Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone traded their old car at the time of taking delivery? Please share your experience and anything that should be done beforehand to streamline the process. At this point all they have asked is to self appraise the vehicle.

About a week before delivery I was asked to fill out another web-based form (completely separate from and redundant with what's in MyTesla) and upload photographs from specific angles. They didn't do much of an inspection themselves once I actually brought the vehicle to them on delivery day, but that probably depends on your location and DS. I'm sure they're supposed to inspect it pretty carefully. They didn't change my appraised value at all since the initial appraisal I got back after submitting the basic info via MyTesla. Again, YMMV.

EDIT: Make sure you bring the title! I owned my trade-in outright so I didn't have to deal with a loan payoff. I'm sure that's extra paperwork. My DS handled all the paperwork; I just handed him the title on delivery day and some time later he came back with stuff for me to sign, all done. My title was from a different state, which complicated things for the DS but didn't complicate it at all for me (but I'd given him a heads up so he was expecting it -- if this applies to you be sure to let the DS know in advance.)

About a week before delivery I was asked to fill out another web-based form (completely separate from and redundant with what's in MyTesla) and upload photographs from specific angles. They didn't do much of an inspection themselves once I actually brought the vehicle to them on delivery day, but that probably depends on your location and DS. I'm sure they're supposed to inspect it pretty carefully. They didn't change my appraised value at all since the initial appraisal I got back after submitting the basic info via MyTesla. Again, YMMV.

EDIT: Make sure you bring the title! I owned my trade-in outright so I didn't have to deal with a loan payoff. I'm sure that's extra paperwork. My DS handled all the paperwork; I just handed him the title on delivery day and some time later he came back with stuff for me to sign, all done. My title was from a different state, which complicated things for the DS but didn't complicate it at all for me (but I'd given him a heads up so he was expecting it -- if this applies to you be sure to let the DS know in advance.)
Thank you for sharing the information. I also paid off the car to avoid any additional paperwork complications.
I have submitted the information as they requested through the web portal.

Have a good Day.

They could've even stopped the S75 on the last day of Sept. Why this Sunday?
I think they want to take away the ability to order one, sooner the better and have people clear out the inventory if they want the lower priced one. Once they have cleared the inventory, I am sure they will drop the prices on S75D. Otherwise, they will have to sell the S75 even cheaper. Just my thoughts.
And I guess the price will be dropped sometime next quarter in a way to deliver maximum number of vehicles by quarter end. If they do it too late, then they won't be able to meet numbers to satisfy wall street.

Has anyone traded their old car at the time of taking delivery? Please share your experience and anything that should be done beforehand to streamline the process. At this point all they have asked is to self appraise the vehicle.
I traded mine in ahead of time. The process was very simple: first, a Tesla rep took a few pictures of my car while I was test-driving a Model S. They then submitted them somewhere without even me filling out any questionnaires. A day or two later they came back with an estimate (which was ok, but not great, somewhat below the KBB). So I then went to CarMax for an appraisal, and was offered $1000 higher than the Tesla's initial estimate. I then went back to Tesla and they accepted the CarMax's quote, saving me a few hundred dollars more in sales taxes. The only catch was that the CarMax's quote was only valid for one week: after that I would have to do another appraisal with no guarantee of getting the same price. I liked the price and didn't want to risk it, so I went ahead and brought my car to Tesla 2-3 weeks ahead of the Model S delivery date. No big deal, as I could drive my wife's car in the meantime. The only things I had to bring with the car were the keys, the title and the CarMax's offer. That was it, took just a few minutes.

Last edited:
I think they want to take away the ability to order one, sooner the better and have people clear out the inventory if they want the lower priced one. Once they have cleared the inventory, I am sure they will drop the prices on S75D. Otherwise, they will have to sell the S75 even cheaper. Just my thoughts.
And I guess the price will be dropped sometime next quarter in a way to deliver maximum number of vehicles by quarter end. If they do it too late, then they won't be able to meet numbers to satisfy wall street.

I can see them dropping the price next week - if they were worried about margin, they would have discontinued RWD on Oct 1. If they are worried about clearing out inventory, they may drop the price now and try and clear out inventory of reduced price RWD and AWD 75s. I think inventory has been growing A LOT over the last several quarters.

Reading the tea leaves, I think they are going to have disappointing deliveries this quarter and are more scared of the impact of that (viability of the Model S and X) than the absolute profitability.

For the 90D units, we see that they have showroom discounts and even some were made after you couldn't order them. So, the 75 RWD may have been made and will be made until the orders are exhausted but the inventory would possibly be discounted next week to help finish up the quarter. Look around next week for anyone reporting "smokin deals" going into the 30th.

Quoting @yargok: "Reading the tea leaves, I think they are going to have disappointing deliveries this quarter and are more scared of the impact of that (viability of the Model S and X) than the absolute profitability"

Or...they can have a record delivery month...my little finger is telling me. Wonder if it will be enough to make a record delivery quarter, maybe not, but in some markets, these last days have been ludicrous!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Quoting @yargok: "Reading the tea leaves, I think they are going to have disappointing deliveries this quarter and are more scared of the impact of that (viability of the Model S and X) than the absolute profitability"

Or...they can have a record delivery month...my little finger is telling me. Wonder if it will be enough to make a record delivery quarter, maybe not, but in some markets, these last days have been ludicrous!
I think its more about meeting the guidance given for this quarter rather than beating it. At this stage, street is more concerned about the ability of Tesla to meet the production goals. Otherwise, the stock is going to tank. Model 3 ramp is going to be a key component here.
Due Announcement for the truck late October could be another catalyst to provide some support to the stock price.

Well, current status is as follows:

Order confirmed 8/20
In production 9/12
MyTesla still reads: "Your Tesla is currently in production." With "Estimated Delivery Range: September 25, 2017- October 9, 2017"
Updated today by my DS that the car has completed production (despite the MyTesla data).
Car is still in Fremont, awaiting shipment.
My DS says that their logistics team thinks it should get to Columbus, OH 9/29 and he has a tentative appointment for me to pick it up on 9/30.

Needless to say I'm a little nervous about the likelihood of actually taking delivery by the end of the month, mostly because of the uncertainty about the fate of the 0.99% financing and what it will do to my interest rate (currently locked in at 0.99% until the end of the month) if they have to re-run my application if that offer expires.

Nothing I can do to speed up the process but the waiting game is not great especially when it's getting down to the wire like this.

Ordered 7/27
Confirmed 8/1
Prod 8/25-8/28
Currently as Houston SC apparently waiting to have enough cars on a car carrier to justify transport to Louisiana.
I AM SO TIRED OF WAITING I'm seeing some people with delivery at about the one month mark from order.
Here I am TWO MONTHS LATER still waiting. Crickets chirping. DS to give me update today (Ive heard nothing, of course) and when I go back to work this week I'll be DEFENDING TESLA on delay after delay and poor communication all the while...
GMMDC already. You have my money. #Delayedgratification

ive seen flights between BTR and IAH around $70 i would jump on one of those and pick up ur car in houston instead ;)

Ordered 7/27
Confirmed 8/1
Prod 8/25-8/28
Currently as Houston SC apparently waiting to have enough cars on a car carrier to justify transport to Louisiana.
I AM SO TIRED OF WAITING I'm seeing some people with delivery at about the one month mark from order.
Here I am TWO MONTHS LATER still waiting. Crickets chirping. DS to give me update today (Ive heard nothing, of course) and when I go back to work this week I'll be DEFENDING TESLA on delay after delay and poor communication all the while...
GMMDC already. You have my money. #Delayedgratification

Reactions: JMR124