Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate most of the entries on this thread are US but for comparison my UK order was put in 7/10 Vin confirmed last week with delivery estimated as mid December.
Will be interested whether reassembling the car in Holland (which is part of the delivery process) makes any difference to the quality issues being flagged up on here. I'm not convinced!
I'll let you know.

My delivery date is scheduled for 11/30. Three weeks ago had inquired about having my tires swapped to winter tires at delivery since it starts dipping below 40 degrees in my region regularly this time of year. I tried to reach operations and service to no avail. Leaving a message with anyone at Tesla once you place an order is known to be a lost cause. Last Monday I emailed the service department at the delivery center and left a message with operations on Wednesday, and I received a text from Tesla, however, it was a standard "do you have any questions", to which I replied with my current inquiry and was ghosted.

Here is what I had asked, am I being a jerk? I'll pay for whatever is needed. I'd even be good with a no, we won't facilitate this response vs being ignored.

"I will be picking up a new Model S Performance at the Devon facility in a few weeks and I plan on using the factory Tempest wheels as my winter wheels. It comes equipped with summer tires that should be changed out about this time of year (although the upcoming forecast looks to be unseasonably warm). I would like to bring tires to be installed unless I can purchase a set from Telsa. I reviewed the parts catalog and it does not appear Tesla sells anything that fits these rims other than the studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 winter tires. If I can purchase Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 245/45R19 tires or other similar unstudded winter tires from Tesla please let me know, otherwise please advise if I can bring tires along to be installed at delivery.

My order is RN11408xxxx \ VIN 5YJSA1E4XMF424xxx."

Out of frustration of receiving no response, I ordered a set of TSportline TSS 20" wheels with winter tires installed, and I am hoping it will be warm enough to drive the OEM wheels\tires 90 miles home and then garage the car and Uber everywhere until I can get someone else I can trust to swap the wheels after they arrive.

It sure seems odd Tesla offers so few options for Model S wheel options given there are few ways to differentiate yourself among other owners.

After all this, I have worked myself into a panic worrying about delivery quality issues as I scour forums and other social media. My 2019 Model 3 Performance had issues, some light scratches, and a damaged fender that took a few months to get replaced due to time at the paint shop. I've had other very minor issues, but feel good overall about the quality of that vehicle. I can say that of the 8 new (non-Tesla) cars I have purchased in the past, quality concerns were not something I even remotely worried about. I am just not sure I will be able to deal with shelling out 104k on a car with any substantial defects.

The last odd thing to occur was my trade-in offer expired and they wanted to verify the odometer reading. This seemed fine, but they wanted it in kilometers. I converted it fine, but it seemed strange to request that in the US. No idea if that will be an issue yet, as that was just this weekend.

Has anyone taken delivery of a low to no issue 2021 Model S? Also, has anyone had the delivery center change out tires and/or wheels?

my sales advisor says that the date on my Tesla page is a mistake. He doesn’t know why it says that and he doesn’t think it’s in transit.

he said the 2-4 week text message I received should be more accurate.

don’t know what to think....

On Saturday the Tesla page changed to 11/21-11/26. Sunday it changed to 11/22-11/26 and today it changed to 11/23-11/26. So everyday it just removes a day from the timeline.

Still no VIN, this is super strange and my SA doesn’t know what’s going on!

What about your SA? Does he/she know why it’s like that?
They have been less than useful. I was told about 1.5 weeks ago that my car was in the current build cycle and I would get a VIN within 1-3 weeks. So I guess I have another 10 days before I can call shenanigans on them. And my delivery started as 11/20-12/4 and the first date keeps moving to the current date. Just like yours. Someone told me that mine will ship via train to Chicago, then truck to Cinci. I am no logistics expert but if I am to get it by 12/4 I would think it would have had to have been built and on a train by now. My original timeframe was 12/4-12/30.

They have been less than useful. I was told about 1.5 weeks ago that my car was in the current build cycle and I would get a VIN within 1-3 weeks. So I guess I have another 10 days before I can call shenanigans on them. And my delivery started as 11/20-12/4 and the first date keeps moving to the current date. Just like yours. Someone told me that mine will ship via train to Chicago, then truck to Cinci. I am no logistics expert but if I am to get it by 12/4 I would think it would have had to have been built and on a train by now. My original timeframe was 12/4-12/30.

my SA just replied with

“Hi

Yea we check and the site has been acting up and we’re addressing it now. You’re not the only person experiencing that and sorry about that.”

when I asked why the site shows 11/23-11/26 and just keeps updating to move to the current date.

my original estimate is 11/19-12/17.
Let’s see what it shows on the site when they finally fix it...

my SA just replied with

“Hi

Yea we check and the site has been acting up and we’re addressing it now. You’re not the only person experiencing that and sorry about that.”

when I asked why the site shows 11/23-11/26 and just keeps updating to move to the current date.

my original estimate is 11/19-12/17.
Let’s see what it shows on the site when they finally fix it...

More of the same, Tesla site now says 11/24-11/26 lol.

So I am no master of the english language but I know the difference between "Delivery Date", and "VIN Assignment Date". This was the response from my SR when I asked about this:

From our knowledge, that is when you will be assigned a VIN #. We have sent messages to our team to re-work the wording on peoples account.

SMH

Has anyone taken delivery of a low to no issue 2021 Model S?
Yes, I would classify mine as "low-issue". Here's my write-up from the night I brought it home: Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions.

The only other issue I've noticed since then is the right camera is kind of loose. Noticed this when I did my first hand-wash of the car. Camera moves around just a little bit when I touch the housing for it. Plan to schedule service for that. Other than that my only serious complaint is phantom braking issues, though I consider that a software problem, not a problem with my particular car.

Also, has anyone had the delivery center change out tires and/or wheels?
Not something I would have thought to try... You might just bring the new tires along and ask them to swap them when you pick up the car. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they turned you down. You could always just drive straight to a local tire shop to swap them straight away.

Just sharing my ordering process and timeline for others who are curious. Will post about the delivery experience once we get the car.
Model S LR+
Red Paint with FSD and 21 sonic turbine wheels
Order Date: 10/23/20
Date VIN visible on website: 11/19/20
Text Message from Tesla to schedule Delivery: 11/20/20 Also indicated that Car would be at delivery center on 12/01.
Delivery Date confirmed for: 12/04/20

This will be about 10 days earlier than the original delivery estimate.

Just sharing my ordering process and timeline for others who are curious. Will post about the delivery experience once we get the car.
Model S LR+
Red Paint with FSD and 21 sonic turbine wheels
Order Date: 10/23/20
Date VIN visible on website: 11/19/20
Text Message from Tesla to schedule Delivery: 11/20/20 Also indicated that Car would be at delivery center on 12/01.
Delivery Date confirmed for: 12/04/20

This will be about 10 days earlier than the original delivery estimate.
What is your VIN 424?xx?

Yes, I would classify mine as "low-issue". Here's my write-up from the night I brought it home: Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions.

The only other issue I've noticed since then is the right camera is kind of loose. Noticed this when I did my first hand-wash of the car. Camera moves around just a little bit when I touch the housing for it. Plan to schedule service for that. Other than that my only serious complaint is phantom braking issues, though I consider that a software problem, not a problem with my particular car.

Not something I would have thought to try... You might just bring the new tires along and ask them to swap them when you pick up the car. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if they turned you down. You could always just drive straight to a local tire shop to swap them straight away.

Thanks, since Tesla was unable to sell me tires they offer i ended up buying TSportline TSS 20" wheels with Pirelli winter tires, and they will install them at my delivery appointment as long as I sign a waiver.

My only issue now is they dropped my Model 3 trade value 4% even after accounting for increased pricing on FSD. The money isn't an issue, but to essentially raise the price of the car $2,000 two business days before delivery is a dick move.

I only ordered the car to help the company, S/X lines were underutilized and to make the 500k EOY target I figured they needed help or they would not have cut pricing either. I also understand a refresh may be released in very short order with Lucid shipping vehicles soon, and with that in mind already realize I will see much greater depreciation that the S has historically seen.

I am debating cancellation, but, anything else gas or electric doesn't quite compare. The only viable compelling is to go for the a Lucid Air Grand Touring this summer.

I will sleep on it and see if perhaps Tesla will meet me in the middle. Otherwise on principle alone I'll walk away from the order.