Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this update from my DS - I was supposed to have a late June delivery, but seems word is now it will be first week of June. Maybe things are running fast!

"Got an update for you! Your Model S is in Pre-Production and has been assigned VIN ......88139. Parts are currently being made and allocated for it and I expect to have it ready for you in Chicago by the first week of June."

After going into production last Thursday, last night (Monday) it went back to Order Confirmed. I have seen this is fairly common and I'm hoping it will update soon. Anyone else who has had this happen have any communication from their DS as to what this status really should be, maybe post-production-pre-testing? I asked my DS to call me last week and haven't heard back, but I'll give him another try.

Update: It just went to Production Complete - In Transit

For others seeing this mine was in Order Confirmed for about 12 hours and from reading the notes on the Order Tracker it seems My Tesla is not properly handling a new status of "Pending Loading"

Last edited:
My DS is out of the office today so I can't ask him where my train is. I'm not sure they're the same train though. It doesn't make sense to go to Ohio through Texas. I'd think they'd be on the Union Pacific line through Nevada/Utah/Colorado and northeast towards Chicago. I'm sure more than one train leaves the factory each week.
I used to work in the rail industry and routing was very complex and a single railcar could be handled by many carriers (less now because of consolidation) and could go through many locations. I dont know how many car would fit on a railcar, but lets say 10 going to 10 locations. The rail carrier that initially is contacted could route the car to first head to one city dropping of a vehicle or 2 then another, etc. etc. My initial thought was the same why wouldnt the train basically go straight through Chicago on its way east stopping in Cleveland and then even further east. I know one person on here in New Jersey that is expecting delivery any day as well.

Just got this update from my DS - I was supposed to have a late June delivery, but seems word is now it will be first week of June. Maybe things are running fast!

"Got an update for you! Your Model S is in Pre-Production and has been assigned VIN ......88139. Parts are currently being made and allocated for it and I expect to have it ready for you in Chicago by the first week of June."

Aw man, just was exchanging emails with my DS and he stated he made a mistake. I'm set for an early JULY delivery not JUNE delivery - he got mixed up. With that, the actual estimate for delivery is later than what Tesla stated so they are behind schedule or reprioritizing D70s, or cars to Illinois right now. Grrrrr, I was totally ready for an early delivery and that is deflated now - ugh...

Aw man, just was exchanging emails with my DS and he stated he made a mistake. ... Grrrrr, I was totally ready for an early delivery and that is deflated now - ugh...

Sorry to hear this. The wait is hard enough without disappointing surprises. On the plus side, your DES is being proactive about communicating, which really helps with the wait once the car is built and in transit.

Status changed to "Your model S is in transit from factory". Its out there **somewhere**.. It took 3 business days for Tesla to actually build my Model S which seems to be consistent with some other posts in TMC. But delivery estimate still says late May. (FYI -> confirmed Apr 19, 70D).

Hey Duma. I see you for the textile seats. I've been thinking of them to save some cash and my wife doesn't like leather in the summer. What has been your experience?

I like the textile seats just fine but I have never had a car with leather seats. Bear in mind that I have lived with them for all of one week.

The seats were the only option where I went back and forth. Seemed like leather seats are expected on a car in this price range but after reading the forums extensively, textile has some definite advantages. Seat heaters are more effective (and it gets cold here in Pittsburgh), textile is more comfortable (more air circulation, don't get hot in sun) in hot weather (and it gets hot here in summer), and textile grips better than leather when cornering. The latter is the case some make for the NextGen seats for even more money, although that seems to work best for small framed people and both my wife and I are average to large. I also intend to keep my car for a looong time and have concerns about leather durability after 10 years+. Other than not meeting the leather expectation, the only other down side is the hat tip to the Model T - you can get any color you want as long as its black.

Mine shows in transit as of today, delivery date still says June. So hopefully the actual result is a May delivery!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about your delivery estimate. Mine never changed from 'May' but I got my car at the end of April. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

- - - Updated - - -

I've received 2 e-mails from my DS, one was a response to a couple of questions I had but other than the initial introductory e-mail nothing. Not sure what I should be expecting though?

70D 86327 went into production today, 5/13. Confirmed on 4/24. Delivery says June - but maybe sooner to Chicago. Dark Metallic Blue (old color) w tan leather. Should be gorgeous. We are very excited.

Our SA and DS experience has been excellent so far.

Update happened sometime today on mytesla:

2015-04-18 : Deposit paid (thank you for your order e-mail)
2015-04-25 : Order placed (date on purchase agreement pdf)
2015-04-26 : Order is confirmed (e-mail)
2015-04-27 : Assigned VIN# 86427. Estimated delivery "Late May"
2015-05-09 : Your Model S as Entered Production (e-mail received)
2015-05-14 : Status changed to "Your Model S is in transit from the factory." (no e-mail, just changes on the web site)

Delivery Center: Scottsdale, AZ

Model: Silver Metallic P85D | Smart Air | 19" --> T Sportline TST 19×85 Metallic Grey 34 Studio | Pano | NG Seats | Glossy Obeche | Autopilot | Lighting | UHF Sound

Nice! - Although I confirmed about 2 weeks earlier, seems our P85D's were assembly line brothers!

Ordered - 4/8
Confirmed 4/9
Production -5/9
Transit 5/14

Going to Rockville, MD.

Update happened sometime today on mytesla:

2015-04-18 : Deposit paid (thank you for your order e-mail)
2015-04-25 : Order placed (date on purchase agreement pdf)
2015-04-26 : Order is confirmed (e-mail)
2015-04-27 : Assigned VIN# 86427. Estimated delivery "Late May"
2015-05-09 : Your Model S as Entered Production (e-mail received)
2015-05-14 : Status changed to "Your Model S is in transit from the factory." (no e-mail, just changes on the web site)

Delivery Center: Scottsdale, AZ

Model: Silver Metallic P85D | Smart Air | 19" --> T Sportline TST 19×85 Metallic Grey 34 Studio | Pano | NG Seats | Glossy Obeche | Autopilot | Lighting | UHF Sound

Taking delivery tomorrow!

I'm a 3 hours away from the closest SC (Raleigh), so they're delivering it to my house. Today they had it detailed, drilled on the mandatory front plate holder, and did their inspections. I'm a little nervous about how they're delivering it - I haven't confirmed it with the DS, but I'm guessing they're using a 3rd party, and I've read that once it's in their hands it's officially out of Tesla's, and if anything happens you're potential SOL (though it seems Tesla likes to make it right). Is this a legit concern of mine?