Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are basically two classes of paint protection- one is a "wrap," and the others are applied as liquids and they "cure" or "harden." I'm oversimplifying but they essentially act as a semi permanent "wax,' with some (Modesta) claiming 10 years of life. The ceramic or liquid type protection can run up to 2K but is usually less. Obviously they are not waxlike, they are more glass like and they have far better protective qualities than wax. There are, as I said, tons of threads.

The wraps are applied with an adhesive, and provide extensive protection from chipping paint, minor collisions, vandalism (keying) etc. Xpel is one of several and considered the top of the line. Features are described in detail at the xpel website. 3M and others make wraps as well.

For the best protection, many here wrap and then apply the ceramic coat. That's what I'm doing. . .

As for saying goodbye after hello, I completely get it, made me sick also. I gave my car up for a week after having it for 48 hours. (Picking up tomorrow).

I believe you should consider some paint protection. . . Here are some considerations:
  • Tesla paint is considered "soft," which means it can be easily damaged, even by improper washing let alone road damage.
  • A car is the worst investment we make in our lifetime. . . Cars depreciate immediately. I am therefore planning on owning this thing until I'm "right side up" which will essentially be when it's paid off. That will take a while, so I am doing all that I can to treat the car like an asset and protect the hell out of it.
  • If you lease, I would not wrap it at all, since that can be 3 to 6K depending where you are and how much of the car you cover. You're going to turn it in and get nada return on that investment. Because of the lease structure it will not make economic sense for you to buy the leased vehicle for the residual. It will be far less expensive to get out of your car, and buy a CPO vehicle with the same attributes. If you need financial details as to why, I can help.
  • If you lease, I would consider one of the mid level coats, but would not spend more than 1 grand or so for reasons stated above. The more expensive coatings last 5 to 10 years. The less expensive ones will last for about the length of your lease. . . Hint hint. . .
  • If you own, I would at least wrap the front. There is a package deal that covers front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors and rockers. I would also suggest doing the rear bumper. Once you've wrapped the front, I would recommend getting a ceramic coat on the entire car. That will ensure even gloss and ensure that the wrapped section doesn't look different from the unwrapped section.
  • If you own, I recommend you wrap the whole enchilada and then coat it. I know. . . you just spent a fortune on your car, and now you're going to spend a fortune on a bunch of stuff to keep it clean before it needs to be maintained . . Can run 7 or 8 K depending on where you are. If you do, your resale value will be higher due to both the investment and the condition, and your car will look new, pretty much every morning when you get in it for years to come.
So, what did I do? Last bullet. I did a lot of research and I'm doing xpel on the whole thing, Cquartz finest is the coating I'm putting over it, and I'm going to pay cash and put the pain behind me.

Happy to answer any questions having recently done hours of research on this stuff.

Good luck.

I’m so glad to see that I’m not the only one possessing enough self-awareness to realise fully, the financial imprudence of what I’m doing, and doing it anyway.

I didn’t get the whole body wrapped, just the vulnerable frontal areas and the rear bumper. I had the car coated with four or five layers of Ceramic Pro, and I also had the car windows tinted. I too, committed hara-kiri by the driving car from the delivery centre to the auto detailer within 24 hours, and leaving it with them for four days. Now THAT was agony. The entire procedure set me back approximately $3500.

Next big ticket item on the agenda, choosing a maintenance plan.

The car’s back in the family now, have thrown both key fobs to my dad, whose vehicle it now is, and trying very hard to think no more about all that money I’ve spent. No point in thinking about it anymore.

Gentlemen, thank you for the explanation. I own it. Will pay it off in 2-3 years, keep it 3-6 years, maybe pass it on to my daughter at that time. I am not sure you will ever get the money you spent on wrap/ceramic pro back. Most detailers/dealers do a good job getting any older car looking good for resell. In my experience, trade-in value or resell value won't go up a lot even if paint is flawless. It is more about options/battery size/year/mileage. However, it sounds like the wrap and "wax" makes it easier to maintain/clean, and that is a huge plus for me. I have an Autobiography RR with front bumper and headlights wrapped and they resist dings/scratches/swirls better than the rest of the truck. Also easy to wash off the bugs... I guess I will "bite the bullet" and take it in. Since I live 2 hours from the closest detailer that does it, I hope they can get it done in one day. Doesn't make sense to rent a car or take multiple days off of work to have it done...

Avesraggiana, love the photos of your dad and the car. Hubby noticed that you threaded the charging cable through the Cable Organizer as suggested in the directions (from photos most people don't). We haven't installed ours yet as we are still waiting for the car to come home.

We picked ours up after a week at the detailer for the Xpel this Saturday (Looked great, full custom body wrap and the guys did a nice job. Hubby's not convinced he needs anything else on top of it and has gotten conflicting info on that so he's holding off on that), and he was driving it home with me following in my car. He decided to do a stop at his office to try out the new ChargePoint chargers there so he could do a trial run when the lot wasn't busy. As luck would have it, the charger door opened to blue for a few seconds and then solid red. :mad:. Calls into service, reboot, and nothing would give us the colors to charge. This was before we even attempted to insert the J-1772 adapter we put on the ChargePoint wand into the car. Fortunately we weren't far from a local Tesla service center so they told us to bring it there. They were able to replicate it several times and told us a piece is "sticking" inside the charger area so a part is on order and will be replaced on Monday. At least I had my car to drive us home although they did offer a loaner. Service was great but clearly a disappointing afternoon for us and leaving me really longing to get a ride in the new car. Soon...patience is a virtue, right? I was following him driving and I will say the car looks great on the road.

Avesraggiana, love the photos of your dad and the car. Hubby noticed that you threaded the charging cable through the Cable Organizer as suggested in the directions (from photos most people don't). We haven't installed ours yet as we are still waiting for the car to come home.

We picked ours up after a week at the detailer for the Xpel this Saturday (Looked great, full custom body wrap and the guys did a nice job. Hubby's not convinced he needs anything else on top of it and has gotten conflicting info on that so he's holding off on that), and he was driving it home with me following in my car. He decided to do a stop at his office to try out the new ChargePoint chargers there so he could do a trial run when the lot wasn't busy. As luck would have it, the charger door opened to blue for a few seconds and then solid red. :mad:. Calls into service, reboot, and nothing would give us the colors to charge. This was before we even attempted to insert the J-1772 adapter we put on the ChargePoint wand into the car. Fortunately we weren't far from a local Tesla service center so they told us to bring it there. They were able to replicate it several times and told us a piece is "sticking" inside the charger area so a part is on order and will be replaced on Monday. At least I had my car to drive us home although they did offer a loaner. Service was great but clearly a disappointing afternoon for us and leaving me really longing to get a ride in the new car. Soon...patience is a virtue, right? I was following him driving and I will say the car looks great on the road.

Oh, I bet it was disappointing. Once all the glitches are cleared up, I think we all end up sharing the same experience of piling on several hundred miles just within a week or two of having the car. Even now I’m sitting here cooking up reasons to “borrow Papa’s car.” Thankfully he’s been more than generous, generally wanting me to take the lead in learning things, and coaching him about all of it after.

If your husband is still dithering, you may want to show the work that my guys did. Since you had your whole car wrapped, if I understood my detailers correctly, all the Ceramic/Cquartz coating will do is add an additional layer of protection, make keeping the car clean less time-consuming, and, most importantly for me, give the car’s paint finish that water-like, pop-up-in-your-face, high gloss. Truthfully, my dad couldn’t care less, but I really favour that high gloss look.

I hope your charge port glitch gets sorted really quickly, so you can just get on with the business of driving, and Tesla-smiling. It happens a lot, and I’ve got the sore smile muscles to prove it!

We immediately took the car out for a small mountain drive. As we were pulling in to an open preserve, my partner hesitated to drive forward because it was gravel road. That's when we realised that the next stop has to be a car detailing shop. (We weren't planning on getting any car wrap up to this point.) Next day we stopped by the detailing shop recommended by @chibi_kurochan (thanks!), and we're picking up the car tomorrow!
View attachment 219554

Glad that I was able to help! I'm sure the Borillo brothers did another excellent work, like they did on ours! What did you get for wrap and tint?
Even after almost 2 weeks, I still haven't had that much time to play with our car. Today it went to Fremont Service Centre for some minor body work adjustments (front bumper alignment and door chrome trim alignment). Our car still has <200miles on it and that's mostly from my wife driving it around herself.

Just an update on our charging or non-charging problem as it was. The charger unit (not the charger door) came in and was replaced yesterday. While hubby wondered why it wasn't discovered prior to delivery, it apparently was an intermittent issue as the shop was able to get it to charge but on a number of occasions could see the red like us when we wanted to initiate a charge. All better now. They charged the car at the shop so we still haven't experienced doing that ourselves (neither ChargePoint J-1772 nor SC).

Hubby drove home last night on the freeway. I finally got to ride in our car when we headed out for a late night dinner taking some back roads to give the car some drive time on more local roads. Parking will take some getting use to with the distance indicator. Parked twice and checked distance visually each time comparing it to the screen. Seemed pretty accurate with a curb and our garage doors. We have SAS so used that at our driveway which has an incline just to be safe. My ICE car will sometimes bottom out if driven up to the house a bit too fast. The MS does sit low to the ground, much more than any of our other cars.

Lots of things to read up on and get acquainted with but it was a really nice ride and I hated to get out of the car. Driving at night was really nice. Seats felt very comfy. Hubby said the car feels wider than our other cars (true) and will take a little adjusting to but said he enjoys driving it. Look forward to going out tonight for a ride! We need to put some miles on it and try out that SuperCharger. :D

Last edited:
Updated today to "in transit from the factory" At first the estimated delivery was april-early may, then april 11-25, and now april 3-10 ;) This is actually making me nervous because i still dont have the purchase agreement order PenFed needs in order to release a check for me :| blah lol

Here is yet another timeline for delivery of a blue Model S 100D with glass roof in Chicago, IL:

3/4/17: Order placed
3/12/17: Order confirmed/VIN assigned
3/17/17: Production started
3/18/17: Production completed
3/21/17: Schedule delivery
3/31/17: Taken delivery (We were out of the country for a week and couldn't pick it up any earlier)

We were initially told to expect delivery in late April - early May and were pleasantly surprised by the ultra-speedy production and delivery. When we picked up Tessi (wife named her), we were informed that they had a number of scheduled pickups yesterday, which is why the walk-through of the new vehicle was relatively short.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Here is yet another timeline for delivery of a blue Model S 100D with glass roof in Chicago, IL:

3/4/17: Order placed
3/12/17: Order confirmed/VIN assigned
3/17/17: Production started
3/18/17: Production completed
3/21/17: Schedule delivery
3/31/17: Taken delivery (We were out of the country for a week and couldn't pick it up any earlier)

We were initially told to expect delivery in late April - early May and were pleasantly surprised by the ultra-speedy production and delivery. When we picked up Tessi (wife named her), we were informed that they had a number of scheduled pickups yesterday, which is why the walk-through of the new vehicle was relatively short.

That is very speedy! Congrats!
What VIN range is your new car?

Picked up my Model S (75D) last week from Fremont and immediately dropped it off at my detailer for Xpel. Just got it back yesterday and snapped a couple quick pics to share since I wasn't able to find any good pics of Pearl White/Ultra White combo.
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3334.JPG
IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3332.JPG IMG_3333.JPG

First post woot!

Picked up my Model S (75D) last week from Fremont and immediately dropped it off at my detailer for Xpel. Just got it back yesterday and snapped a couple quick pics to share since I wasn't able to find any good pics of Pearl White/Ultra White combo.

OMG. I almost switched my pearl white / ultra white MS to black interior before the order finalized. SO GLAD I didn't. This looks AMAZING. I can't wait until mine comes in!

Any fit and finish or other delivery issues?

Picked up my Model S (75D) last week from Fremont and immediately dropped it off at my detailer for Xpel. Just got it back yesterday and snapped a couple quick pics to share since I wasn't able to find any good pics of Pearl White/Ultra White combo. View attachment 221651 View attachment 221657 View attachment 221652 View attachment 221653 View attachment 221654 View attachment 221655 View attachment 221656

First post woot!

Great photos! Definitely shows off the car to it's best. Enjoy driving.

Reactions: BruceR61