Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why some of us are getting delivery notifications while others are still twiddling our thumbs if we placed around the same day?
We wouldn't know. My rep in Seattle told me before that all production (at least for MS) was dedicated to European deliveries. This is obviously not the case anymore. However, my order that I put in the first half of September and asked not to deliver before mid October when my current lease was going to expire is still in the same state as it was in September.

As much as I still enjoy my Blue 2016 MS I'm ready to switch to my Red 2019 MS :) At this point I'm thinking that it rather will be a Christmas mmm... present than Thanksgiving one.

Placed an order for MS LR, black exterior/white interior, w/ FSD on 12/3. Decided to remove the FSD on 12/7 so updated the order.

Just got this text this afternoon:

I went ahead and completed the credit application since I was going to finance through Tesla anyway. We’ll see if there is anything to “priority vehicle matching for faster delivery”. I’m doubtful.

I just submitted my credit app too. Had to chat with a rep just to make sure the application is good for 60 days since the website still says 30 days. Fingers crossed this speeds up delivery.

MS LR ordered 10/8. Red with black interior, FSD. Still getting radio silence from Tesla a month later. The rest of you getting delivery notices with order dates 10+ days later than mine are getting me fully green with envy!

Starting to feel like we'll have to name her "Santa's Sleigh."

Maybe not the most popular topic, but has anyone looked at what effect the current production backlog has had on the new-used-gently- used market of 2018 early 2019 M3 and MS resale value?

When I ordered in May 2019 (pre-raven) there was minimal wait on new vehicles and an abundant supply of existing inventory and low mileage demos. Immediate "drive off the lot" depreciation was a concern for me, but I really wanted a Tesla with FSD, had no crystal ball to see what was coming, and needed a car ASAP. At the time I was not even aware of the great Tesla forums and how fun these cars really are, latest model or not. I just wanted one and they were plentiful and priced to sell. I can't help but think there are always going to be people in the same situation I was in. Thoughts?

Maybe not the most popular topic, but has anyone looked at what effect the current production backlog has had on the new-used-gently- used market of 2018 early 2019 M3 and MS resale value?

When I ordered in May 2019 (pre-raven) there was minimal wait on new vehicles and an abundant supply of existing inventory and low mileage demos. Immediate "drive off the lot" depreciation was a concern for me, but I really wanted a Tesla with FSD, had no crystal ball to see what was coming, and needed a car ASAP. At the time I was not even aware of the great Tesla forums and how fun these cars really are, latest model or not. I just wanted one and they were plentiful and priced to sell. I can't help but think there are always going to be people in the same situation I was in. Thoughts?

Not sure what the question actually is? If you want to know what your car is worth, call a SA and they will tell you their number.

My October 2018 with 19K miles that I paid $107K for last year is worth $63K.

Not sure what the question actually is? If you want to know what your car is worth, call a SA and they will tell you their number.

The quote I received on October 8 2019 for my 2018 Model S MSM, cream interior, 4200 miles (delivered 6/2018) was $63,600. I was advised that figure could be reduced when my new MS Raven is delivered in December. My neighbor found out that I was getting rid of the current car and has purchased it from me. I haven’t seen any used Model S on the website so I can’t speak to the fairness of this price, but I am happy to be getting a Raven.

Just call Tesla to see if my financing lapsed or if I will need to do an update. The rep took my information and put me on a brief hold. When she came back she told me that I am good with my current term fortunately and went on further to say I should receive an update on my car on 11/20 and if I don't get a text or email to call back on 11/21 asking for information. This was done without being prompted by me as I wasn't even going to ask because I knew there wouldn't be much point, or so I thought.

She also added that Tesla is officially going into full production for US cars next week.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33

I am referring to resale value, not trade-in value as you would get from a Tesla SA. It seems that the newer used cars would be in greater demand since Tesla is clearly not meeting new order deadlines. Greater demand should drive up value.

I am referring to resale value, not trade-in value as you would get from a Tesla SA. It seems that the newer used cars would be in greater demand since Tesla is clearly not meeting new order deadlines. Greater demand should drive up value.

This is a good question that is tough to answer. Tesla resale is all over the place, depending on the dealership, market, etc.

Anecdotally, Carmax and Carvana were not interested in buying my 2018 MS 100D and I don't know if there is much of a private market. I reached out to Current Automotive outside Chicago as they specialize in EVs, and they told me I could not do better than Tesla's offer given the sales tax credit I would get buying from Tesla.

On other words, I didn't sense any greater demand. I didn't try very hard, but no offers for my car from the usual suspects.

In any event, think the lack of S/X availability is only short term because as US sales have waned, Tesla pivoted to serving foreign markets. Tesla will soon focus back on the US to make its quarterly numbers.

For what it's worth, my Manage page source now has a VIN assigned. Ordered MS LR on 11/3.

5YJXXXXLF359XXX
This is a good question that is tough to answer. Tesla resale is all over the place, depending on the dealership, market, etc.

Anecdotally, Carmax and Carvana were not interested in buying my 2018 MS 100D and I don't know if there is much of a private market. I reached out to Current Automotive outside Chicago as they specialize in EVs, and they told me I could not do better than Tesla's offer given the sales tax credit I would get buying from Tesla.

On other words, I didn't sense any greater demand. I didn't try very hard, but no offers for my car from the usual suspects.

In any event, think the lack of S/X availability is only short term because as US sales have waned, Tesla pivoted to serving foreign markets. Tesla will soon focus back on the US to make its quarterly numbers.

That does seem to be the case. There seems to be a point in age where depreciation levels out, but right now it seems like Tesla is pretty much like all other brands in drive-off-the-lot depreciation. Thinking this through, if we are to believe in the "Tesla Effect" that is gripping large portions of the new luxury trade-in market and the insane depreciating nature of newer high-end ICE cars, a used Mercedes at a great price might actually be more attractive to many buyers than a used Tesla at a fair price.

Chicago orders are starting to get filled. Ordered Oct 10th in Chicago, picked up my car yesterday, Nov 13th. Could have gotten it Nov 5th, but was out of town, so 4 weeks.

IMG_0345.jpg

I pulled the trigger on a performance model that popped up in inventory in Costa Mesa with 1650 miles on it, so hopefully that bumped someone up in the queue waiting for a LR MS MCR with 21" Turbines! Delivery now scheduled for 11/21 in Burbank! Lack of patience definitely won here.

It was a test drive vehicle, so my SA mentioned that Tesla would not be liable for any cosmetic damages (curb rash, micro swirls, etc), but I still have the option to refuse at delivery. I'm leasing, so am not super worried, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for in therms of an inspection of a test vehicle?