arriving by rail yesterday supposedly. That means it took it approximately 12 days by train from cali. Hopefully it made it on your truck by some sort of luck. They tentatively scheduled me for 3/28 delivery DB SC.

Mine started production 3/14 and has been there ever since. I think they are prioritizing long distance orders to meet Q4. I'm in Utah and hopefully I will get it by next week but man some cars are out of production in less than a week. I'm going on 10 days now in production which seems on the high side of things from looking at the spreadsheet.

Ok here we go! Delivery tomorrow! Did not think it was going to happen, but the looooooong 55 day-wait comes to an end!

S70 - Deep Blue - Pano - Standard 19" - Nextgen Tan - Obeche Gloss - AP - Premium Int - UHFS - Air Suspension

Ordered: 1-23
Confirmed: 1-30
VIN: 2-1
Production: 2-26
End Prod.: 3-3
(Car then started a sight seeing trip of the US and spent a lot of time in the Alabama Rail Yards apparently. While there, met a lot of other S's who all became best friends....who knew?)
Delivery 3-24

Yes!

Reactions: Silverpnt01
Those of you that have taken delivery already, when the car arrived at your service center, did MyTesla change from "Your Tesla has been built and is in transit from the factory" to something else? I'm days away and my DS is slow to respond to emails.

Yes, it changed. I don't remember the phrasing, but something along the lines of "it has arrived and the team is busy getting it ready for you".

My 90D arrived in Alabama at the rail yard on Sunday, and I will pickup the car this Saturday in Raleigh, NC. My car finished production on March 5th.
May I ask how you know when the car arrived in Birmingham? Did your DS tell you?

My car arrived in Birmingham on 11 March. Per my DS, it was "born" March 2 (that when it was activated). Since March 11, it has been sitting in Birmingham waiting on transhipping to Decatur, which is all of about 160 miles from Birmingham. I'm really getting perturbed that cars built and shipped (even by the same rails mine shipped on) after mine are being delivered, and I'm left waiting with no idea at this point when mine will show up.

Considering the waits people have with repair parts and the delivery snafus, it seems apparent that, while Tesla may build a fine automobile, their logistics department leaves a lot to be desired in terms of performance.

May I ask how you know when the car arrived in Birmingham? Did your DS tell you?

My car arrived in Birmingham on 11 March. Per my DS, it was "born" March 2 (that when it was activated). Since March 11, it has been sitting in Birmingham waiting on transhipping to Decatur, which is all of about 160 miles from Birmingham. I'm really getting perturbed that cars built and shipped (even by the same rails mine shipped on) after mine are being delivered, and I'm left waiting with no idea at this point when mine will show up.

Considering the waits people have with repair parts and the delivery snafus, it seems apparent that, while Tesla may build a fine automobile, their logistics department leaves a lot to be desired in terms of performance.

I think that's mostly location dependent. There are just some places that are harder to get to. Maybe they should offer a FedEx option for an additional cost. Flatbed from the factory to your door.

Personally, I thought their logistics in CA was outstanding.

Brunton, I think you need to start calling Fremont and create some noise! Or ask for a different DS. There is a toll-free number on the Tesla website. I am sure that this would trigger a call from Fremont to your SC to find out why you are not getting updates, or your car for that matter. My DS said he was able to "influence" the schedule somewaht... whatever that meant. But the DS not knowing is inexcusable.

I think that's mostly location dependent. There are just some places that are harder to get to. Maybe they should offer a FedEx option for an additional cost. Flatbed from the factory to your door.

Personally, I thought their logistics in CA was outstanding.

From these boards we have learned that most (all?) of the cars to the entire SouthEast go to Birmingham, AL. That is from VA to FL and points west and in between. That is a lot of cars and millions of dollars of capital that are tied up there for prolonged periods of time and that suggests significant logistical problems.