Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with Reddy - Plaid very likely to come first. Margin, also halo effect. "You get one chance to make a first impression."

I read delivery delays as Tesla needing more time to debug volume production. As mentioned above, there's a lot that's new with this refresh.

Tesla probably believed, correctly, that they could shake down problems during early production with Model 3 and Model Y. Different marketplace now - many credible competitors will be available this year. If the S & X aren't nearly perfect from the start, risk-averse buyers will likely prefer offerings from established auto companies, or startups that haven't shipped any products. No customers complaining about panel fit on hypothetical vehicles, are there?

Finally, wild speculation - could FSD beta have revealed data deficits that triggered sensory improvements in refreshed models? Sharper camera resolution (better speed and distance estimates) or better color rendition (better object and edge recognition)? Better radar (phantom suppression)? More units?

I believe they already realize they need better camera and radar resolution, however, they will do whatever is necessary to release 'Autoseet on City Streets' so that they technically fulfill the obligation to existing FSD customers before releasing any Autopilot hardware upgrades.

I guess I'm a little slow in my old age --- It just occurred to me that you have just described the Lucid strategy. You may be right. I may be naive. I have only been following al this since November and placed my first order in December. I have had some good car purchase stories through the years but this is the most drawn out and speculation filled.

I wouldn't call it the Lucid strategy as Tesla has been doing this since its inception, and it wasn't an original concept then either.

I wouldn't call it the Lucid strategy as Tesla has been doing this since its inception, and it wasn't an original concept then either.

Didn't mean to imply that Lucid was the only one out there doing it, or that they originated it, only that if Reddy is correct, Tesla is using the same strategy on the Model S Plaid as Lucid is with the Air Dream Edition. He may be right.

Reactions: reddy
I too wonder what is happening in Fremont. I put pre-order back in December. Part of me is torn, because in 3 ways, i want to see/drive car prior to delivery, i still want car ass soon as possible, but i also would t mind getting thst 7k credit.

Wish the timeline for the green act was more clearer as it relates to getting passed/turned to a law.

I too wonder what is happening in Fremont. I put pre-order back in December. Part of me is torn, because in 3 ways, i want to see/drive car prior to delivery, i still want car ass soon as possible, but i also would t mind getting thst 7k credit.

Wish the timeline for the green act was more clearer as it relates to getting passed/turned to a law.
New level of superfan here

I'm wondering why folks are so concerned about the $7000 tax credit that's possibly coming. Because it's a tax credit, is there any reason to expect it wouldn't apply to any purchase made in 2021 (and then subject to phase out after that)? Rather than from some arbitrary date when it's announced and after that only?

I'm wondering why folks are so concerned about the $7000 tax credit that's possibly coming. Because it's a tax credit, is there any reason to expect it wouldn't apply to any purchase made in 2021 (and then subject to phase out after that)? Rather than from some arbitrary date when it's announced and after that only?

According to the proposed bill, the vehicles sold after the manufacturer hit 200,000 and before the bill is passed don’t count for the extra 400,000 allocation.

However, it is true that this doesn’t necessarily mean some vehicles sold in-between those milestones aren’t eligible for the tax credit. For example, Tesla hit the 200,000 milestone in June of 2018, but the full tax credit was still available for until the end of 2018, and half the credit for the first half of 2019.

Given that it’s a federal tax credit that usually applies for a full calendar year, it is possible that Tesla vehicles sold in early 2021 qualify for the credit when filing for 2021 taxes in 2022 - however there is no guarantee of that, until the bill passes with full rules and limits detailed (assuming it even passes in the first place). For example, the bill could pass in late-2021 and only take effect on January 1st of 2022 for that tax year.

So if the tax credit is an absolute must-have for some folks who have budget limits, I would say it’s prudent to wait until the bill passes (or buy another EV of lower cost). For the vast majority of Tesla would-be buyers, the tax credit is simply a nice-to-have, so shouldn’t be a prerequisite.

According to the proposed bill, the vehicles sold after the manufacturer hit 200,000 and before the bill is passed don’t count for the extra 400,000 allocation.

However, it is true that this doesn’t necessarily mean some vehicles sold in-between those milestones aren’t eligible for the tax credit. For example, Tesla hit the 200,000 milestone in June of 2018, but the full tax credit was still available for until the end of 2018, and half the credit for the first half of 2019.

Given that it’s a federal tax credit that usually applies for a full calendar year, it is possible that Tesla vehicles sold in early 2021 qualify for the credit when filing for 2021 taxes in 2022 - however there is no guarantee of that, until the bill passes with full rules and limits detailed (assuming it even passes in the first place). For example, the bill could pass in late-2021 and only take effect on January 1st of 2022 for that tax year.

So if the tax credit is an absolute must-have for some folks who have budget limits, I would say it’s prudent to wait until the bill passes (or buy another EV of lower cost). For the vast majority of Tesla would-be buyers, the tax credit is simply a nice-to-have, so shouldn’t be a prerequisite.

Thanks, Mark. I'm not desperate enough for the car to give up the tax credit. The tricky part, it would seem, is going to be what to do when it's time to pay the Elon and we don't have clarity on the tax credit specifics yet. I'll try not to think about that until it's time to cross that bridge!

Thanks, Mark. I'm not desperate enough for the car to give up the tax credit. The tricky part, it would seem, is going to be what to do when it's time to pay the Elon and we don't have clarity on the tax credit specifics yet. I'll try not to think about that until it's time to cross that bridge!
I think what i wonder if when and if it will pass the senate.