Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to figure out why I have been notified seemingly before others when I clearly ordered after and I'm on the other side of the country. As I said before, it looks like a new build based on the VIN....

View attachment 471871

Hoping I just got lucky!

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the P100Ds are coming quicker than the LR. Ordered LR on 10/3 and taking delivery 11/12.

in the end, reading some of the worries about delivery times, it’s starting to feel like people who get mad at a restaurant with a long wait. It is what it is, and there wouldn’t be a wait if it wasn’t popular. Sometimes, having a party of 2 with a really hot date (p100d) gets you seated quicker.

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing the P100Ds are coming quicker than the LR. Ordered LR on 10/3 and taking delivery 11/12.

in the end, reading some of the worries about delivery times, it’s starting to feel like people who get mad at a restaurant with a long wait. It is what it is, and there wouldn’t be a wait if it wasn’t popular. Sometimes, having a party of 2 with a really hot date (p100d) gets you seated quicker.

I would agree with your restaraunt analogy if Tesla hadnt promised 2 weeks for delivery when the order was placed. If you had a reservation at 6pm at your favorite place and showed up and were told a table by the shitter would be ready at 9pm, pretty sure your snarky attitude above would change.

• Disagree
Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Agreed.

Tesla might want to get better managing expectations regarding delivery. When I ordered mine on the 4th the site said ETA 2 weeks. A month later I don't have a VIN. Had they not got me all excited for a new car in 2 weeks I wouldn't be too phased. Today the same order says 3-6 weeks, which I am going to assume means closer to 6-8, but we'll see what that means in reality for me.

I would agree with your restaraunt analogy if Tesla hadnt promised 2 weeks for delivery when the order was placed. If you had a reservation at 6pm at your favorite place and showed up and were told a table by the shitter would be ready at 9pm, pretty sure your snarky attitude above would change.

Not sure that qualifies for snarky, but sorry for the hurt feelings. Just saying it seemed to meet my expectations, which were low, of a quick turnaround. The entire thread has people that it took a little longer than the “estimate”. Would be great if it were more on time, but it was never a promise, and it’s well worth the wait. That was the thought behind the analogy, which I thought was at least slightly entertaining.

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.

Not sure that qualifies for snarky, but sorry for the hurt feelings. Just saying it seemed to meet my expectations, which were low, of a quick turnaround. The entire thread has people that it took a little longer than the “estimate”. Would be great if it were more on time, but it was never a promise, and it’s well worth the wait. That was the thought behind the analogy, which I thought was at least slightly entertaining.

Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.
Oh no hurt feelings at all and didnt mean to come off that way. Just making a point as we are sort of patiently waiting for oy

Gave the assistance number a call [(888) 518-3752] to see if the estimate given to me a couple weeks ago changed or if that is what was still estimated. Now take what this rep says with a grain of salt, but he told me that Model S and X would be going into production at the end of November / beginning of December. Just more speculation for the group to digest.

Gave the assistance number a call [(888) 518-3752] to see if the estimate given to me a couple weeks ago changed or if that is what was still estimated. Now take what this rep says with a grain of salt, but he told me that Model S and X would be going into production at the end of November / beginning of December. Just more speculation for the group to digest.
I order my S on 10/17 and haven’t received a VIN yet, so this sounds about right.

Are the S and X built on the same line as the 3? Would not make sense. Nor would it make sense to build the S and X last. Seems to maximize revenue/profit they should make all of the S's and X's first until they fulfill demand and then move on to the 3's.

Are the S and X built on the same line as the 3? Would not make sense. Nor would it make sense to build the S and X last. Seems to maximize revenue/profit they should make all of the S's and X's first until they fulfill demand and then move on to the 3's.

Agreed, however I also got an email today from the Sales Associate I ordered with stating:

"Thank you for being so patient about this and understanding. The latest news I've heard about this is that Tesla will officially begin to build all vehicles for the United States starting December 15th. There may be a chance they start sooner. You are one of my clients that ordered the earliest(10/5), you should definitely be getting your vehicle before EOY and eligible for the Federal Tax Credit."

Not sure about that time frame as we are definitely seeing US movement on M3 cars, but who knows at this point!

Sooooo it will happen when it happens :)

Agreed, however I also got an email today from the Sales Associate I ordered with stating:

"Thank you for being so patient about this and understanding. The latest news I've heard about this is that Tesla will officially begin to build all vehicles for the United States starting December 15th. There may be a chance they start sooner. You are one of my clients that ordered the earliest(10/5), you should definitely be getting your vehicle before EOY and eligible for the Federal Tax Credit."

Not sure about that time frame as we are definitely seeing US movement on M3 cars, but who knows at this point!

Sooooo it will happen when it happens :)
The one thing you can count on is that Tesla will go all out to get everything delivered before year end. Unfortunately the closer you are to Fremont the more likely you’ll be among the last to get delivery. I’m in the Palm Springs area and was told my 10/17 order could be expect mid to late December.

The one thing you can count on is that Tesla will go all out to get everything delivered before year end. Unfortunately the closer you are to Fremont the more likely you’ll be among the last to get delivery. I’m in the Palm Springs area and was told my 10/17 order could be expect mid to late December.
That’s strange. I ordered by Model S LR on 2 Oct and am scheduled to take delivery in Kansas City this Friday 8 November. It’s currently on a transporter in Chicago, so hopefully it makes it down in time. If what you’ve been told is right it seems like they may have had a production pause for Model S as my car was produced to order and was not a stock car.

That’s strange. I ordered by Model S LR on 2 Oct and am scheduled to take delivery in Kansas City this Friday 8 November. It’s currently on a transporter in Chicago, so hopefully it makes it down in time. If what you’ve been told is right it seems like they may have had a production pause for Model S as my car was produced to order and was not a stock car.
You could be right. Cars headed overseas get produced at the beginning of the quarter because of the length of shipping, and the east coast cars are produced next. My first Model S was ordered early March 2018 and delivered in Fremont (I did the factory tour) on June 3, 2018.

Most of the Teslas I’ve been seeing in southern California are the Model 3, so I wager they are being or about to be produced with the S and X Ravens next. Time will tell, stay tuned.

Reactions: gbailey