Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope everything goes as planned for you as it did for me. Welcome to your future.
cu send.jpg

Model S VIN 5YJSA1E18HF209335
Ordered July 6th
Confirmed July 10th
Estimated Late August/Early September Delivery

I can't wait!

My Model S 100D has finally been delivered!

Ordered: 5/23
Confirmed: 5/30
In Production: 6/23
Production Finished: 6/29
Delivered: 7/19

It was "direct shipped" because Tesla wanted to finalize it before end of Q2 and I wanted to secure the 1.49% interest rate (which, at least on my approval, was only good until end of June). They gave me a loaner until mine arrived which was great.

But, I would not recommend this option to anyone. The whole "direct ship" process seems to be completely disorganized. And I was constantly in the dark about when I would get the car. I even missed 2 days of work this week sitting at home because I was told it would be there and it just never showed up - with no communication at all.

Instead of being sent to my local SC (Columbus OH) and being prepped there, it was sent to Chicago for the final prep. That facility was overloaded so it sat there for ~2 weeks! Then there were delays getting it scheduled with a shipper and was even delayed by a day because the shippers were LOCKED OUT of the gated area where the car had already been loaded in the semi.

It arrived absolutely COVERED in dust from the gravel parking lot where it was stored for a couple days after detailing, with no Slacker config, the GPS thinks it's still in Chicago, and the remote app access hasn't been enabled. I'm not upset about any of this - it's all easily corrected - but it was a bit of a let down seeing it that way for the first time.

Tesla really needs to work on their communication throughout the entire production and transportation phases. They should provide more details, car location, estimated build dates, etc. All of that should be automated and available on the MyTesla page. Being left in the dark like I was just transformed my anxiousness into aggravation. I hope there are improvements coming soon or they will be swamped by the volume of Model 3.

Despite all of that (and after a wash!), the car is beautiful and I absolutely love it.

My Model S 100D has finally been delivered!

Ordered: 5/23
Confirmed: 5/30
In Production: 6/23
Production Finished: 6/29
Delivered: 7/19

Despite all of that (and after a wash!), the car is beautiful and I absolutely love it.

Congrats! I ordered mine (also in Columbus, also 100D) 5/24. Mine went to production a week earlier, arrived in CMH at the service center 6/29 - perhaps because I half-heartedly suggested I might "cancel" (even if I could, which I'm not sure) if it wasn't delivered on time.

The production/delivery process certainly is a mystery! Same car, same destination, same order date - 3 weeks difference on delivery!

There's a new J1772 charger in Polaris this week! :)

Reactions: jcee
New Tesla Model S owner and EV driver since 2011 (2 volts),
After waiting since 2012 for my Model S purchase I finally bought a new S75D,
My delivery experience was different from the 1000 I read about and I watched on youtube.
Felt like I was picking up a Chevy instead of Tesla Model S.
No welcoming card. No goody bag. Car looked like it was rushed through a car wash, Still wet in places with dirt smudges
along the side panels and rear hatch. So my expectations of entering special family are gone. Waited 4 years for my special time and the presentation and special feeling on delivery was missing. I guess Tesla is gearing up for the mass produced Model 3's and are streamlining delivery,
My family and friends were disappointed as well.
TESLA a few dollars and effort pay off in goodwill and new customers. What's the cost for an umbrella, t-shirt? Marketing 101, the little things mean alot for customer happiness and special feeling of being part of a revolution in technology, Also chance to grow future customers. I'm not sharing good feelings with family, friends and coworkers, All of who are future customers, I'm telling them how disappointed I was,

So I now I have a chip on my shoulder and the rest of the day went downhill.
Interior lighting was not connected on driver side door,
Passenger side fog light was off. Driver door not lining up with passenger door, Detailing was subpar,
Only positive experience was talking with TESLA owners who were waiting to pick up there cars and suv's,
They still believe,

Part 2 Ranger Service:

Ranger service came out to my house on monday to repair/fix fog light. They ended up replacing the unit. They said a piece of molding was blocking the connector from seating securely. But guess what, They failed to check to make sure the unit was working before leaving, Five minutes later I was using the summon command on my mobile phone to park the car in the garage. I notice the fog light was not on.
Quickly called roadside service and explained what happened, I suggested they contact the ranger crew to come back before they were stuck in traffic, They were successfull and rangers came back, They asked what was going on? I said the fog light was not working. I asked if they checked to make sure everything was working before departing, No answer. I left them to there work
and waited to see what they found wrong. Hoping there wasn't a short in the wiring harness.
Turns out they didn't properly secure the connector to the light assembly before replacing the front assembly and verifying the light was working, I asked them if they could repair the driver door alignment, They said I would have to schedule a visit to my local SC in Dallas for the repair, With my TESLA experience so far, I would guess loaner no longer provided and I'll have to use UBER. Wouldn't be surprise anymore, Even Chevy gave me a loaner.

Part 3:

I recieved my Model S on Wednesday. On Friday Tesla changed options and pricing. The options I selected were now standard
and options I left off are now available for 1,500 more. Winter package and hifi sound,
I would of appreciate TESLA giving me a heads up, I would of gladly paid the extra 1500 for the extra options,

So far my Tesla experience C-.
It would of been lower but the car carried the day with it's performance.

The Positive:

I had 3M tinting and dashcam installed, Getting Opticoat Pro Plus next weekend, I followed up on recommendations
I read on TMC and they were spot on, Very happy with the DFW tinting install, The dashcam was professionally installed with front and rear cameras, The company I have detailing the car looks to be 1st rate and looking forward to that experience,
One of the local owners in Dallas suggested the Opticoating and handed me a card of the person who did his work,

I'm hopefull my TESLA experience will change for the better, Can only go up,,,,

Was lucky enough to find a demo in Indy and placed the order on 7/15. They scheduled delivery here in Houston for tomorrow (7/27). I got a call yesterday saying the car was still in Indy with no ETA. I have shipped cars multiples times and for the price they charge ($2,000) they should be able to move cars far quicker than this. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Was lucky enough to find a demo in Indy and placed the order on 7/15. They scheduled delivery here in Houston for tomorrow (7/27). I got a call yesterday saying the car was still in Indy with no ETA. I have shipped cars multiples times and for the price they charge ($2,000) they should be able to move cars far quicker than this. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I had this exact experience. Call Palo Alto. NOW.

New Tesla Model S owner and EV driver since 2011 (2 volts),
After waiting since 2012 for my Model S purchase I finally bought a new S75D,
My delivery experience was different from the 1000 I read about and I watched on youtube.
Felt like I was picking up a Chevy instead of Tesla Model S.
No welcoming card. No goody bag. Car looked like it was rushed through a car wash, Still wet in places with dirt smudges
along the side panels and rear hatch. So my expectations of entering special family are gone. Waited 4 years for my special time and the presentation and special feeling on delivery was missing. I guess Tesla is gearing up for the mass produced Model 3's and are streamlining delivery,
My family and friends were disappointed as well.
TESLA a few dollars and effort pay off in goodwill and new customers. What's the cost for an umbrella, t-shirt? Marketing 101, the little things mean alot for customer happiness and special feeling of being part of a revolution in technology, Also chance to grow future customers. I'm not sharing good feelings with family, friends and coworkers, All of who are future customers, I'm telling them how disappointed I was,

So I now I have a chip on my shoulder and the rest of the day went downhill.
Interior lighting was not connected on driver side door,
Passenger side fog light was off. Driver door not lining up with passenger door, Detailing was subpar,
Only positive experience was talking with TESLA owners who were waiting to pick up there cars and suv's,
They still believe,

Part 2 Ranger Service:

Ranger service came out to my house on monday to repair/fix fog light. They ended up replacing the unit. They said a piece of molding was blocking the connector from seating securely. But guess what, They failed to check to make sure the unit was working before leaving, Five minutes later I was using the summon command on my mobile phone to park the car in the garage. I notice the fog light was not on.
Quickly called roadside service and explained what happened, I suggested they contact the ranger crew to come back before they were stuck in traffic, They were successfull and rangers came back, They asked what was going on? I said the fog light was not working. I asked if they checked to make sure everything was working before departing, No answer. I left them to there work
and waited to see what they found wrong. Hoping there wasn't a short in the wiring harness.
Turns out they didn't properly secure the connector to the light assembly before replacing the front assembly and verifying the light was working, I asked them if they could repair the driver door alignment, They said I would have to schedule a visit to my local SC in Dallas for the repair, With my TESLA experience so far, I would guess loaner no longer provided and I'll have to use UBER. Wouldn't be surprise anymore, Even Chevy gave me a loaner.

Part 3:

I recieved my Model S on Wednesday. On Friday Tesla changed options and pricing. The options I selected were now standard
and options I left off are now available for 1,500 more. Winter package and hifi sound,
I would of appreciate TESLA giving me a heads up, I would of gladly paid the extra 1500 for the extra options,

So far my Tesla experience C-.
It would of been lower but the car carried the day with it's performance.

The Positive:

I had 3M tinting and dashcam installed, Getting Opticoat Pro Plus next weekend, I followed up on recommendations
I read on TMC and they were spot on, Very happy with the DFW tinting install, The dashcam was professionally installed with front and rear cameras, The company I have detailing the car looks to be 1st rate and looking forward to that experience,
One of the local owners in Dallas suggested the Opticoating and handed me a card of the person who did his work,

I'm hopefull my TESLA experience will change for the better, Can only go up,,,,
i'm really sorry you had such a rough experience. i'm having a bad one as well and i haven't even gotten my car! it was supposed to be delivered to my door today, and its going to be tomorrow and i'l have to pick it up! i'm about 30 miles from the sf office its at right now but i have to wait because the detailers are need more time because of how dirty it is (scary).

i'm really hoping that i dont have any malfunctions with it like yourself.

i'm hearing a lot about 3m and opticoat. what is this? im a bit new to all of this. thanks!!

i'm really sorry you had such a rough experience. i'm having a bad one as well and i haven't even gotten my car! it was supposed to be delivered to my door today, and its going to be tomorrow and i'l have to pick it up! i'm about 30 miles from the sf office its at right now but i have to wait because the detailers are need more time because of how dirty it is (scary).

i'm really hoping that i dont have any malfunctions with it like yourself.

i'm hearing a lot about 3m and opticoat. what is this? im a bit new to all of this. thanks!!

Another form of paint protection. Some use in combination with xpel.
Xpel is a film and helps with protecting against rock chips, abrasive sand, etc. Different grades of opticoat are out on the market with cost and warranty options. Can be applied by mobile installers. Depends on your budget, location and needs.

Finally got a call back. Apparently the car has been sitting at the store for 2 weeks because they dont have a truck full enough to pick it up. According to Tesla they only ship cars once the truck is full to "reduce carbon footprint" AKA save money. What a totally lame and unacceptable excuse. They did say there was "good news" and that was that the logistics team was aware of the car...Is that really even news worthy?

Finally got a call back. Apparently the car has been sitting at the store for 2 weeks because they dont have a truck full enough to pick it up. According to Tesla they only ship cars once the truck is full to "reduce carbon footprint" AKA save money. What a totally lame and unacceptable excuse. They did say there was "good news" and that was that the logistics team was aware of the car...Is that really even news worthy?

"total cabbage footprint". That's the money factor. The $100 they save may influence a friends/family sale with stories you may tell.