Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lesson learned based on my personal experience, it may vary or not apply to everyone at all. First, what I was told by DS as far as delivery goes seems to be true, does not matter where in North America you order the car, they will time it so you will get your car more or less on the same day, so yes, east coast bound cars will almost always get into production first but they will be delivered at the same time as west coast bound cars. It appears that your DS has the latitude to move up or down your production/delivery schedule within reason. Do not be too concerned with the status update on the website especially the VIN thing, in my situation, they were never up-to-date, in my case, even when the car was sitting in the delivery center it still said in production, and when I had my car sitting in my garage it still said in transit to delivery center. If there is a database trigger to update status of your car, I believe it is not directly to the webpage but rather message to someone, that someone would have to manually update it. The most important thing is to have good communications with your DS and OA, BTW, your OA is your best friend, more so than anyone else. Also, if you want to de-badge your car to get a clean look, make sure you tell your OA ahead of time so it can be arranged to be done at the Service Center after you pick up your car. Last of all, the car is amazing though a bit long for my taste.
GREAT ADVICE! Agree with it all and it's so good that there are so many like you who are willing to take the time to answer questions from us newbies. This forum definitely got me thru the long wait and helps so much! I have learned so much from this forum and I am so happy that I found it! Thanks for the info!

WOW! That looks terrific!!! What a beautiful car!

I NEED to stay off this thread or I am never going to make it to the end of March.

This is ridiculous! I have had plenty of high end cars (mostly MB, BMW and Lexus) and I am nearing "Senior Citizenship" but I am like a kid on Christmas Eve over this stupid Tesla.... LOL!
How very true. Not like walking into an ICE dealership and getting your new car an hour later or maybe a day later!

The first new car I bought was a 1969 Camaro SS, blk /blk, 396 ci., an absolutely beautiful car. I had to wait 4 weeks for it to be built and delivered. The wait was terrible, but that is the way it was in '69. I have had lots of cars since then, but the Tesla has really stirred my blood.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Yes I know, I ordered the white too.
Well, I feel like I need to clean them every time I drive the car. I am not sure what the best cleaner to use on them is, either. I think someone in one YouTube video used water with a little spritz of Dawn dishwashing liquid and it worked the best. Seems weird to me but they, if I remember correctly, used several different products and I believe that the Dawn mixture was what worked the best. I need to go back and watch the videos again.

If you find it please post (re-post) on our forum - I'm sure many will benefit from the information. My first reaction to the white interior was "who is going to want that to deal that?" But then it grows on you and if you are seriously considering a Tesla, you are not mainstream anyway. Within about a week I went from "no way" to "I like the white - it's cool." I hope you are right about Dawn, it will be the least expensive car maintenance product I own. Meguiar's Gold Class cleaner runs about $10 a bottle.

If you find it please post (re-post) on our forum - I'm sure many will benefit from the information. My first reaction to the white interior was "who is going to want that to deal that?" But then it grows on you and if you are seriously considering a Tesla, you are not mainstream anyway. Within about a week I went from "no way" to "I like the white - it's cool." I hope you are right about Dawn, it will be the least expensive car maintenance product I own. Meguiar's Gold Class cleaner runs about $10 a bottle.
You are SO right, on all points! We definitely are not mainstream! I don't want a Lexus, even though I know they are great cars, that is one car I would NEVER EVER buy. EVER! Everyone has one, it seems. bleh. Then there are so many Mercedes out there (I've had two and I'm over that completely!)
I like a car that other people don't have and you don't see everywhere you look. That is one of many reasons I love Tesla! I love the technology and I love it being electric, it's the total package!
As for the cleaner, I will look for that YouTube video and post the link!

I have heard "soft paint" mentioned also which seems a little suspicious considering how advanced the car is. Why would they choose a seemingly substandard paint on a "luxury" car so carefully engineered? I will look into Buff Guys for some input on materials, prices, etc. I definitely need protection on the the front at a minimum.

BTW, checked my account page today (Sat) and still my car is still "in production". I think we will both come out of production this upcoming week, but it sounds like delivery has suddenly caused a bottleneck.

I have a feeling that our cars, along with few others mentioned on this forum, will be shipped via "high-speed" train from CA to Birmingham. Hence the delay. Please let me know what you find on BuffGuys or any other reputable shop in ATL.

I have a feeling that our cars, along with few others mentioned on this forum, will be shipped via "high-speed" train from CA to Birmingham. Hence the delay. Please let me know what you find on BuffGuys or any other reputable shop in ATL.

This may be true! FWIW, my status still says In Production even though my DS informed me that the car has been built and is awaiting transport in a rail yard. Production started 2/16.

Well, I feel like I need to clean them every time I drive the car. I am not sure what the best cleaner to use on them is, either. I think someone in one YouTube video used water with a little spritz of Dawn dishwashing liquid and it worked the best. Seems weird to me but they, if I remember correctly, used several different products and I believe that the Dawn mixture was what worked the best. I need to go back and watch the videos again.

I would not use Dawn. It'll clean the seats alright, but it'll also dry out the leather. I've always sworn by Lexol and have never had an issue. Granted, I've never had white leather, but I can't imagine Lexol wouldn't be a better solution than Dawn.

AHH CBP--Quite the opposite here in Bellevue,WA,. I see about 20 per day including 3s. The only reason I ordered silver.
The only uniqueness I could salvage with such a neat car. Getting anxious also ,knowing that the west coast bound cars
will be produced last in this 1/4.
100D cnf 1/12 VIN 2/8 . Still not in production. But maybe a 2 day truck ride away.

What's Opti-Coat Pro Plus? Happy Driving the MS!
I recalled this from my archives which I researched for my other vehicle; source lost. Apologies for long post!

....Coatings are relatively new compared to waxes and sealants. They are usually made from ceramics that can take more wear and tear while some of them giving high-end waxes a run for their money! CQuartz, Opti-Gloss Coat and various other coatings in the market are made from Silicon Dioxide while coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro is made from Silicon Carbide. Semi-permanent paint coatings such as CQuartz and Opti-Gloss Coat last for 2+ years on most automotive surfaces. Opti-Coat Pro and various permanent paint coatings can last for 5+ years on most automotive surfaces. Coatings are resilient to all environmental contaminants and reduce scratches caused by driving and washing. They also tend to perform well against bird bombs and chemical deterioration. Water-spotting can still be an issue on coatings but certain coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro Plus and CQuartz UK are resistant to water spotting. Just in case, we recommend washing your vehicle with deionized water. Several coatings also come with a warranty that is directly registered with the manufacturers of the coating. Normally, coatings are thicker and leave a candy-coated look to the vehicle. Pricing on coatings can vary from several hundreds to a few thousand dollars depending on your installer, the choice of coating and prep work required.

I am sure there is very little Dawn in that water that I saw the person using on YouTube but I am planning to use Optimum No Rinse on mine, inside and out. I had the Opti-Coat Pro Plus put on my car yesterday, straight from the dealership. The detailer found all kinds of things that one usually finds on new cars, from some scratches to some swirls, to glue residue from the protective wrap that was on it during transport, to other fixable imperfections and would have had Tesla come pick the car up had he found anything serious. He gave me a bottle of the Optimum No Rinse made by the company who makes Opti-Coat Pro Plus and I am going to use it on the seats as well. I almost feel like putting something at least on the seat to cover it and maybe protect it. Not sure what I am going to do.

I recalled this from my archives which I researched for my other vehicle; source lost. Apologies for long post!

....Coatings are relatively new compared to waxes and sealants. They are usually made from ceramics that can take more wear and tear while some of them giving high-end waxes a run for their money! CQuartz, Opti-Gloss Coat and various other coatings in the market are made from Silicon Dioxide while coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro is made from Silicon Carbide. Semi-permanent paint coatings such as CQuartz and Opti-Gloss Coat last for 2+ years on most automotive surfaces. Opti-Coat Pro and various permanent paint coatings can last for 5+ years on most automotive surfaces. Coatings are resilient to all environmental contaminants and reduce scratches caused by driving and washing. They also tend to perform well against bird bombs and chemical deterioration. Water-spotting can still be an issue on coatings but certain coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro Plus and CQuartz UK are resistant to water spotting. Just in case, we recommend washing your vehicle with deionized water. Several coatings also come with a warranty that is directly registered with the manufacturers of the coating. Normally, coatings are thicker and leave a candy-coated look to the vehicle. Pricing on coatings can vary from several hundreds to a few thousand dollars depending on your installer, the choice of coating and prep work required.
Thank you for explaining that to everyone! (Also, Opti-Coat Pro PLUS has an even better wear and warranty!) Can you just tell me really quick, what exactly is deionized water and where do you get it?

How very true. Not like walking into an ICE dealership and getting your new car an hour later or maybe a day later!

The first new car I bought was a 1969 Camaro SS, blk /blk, 396 ci., an absolutely beautiful car. I had to wait 4 weeks for it to be built and delivered. The wait was terrible, but that is the way it was in '69. I have had lots of cars since then, but the Tesla has really stirred my blood.
I know!!!!!!! I am just so excited for you! I LOVE this car. I have had it home one full day now and OMG....it is a dream come true! Plus I am so glad I don't see them everywhere! I see Lexus and Mercedes and every other kind of car but hardly any Teslas! That, I love!

AHH CBP--Quite the opposite here in Bellevue,WA,. I see about 20 per day including 3s. The only reason I ordered silver.
The only uniqueness I could salvage with such a neat car. Getting anxious also ,knowing that the west coast bound cars

I would not use Dawn. It'll clean the seats alright, but it'll also dry out the leather. I've always sworn by Lexol and have never had an issue. Granted, I've never had white leather, but I can't imagine Lexol wouldn't be a better solution than Dawn.
Thanks for the info! I will look at using the Lexol because even though I saw the people on YouTube testing different products, I wouldn't want to put the wrong thing on my seats. Thanks!

Yep, I believe there are a lot more in the city (Nashville) than there are in my small town. I do know of several here in the small lake town I live in which is NE of Nashville, one being Kelly Clarkson, who has a white one and one of the songwriters for Chaka Kahn who has a red one. I don't care for many of the colors except the Obsidian Black but I'm like you, I want something you don't see all the time. That being said, I don't drive a lot, I tend to be a homebody and like being at home and rarely get into the city except for Titans games and concerts and of course, shopping so maybe that's why I haven't seen many because I know the dealership here sells a LOT of Teslas! I am excited for you and hope you get some good info soon!!!!