Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the change in open communication difference between a few years ago and now is that now they are a publicly traded company and have to be more careful what they communicate?

That was my first thought, too, when reading DrC's post. They cannot communicate with customers under NDA and must assume that all emails go to public. There is a looong list of people waiting with delight on any statements from Tesla that could indicate a production delay. The mere rumor would make the stock go down.

Yes, my paperwork always said September but was told that was just a"cover our butt" estimate and that I would most likely take deliveryin August.

Tesla gave you the September date and some individual verbally suggested August. How should Tesla corporate know that? I don't see how they've failed in their communications (yet). With everything we've heard (first SSL deliveries this week and latest configuration reports) it seems fair to say that September is still on the cards for mine and your cars. Surely, your ire should be directed at the too-optimistic employee who got you excited by suggesting that they were under promising on delivery dates.

Perhaps the change in open communication difference between a few years ago and now is that now they are a publicly traded company and have to be more careful what they communicate?

I really don't think Tesla is the kind of company worried about the short term stock fluctuations such that it would materially impact their customer communications. That would really be the tail wagging the dog. To DrC's point, it doesn't do Tesla any good to make short term investors happy at the expense of customer relations (if that were their choice). My sense is that they still hope to hit the MVPA dates and so have nothing to tell customers, hence the radio silence.

@Nigel, I would agree that September for DrC would be appropriate given that's what his MVPA says, and it would consistent with the slow rollout that we now know is occurring. but if he got an email saying possibly mid-November, that's a bit concerning and the first we've heard such a late date for an SSL.

I really don't think Tesla is the kind of company worried about the short term stock fluctuations such that it would materially impact their customer communications. That would really be the tail wagging the dog. To DrC's point, it doesn't do Tesla any good to make short term investors happy at the expense of customer relations (if that were their choice). My sense is that they still hope to hit the MVPA dates and so have nothing to tell customers, hence the radio silence.

@Nigel, I would agree that September for DrC would be appropriate given that's what his MVPA says, and it would consistent with the slow rollout that we now know is occurring. but if he got an email saying possibly mid-November, that's a bit concerning and the first we've heard such a late date for an SSL.

Arnold - actually, they are acutely aware of the stock price and short selling arguments - I know from some previous interaction with one of the finance people. Public companies are also required to disclose "material" events, so my guess is that the delays to-date have not materially altered the totals by year-end, but clearly they have slowed early deliveries and intend to ramp up much faster than planned in Sep/Oct/Nov. What bugs me (and it's not just a tesla thing but when anyone treats customers similarly), is that Tesla seems to constantly flirt with the risk of annoying their Sig evangelists - I can't tell you how many people I have excitedly talked to about the Model S and electric vehicles. Human nature is human nature - we all want to know that love is reciprocated. And when I hear nothing after a couple of months of signing an agreement -when you expect to be contacted thirty days before delivery - and now that means mid-Sept at earliest (I'm regular Sig 92 - so to meet September at all, you would expect contact within two weeks), it just takes air out of the balloon....

Yes, I'm awaiting contact as well being regular Sig. #121. Can't wait to have someone post a date for the first regular Sig. delivery. I'm still holding on to my dream that it will be delivered in late September.

Charged_Up and ibcs. I appear to be in between the 2 of you with regular Sig 105. My paperwork which is dated 5/17/12 states "Vehicle to Be delivered On or About: August 2012. Does that jive with both of your original paperwork. Hearing SSL numbers with September delivery dates on their paperwork means mine was badly misquoted on my paperwork, but I was wondering if others received the same written information.

Charged_Up, you and I are on the same page. I hope I'll feel differently after I get my car, but the last month or two have soured me on the whole Tesla experience in a way that hasnt't happened since I put my deposit down 3.5 years ago. The last possible rationale for the Sig premium was early delivery. I was originally P96, and it seems like the difference will be no more than a few weeks, maximum, between my Signature car and what would have been my regular slot, which would have given me more color choices and cost a lot less. With that, I expected (and still hope) for better communication from Tesla. I'm over 200 cars behind you, so if you aren't expecting the car by the end of September, I'm definitely looking at mid-October at the earliest.

I work in a big company, and know how easy it is to fall into the trap of not communicating anything, especially potentially bad news, for whatever reason (stock price, negative press etc). I was hoping that Tesla would not fall into this trap, but it looks like they have. I truly believe that George B wants to communicate openly and honestly with us, but they seem to be in this relentlessly positive communication spin mode. A communication to the effect of "we want to deliver you a perfect car, so it's taking us a little longer than expected" to the Sig holders would, paradoxically in my opinion, help their credibility a lot, especially if they are really going to start missing the MVPA dates.

The lack of information specifically to the Sigs has been pretty deafening, and I think that's been a real lost opportunity for Tesla because, as you rightly point out, we're their biggest fans and evangelists, but need to feel some reciprocity back for that love and blind faith we showed with our deposits.

It would have been nice ifGeorge responded but I guess I'm not a big enough "A" lister to warranta response from him.

As far as we know, George is still in Europe with probably more europe-specific items on his list than he can get to while he is there.

Elon is probably insanely busy with the production ramp-up process, meaning, with delivering your car as soon as possible (while ensuring quality).

A communication to the effect of "we want to deliver you a perfect car, so it's taking us a little longer than expected" to the Sig holders would, paradoxically in my opinion, help their credibility a lot, especially if they are really going to start missing the MVPA dates.

While I understand your point, I also disagree at the same time. At least for anyone who has read George's blog post 11 days ago, and especially for those who have followed Elon's recent public statements, or those who have otherwise followed recent events, the situation is obvious enough, with just a little common sense applied: They are expecting to increase production rates, but can only decide to do so when the time has come to actually do so.

Charged_Up, you and I are on the same page. I hope I'll feel differently after I get my car, but the last month or two have soured me on the whole Tesla experience in a way that hasnt't happened since I put my deposit down 3.5 years ago. The last possible rationale for the Sig premium was early delivery. I was originally P96, and it seems like the difference will be no more than a few weeks, maximum, between my Signature car and what would have been my regular slot, which would have given me more color choices and cost a lot less. With that, I expected (and still hope) for better communication from Tesla. I'm over 200 cars behind you, so if you aren't expecting the car by the end of September, I'm definitely looking at mid-October at the earliest.

I work in a big company, and know how easy it is to fall into the trap of not communicating anything, especially potentially bad news, for whatever reason (stock price, negative press etc). I was hoping that Tesla would not fall into this trap, but it looks like they have. I truly believe that George B wants to communicate openly and honestly with us, but they seem to be in this relentlessly positive communication spin mode. A communication to the effect of "we want to deliver you a perfect car, so it's taking us a little longer than expected" to the Sig holders would, paradoxically in my opinion, help their credibility a lot, especially if they are really going to start missing the MVPA dates.

The lack of information specifically to the Sigs has been pretty deafening, and I think that's been a real lost opportunity for Tesla because, as you rightly point out, we're their biggest fans and evangelists, but need to feel some reciprocity back for that love and blind faith we showed with our deposits.

Arnold -

I happened to talk to Tesla today as I had a question about wiring - and in response to inquiry about delivery, I was told that "in the next couple of days" they should be able to give a little tighter timeline for delivery of lower sequence reservations. So we''ll see:confused: maybe an uplift or a little more wait and disappointment. I'm not horribly upset at this point, just think that better communications could help cement customers for life. but I do agree about Signature vs. non-Sig. Still hoping a little bit that there are one or two plusses yet to be revealed.

Kind regards,

Keith

I'm regular sig 371, had called today to ask about charger (see that thread for that disappointing news :mad:). I have always been quoted Sept delivery, and the girl confirmed that "you are still in the late Sept, early Oct batch.". I took that as good news, so you guys in the 100s are likely looking at Sept for sure (my guess, worth precisely nothing of course!)

Arnold -

I happened to talk to Tesla today as I had a question about wiring - and in response to inquiry about delivery, I was told that "in the next couple of days" they should be able to give a little tighter timeline for delivery of lower sequence reservations. So we''ll see:confused: maybe an uplift or a little more wait and disappointment. I'm not horribly upset at this point, just think that better communications could help cement customers for life. but I do agree about Signature vs. non-Sig. Still hoping a little bit that there are one or two plusses yet to be revealed.

Kind regards,

Keith

Thanks -- I'm not horribly upset either, just a bit anxious/disappointed/frustrated by the lack of communication to Sig owners at this point. As noted, if delivery is to be set up 30 days prior, we're already at the point where the SSLs, at the least, should have gotten those calls.

@Norbert, my comment was really geared to Sigs -- if I still had my P reservation I'd be more patient, but at this point Tesla could communicate to its most loyal customers. IMHO, SSLs who already own a Roadster and plunked down $40k for an S deserve to be over-communicated to, and Sigs generally could also get additional communication. Instead, just reading this thread for the last two hours has people hearing a bunch of different timelines from people at Tesla because there is no official word on timing. Would it be that hard to tell people "We're behind a month to ensure better sourcing/parts (or whatever the reason), so every Sig should assume the date they were given is now a month later."? Then, if they manage to get it done earlier we're pleasantly surprised, but not hugely disappointed to get pushed back at the last minute.

Again, hopefully this bad taste will leave my mouth once I'm driving the car, but right now I'm just sensing unnecessary anxiousness and frustration from several of their most ardent enthusiasts.

@Norbert, my comment was really geared to Sigs

Well, yes, that's how I understood it, as my comment was geared towards Sigs as well. I think I understand your point very well. However I also think you need to be disappointed only if you have reason to believe that Tesla has anything else in mind than building the best Model S possible, as soon as possible, and deliver it to you. As I don't think you have such a reason, being disappointed is your choice. Tesla is at the point where the next 6 months decide over whether there will be new car company for the first time for 90 years, or not. Building all-electric cars only.

Would it be that hard to tell people "We're behind a month to ensure better sourcing/parts (or whatever the reason), so every Sig should assume the date they were given is now a month later."?

The message in the room is that it might be (almost) on time, or it might be 2 months later. I find myself repeating what I have said before several times: This is the time where they have to deal with the unexpected, on a daily basis. This is only confirmed by what I hear above, that they can give a tighter timeline only in a couple of days, and only for the lower sequence reservations.