Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got a call from the sales manager yesterday! He told me they just got the word that Plaid Models will start general production next week, followed by long range. He expected the first deliveries to begin around the week of March 8th. Also said not to pay attention to the Tesla emails, as long as you upload your title info, (copy of license) and choose delivery location you are in line at Freemont. The rest can be done at anytime prior to delivery. He said to wait and apply for financing when I get a VIN#. (which i already knew)

I asked him about the steering wheel and he did not have a direct answer, but he mentioned that what he has heard is it is supposed to be an option that will be presented soon, but apparently Tesla is still waiting on one Government agency to sign off on the Yoke. They have both production lines ready and it could go either way. He thinks it wont be approved and all will ship with normal wheels.. Anyways, from my past experience, no employees at Tesla really know whats up so I'm sure alot of this is speculation on his part.

Finally got a call from the sales manager yesterday! He told me they just got the word that Plaid Models will start general production next week, followed by long range. He expected the first deliveries to begin around the week of March 8th. Also said not to pay attention to the Tesla emails, as long as you upload your title info, (copy of license) and choose delivery location you are in line at Freemont. The rest can be done at anytime prior to delivery. He said to wait and apply for financing when I get a VIN#. (which i already knew)

I asked him about the steering wheel and he did not have a direct answer, but he mentioned that what he has heard is it is supposed to be an option that will be presented soon, but apparently Tesla is still waiting on one Government agency to sign off on the Yoke. They have both production lines ready and it could go either way. He thinks it wont be approved and all will ship with normal wheels.. Anyways, from my past experience, no employees at Tesla really know whats up so I'm sure alot of this is speculation on his part.

I understand Tesla producing the more expensive Plaid for a 1Q crunch time report - more money per unit/time. However, that would be at the expense of those that had orders in for the LR model before the refresh. If that is truly the case, that would show how much Tesla values customer loyalty over profits. Yes, they are in for profits (as they should be as a business), but this would be a short term profit boost and will not be forgotten in the long term when there are more alternatives in the marketplace.

Reactions: AMP85D and 46&2
I understand Tesla producing the more expensive Plaid for a 1Q crunch time report - more money per unit/time. However, that would be at the expense of those that had orders in for the LR model before the refresh. If that is truly the case, that would show how much Tesla values customer loyalty over profits. Yes, they are in for profits (as they should be as a business), but this would be a short term profit boost and will not be forgotten in the long term when there are more alternatives in the marketplace.
That quarter related thinking is an ongoing stupidity. As if it mattered, on the long term, whether a 'garanteed' profit is made on March 28th vs. April 3rd, or so.

It would even be easier to declare a slighly bigger loss in the Model S/X departement, where everyone can see no cars have been produced, yet sold, for most of the quarter, and then present a bigger profit in Q2: "See, after re-starting production, and selling, people can't wait to send money!"

But, badly, it never goes like that. They deliver as many as possible, of the newer, higher priced Plaid models, to show "a little less a mess a loss" in Q1, and the respective lower possible profit in Q2. Too bad one has to do business like that...

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I love when people use the terms "concerning" and "unsettling" related to when they get their 1 percenter cars. Its not groceries or electricity (well not really). I have 1 on order and could care less when it comes, it does when it does and no concerns. Now, I am excited and want it, but its not concerning.

How do you know my life is not unsettlingly difficult driving this Rover until the Model S comes? Just sayin' :)

There are guys flying drones over the Fremont plant, and people who take pictures of the plant parking lot. We see photos of cars on car carriers headed to the railheads and loading docks for the cargo ships.

Not a single one has had a Model S refresh on it.

If they are producing lots and lots of cars, they sure are good about keeping them hidden.

OTOH, the Tesla sales advisor told me I'd get a VIN just as the car was starting production. That was true when my last 3 Teslas were produced in 2013, 2018, and 2019. I have yet to get a VIN from my Dec 20 order.

I'm really concerned that there is a huge production delay, and if it is a 2 month delay that's going to impact the Model S and X sales figures significantly for Q1.
And I would like Tesla to fuss as needed to make and deliver cars with minimum problems so owners will be happy and there will be good reviews leading to further sales.

And I would like Tesla to fuss as needed to make and deliver cars with minimum problems so owners will be happy and there will be good reviews leading to further sales.

That is just crazy talk...

iu

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and TurboBear
I love when people use the terms "concerning" and "unsettling" related to when they get their 1 percenter cars. Its not groceries or electricity (well not really). I have 1 on order and could care less when it comes, it does when it does and no concerns. Now, I am excited and want it, but its not concerning.

Well if your lease is up and you are going from having a car to not while you live in a place without great public transportation(worse in pandemic) it can be a bit "concerning" or "unsettling" to not have a vehicle even though you planned ahead. Everyone's situation is different depending on where they live and their current situation.

Also if you're coming from a "piece of shat car" to a more reliable vehicle

Lastly it may be because you have nothing else to obsess over currently :)

I placed a new order for my first Tesla (the Long Range version) on 2/8. I believe it originally said "March" and then later switched to "3/1-3/31", and now back to "March". As a software developer, my guess is someone recently messed up the web site code that replaces a date range like "3/1-3/31" with "March" for simplicity. Once they noticed it not working, they probably went and fixed the problem. That kind of stuff happens all the time in software.