Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I ordered on 11/18, still nothing although my VIN showed in the source page since 12/16. My seller rep promises me every weekend that it is this coming weekend. I think I should cancel this order and place a new one. I contacted customer support via chat, they promise some one is gonna contact me within an Hour. Delivery of Costa Mesa send me a text that still they can't help as they don't have VIN Yet. So after canceling this order I will chose a different Delivery Center. Such a bad experience. If I did not purchase the chargers and spent a lot of money to install them then I would cancel this order and never look at Tesla Cars again.

It gets even better. I just got a call from Tesla to tell me my car is at the delivery center and I’m picking it up tomorrow. Still no VIN showing on my Owners Page.

Hi All,

I ordered on 11/18, still nothing although my VIN showed in the source page since 12/16. My seller rep promises me every weekend that it is this coming weekend. I think I should cancel this order and place a new one. I contacted customer support via chat, they promise some one is gonna contact me within an Hour. Delivery of Costa Mesa send me a text that still they can't help as they don't have VIN Yet. So after canceling this order I will chose a different Delivery Center. Such a bad experience. If I did not purchase the chargers and spent a lot of money to install them then I would cancel this order and never look at Tesla Cars again.
I wouldn’t cancel. Try contacting them through chat again and explain what’s going on. You don’t want to lose the $1875 tax credit. The deliveries are coming fast and furious. My local delivery center didn’t contact me that the car had arrived; they still show my delivery for 12/27.

I wouldn’t cancel. Try contacting them through chat again and explain what’s going on. You don’t want to lose the $1875 tax credit. The deliveries are coming fast and furious. My local delivery center didn’t contact me that the car had arrived; they still show my delivery for 12/27.

Hi Scott, do you know if I can return the wall charger and the CHAdeMo adapter and other accessories that I purchased from Tesla?? Honestly, I was an idiot to think to deal with a car company that is new to the market. I should have leased a S Class (it would be cheaper) or every a Bentley ( More expensive but the best customer service ever). So many promises with no delivery. And I just discovered that they don't offer loaner cars (although I don't need it as I have more than one car) but looking at the whole situation, it doesn't look good so far.

Thanks for your input. Good luck with Tesla.

Hi Scott, do you know if I can return the wall charger and the CHAdeMo adapter and other accessories that I purchased from Tesla?? Honestly, I was an idiot to think to deal with a car company that is new to the market. I should have leased a S Class (it would be cheaper) or every a Bentley ( More expensive but the best customer service ever). So many promises with no delivery. And I just discovered that they don't offer loaner cars (although I don't need it as I have more than one car) but looking at the whole situation, it doesn't look good so far.

Thanks for your input. Good luck with Tesla.
I don’t know if they will take returns. Definitely reach out to the parts department at your local showroom. I would also try reaching out to current owners on this TMC website to see if anyone is interested in the chargers. I would think with so many new buyers there would be interest.

So sorry you weren’t treated better.

Hi All,

Although I agree with you about the lack of communication - mainly not being upfront or guessing or some policies of Tesla, I am not sure you can complain simply because you don't know yet - barely 4 weeks after order. NO other car maker will build and deliver a car to you in 4 weeks. A custom order is usually 8 -12 weeks - and longer under many circumstances. They certainly at this point should be able to give you something more definitive and expecting everyone to accept that they will get a text someday and have a 2 day window to pick up - in the next 4-5 days. Yes, that is crazy. And I have custom ordered 7 vehicles. NO one does it this way.

Let us know how it goes today. Mine is still in transit but they moved me for tentative pickup tomorrow at 2:30 in Costa Mesa after a call to the delivery center.
I had a funny feeling about my scheduled pick up, mainly because my Owner Page hadn’t been updated. As a precaution I stopped be the DC and sure enough, they didn’t have me scheduled until next Friday. Good news is they will deliver today at 3 p.m.

Wherein the left hand doesn’t know what the right one is doing.

I had a funny feeling about my scheduled pick up, mainly because my Owner Page hadn’t been updated. As a precaution I stopped be the DC and sure enough, they didn’t have me scheduled until next Friday. Good news is they will deliver today at 3 p.m.

Wherein the left hand doesn’t know what the right one is doing.
Interesting, good luck and hopefully it’s flawless once you get it. My account is now all updated so it looks like I’m ready to go. Maybe they will move me up again. :)

Just received this text: Hello, this is the Tesla Delivery team in Costa Mesa. We apologize for the inconveinence as we will not be able to deliver your vehicle tomorrow due to a required firmware update. You will be tentatively scheduled for Sunday the 22nd until we make contact - thank you!

Hi Scott, I am sorry for the bad news. From my side, the sales rep provided me with a VIN on 12/16 and today he informed me that my car will be leaving the Fremont factory today by end of day. However, Costa Mesa service center insisted that I have no VIN yet. That is why I get really upset. I made chat with Tesla customer support and they should call me. I use to think that there is something wrong with my order but now I reloaded that there is something wrong with the Costa Mesa person. Apparently they don’t like my name lol lol lol.

Hi Scott, I am sorry for the bad news. From my side, the sales rep provided me with a VIN on 12/16 and today he informed me that my car will be leaving the Fremont factory today by end of day. However, Costa Mesa service center insisted that I have no VIN yet. That is why I get really upset. I made chat with Tesla customer support and they should call me. I use to think that there is something wrong with my order but now I reloaded that there is something wrong with the Costa Mesa person. Apparently they don’t like my name lol lol lol.
The good news for me is I have my car. When I arrived I had just missed a message telling me about the firmware update, which was in process. It seems some/many of the cars coming off the line have a problem with the seat calibration, which requires the firmware update to correct. I made myself comfortable and took delivery at about 4:15 p.m. Not bad, really.

I can’t say enough good things about the folks at Palm Springs/Cathedral City. They were committed to getting my car to me. I hope everyone here gets theirs as soon as possible.

By the way, car drives great, noticeably more than my 2018.

I am sure you guys all know this, but all these problems are occurring due to everyone wanting the very small fed tax credit, including myself. I have a 2018model S, and ordered my wife another X. Did so on 11/8 and still no Vin. They say after Xmas but before the 31st. They are delivering nearly 50 to 60 cars per day, which is 5 times more than normal. So with that sudden increase in deliveries there are going to be a lot of issues, first likely the communication break down.

Reactions: SoCalMike
I am sure you guys all know this, but all these problems are occurring due to everyone wanting the very small fed tax credit, including myself. I have a 2018model S, and ordered my wife another X. Did so on 11/8 and still no Vin. They say after Xmas but before the 31st. They are delivering nearly 50 to 60 cars per day, which is 5 times more than normal. So with that sudden increase in deliveries there are going to be a lot of issues, first likely the communication break down.
You’re absolutely correct about the tax credit crunch. When I ordered my 2018 Model S I received a VIN within 4 weeks. This time I hadn’t been notified up until the day before I took delivery, yesterday. I think the failures/problems are at Fremont. My DS had no idea who was getting their car until the rolled off the truck. That said, the car is flawless and the delivery process, once the previously mentioned firmware issue was resolved, was smooth. Since I was coming off a relatively new Model S I didn’t require a walk through.

I do suggest you make an inquiry on the chat section. It saved me a week because I had been tentatively scheduled for a 12/27 delivery.

Reactions: SoCalMike
Guys its just the year end crunch....for most, the tax credit is important.....I ordered on 10/16 and it was confirmed on 10/22.....I am going to Ecuador on 28 Dec....I have been so stressed about all the activity and Christmas activities and trip that I called Tesla in Costa Mesa and told them since I have not received a vin yet, I want them to push my order out till after 15 Jan 2020 when I return.....it may also help to insure all updates and seat fixes are in before I get it......Merry Christmas to all....hope everyone’s orders gets here on time....

My first post!
2017 CPO ordered on 11/29. I am trading in a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. The process took time and that is okay with me.
Delivery center is Dedham.

I was scheduled to take delivery on 12/19 but was informed 2 hours before the appointment that the title hasn't arrived yet. My advisors have not responded to my one email to them since then.

The latest update I have is that it is expected on12/23.

This would be my first Tesla. I wait with hope.

12:15am I got the email about selecting which dates I am NOT available. Earliest date on that calendar is 12/22. (the date I said I needed it by). Guess I'm going to have to drive back 300 miles from our trip to pick-up my car. I'm going to try to speak to SA before selecting dates.
Website now also asks for final payment. I just paid the balance.

Got a text last night to schedule appointment for 12/23 or 12/24. Those were 2 of the dates I was "not available". I selected 12/23, which will cause us to miss a night of our prepaid vacation ($500/night condo). Since car was in transit yesterday I called and "begged" to pick up today (12/21) or first thing 12/22. Rep is going to call me by 6pm to let me know if car got there and if it will be ready. Really poor communication. Love the cars, hate the Customer Service.

Yahoo!

When I picked up my S yesterday there were 9 Model 3s sitting in the showroom waiting to be delivered. All white. I believe I was the only Model S that day, and no Xes.
ill bet one of them was mine......I told them I would pick it up after the 15th Of Jan because they could not get it to me before 28 Dec....we leave 27th for Ecuador........so now I willl just have to wait a little longer