Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my initial delivery contact email last night. Delivery window for Regular Sig #267 is October 8-22nd. Delivery will be to my home in Redmond, WA. HPWC is supposed to be shipping in November. Also Tesla will be registering the Model S for us, so they needed a copy of my drivers license and current insurance card to do so.

No VIN number yet. Also I was asked if I would like a front license plate installed at the time of delivery. If not, they can install it later at the local service center. They also noted that Washington State law requires a front license plate.

Performance Sig, Sig Red exterior, Sig White interior, CF Interior, All options except paint armor, 21" Grey performance wheels. Keeping the rear spoiler on the car and getting HPWC.

Wait, so how do you charge it for a month without the HPWC? Are they providing a basic charger to start?
The "charger" is in the car. All you need to charge it is a NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you're having the electric work done by SolarCity, they will install one so you can charge until your HPWC arrives.
if you're having your own electrician handle the work, a 14-50 outlet is only around $10-15.

The "charger" is in the car.

(eye roll) THIS again. I've been hearing it for 4+ years now. I know, I know, the outside box is the "EVSE" and the car battery management circuitry is onboard, but you gotta give it up. Call the external EVSE a charger and let it go. As EVs take over the industry I guarantee that all the newbies will continue to call them chargers. I mean, considering the garbage that's out there, we have bigger battles to fight.

All you need to charge it is a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

To be clear, a regular 110 Volt wall outlet (NEMA 5) works, via the adapter provided by Tesla. Yes, of course it's slow, but it works just fine for overnight charging on commutes of ~40 miles or less.

The "charger" is in the car. All you need to charge it is a NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you're having the electric work done by SolarCity, they will install one so you can charge until your HPWC arrives. If you're having your own electrician handle the work, a 14-50 outlet is only around $10-15.

Wow, can't believe I didn't figure that out! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear, a regular 110 Volt wall outlet (NEMA 5) works, via the adapter provided by Tesla. Yes, of course it's slow, but it works just fine for overnight charging on commutes of ~40 miles or less.

I may end up doing this, as I live *right* next door to a charging station (the one in Atlantic Station). So, if I need a quicker boost, I can always use that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've now gone from "needing" the HPWC and twin chargers to just plugging this into a wall outlet. I guess I've got a bad case of charge anxiety thanks to my phone! Thanks for helping me figure this stuff out, everyone.

Just got the call I've been waiting for. I'll be picking up SSL 117 / VIN 88 tomorrow morning in Chicago. Pretty short notice but I'm not complaining! I'm probably going to have to come up with a few dollars somewhere because I'm a little short of the balance due, ironically because I transferred some money out of my checking account today to buy Tesla stock.

(eye roll) THIS again. I've been hearing it for 4+ years now. I know, I know, the outside box is the "EVSE" and the car battery management circuitry is onboard, but you gotta give it up. Call the external EVSE a charger and let it go. As EVs take over the industry I guarantee that all the newbies will continue to call them chargers. I mean, considering the garbage that's out there, we have bigger battles to fight.
Sorry terminology matters, and calling a "smart" extension cord a "charger" makes no sense at all and will probably just add to the confusion, as this particular discussion shows. The charger is in the car. I'm sure many newbies will get it wrong, so educate them, it's not that complicated.

Sorry terminology matters, and calling a "smart" extension cord a "charger" makes no sense at all and will probably just add to the confusion, as this particular discussion shows. The charger is in the car. I'm sure many newbies will get it wrong, so educate them, it's not that complicated.
I prefer "charging station" since it is the station at which you charge, or the station at which charging occurs. Or you can just plug it into the wall using the adapter.

Received my initial delivery contact email last night. Delivery window for Regular Sig #267 is October 8-22nd. Delivery will be to my home in Redmond, WA. HPWC is supposed to be shipping in November. Also Tesla will be registering the Model S for us, so they needed a copy of my drivers license and current insurance card to do so.

No VIN number yet. Also I was asked if I would like a front license plate installed at the time of delivery. If not, they can install it later at the local service center. They also noted that Washington State law requires a front license plate.

Performance Sig, Sig Red exterior, Sig White interior, CF Interior, All options except paint armor, 21" Grey performance wheels. Keeping the rear spoiler on the car and getting HPWC.

So are you getting the front license plate or taking your chances? I can't decide!