Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
looks like they updated the Model S LR range for the arachnid wheels. Its 350 for the plaid.
View attachment 644027
Good catch! That is almost exactly what I’d estimated. I’m glad they’re putting that on there now.

Think I’m sticking with the base wheels at least to start. Thinking about possibly painting or powder-coating them black. At some point may switch to something like the Uberturbines if/when available.

Reactions: lzolman
Is it just because of the weight of the wheels? That seems like a big difference in mileage

more air can get trapped (less aerodynamic), because of the size, more energy is lost from regen, rotational inertia...technically, the car accelerates slower, too lol...wish they could figure out how to make black or dark colored aero wheels. I don't hate the gemini personally, but hate the color.

Reactions: lzolman
Perfect. Between this change and the app update, looks like something is in motion! Question: does the fremont factory run 24/7 for any lines? Or is it only open Monday thru Friday?
Prior to retooling S/X lines were only running 1 shift. If they fixed the ‘many details’ nothing stops them to bring a second one to speed up production if the supply chain is in place and the manufacturing steps well oiled... They would do that if they can deliver significant amount before end of Q1. That’s a lots of ‘if’, I don’t really expect my car before end April/May at this point, let alone production directed for EU at the start of each quarter.

more air can get trapped (less aerodynamic), because of the size, more energy is lost from regen, rotational inertia...technically, the car accelerates slower, too lol...wish they could figure out how to make black or dark colored aero wheels. I don't hate the gemini personally, but hate the color.

How much does the sticky compound of the 21's contributes to the loss? If a good set of low rolling resistance all season were mounted on the 21's, would you gain back efficiency?

Think the 19 looks out of place on the S and the aeros are just fully on it.

How does that 30-40 mile really matter in the real practical world?

How much does the sticky compound of the 21's contributes to the loss? If a good set of low rolling resistance all season were mounted on the 21's, would you gain back efficiency?

Think the 19 looks out of place on the S and the aeros are just fully on it.

How does that 30-40 mile really matter in the real practical world?
Weight is also a big factor. The 19” wheels are much lighter than the prior 21” wheels that came on the S. When I changed my 21” turbines for 21” Arachnids, my efficiency definitely got better. The Arachnids are about 10lbs lighter per wheel which is significant. The car felt a bit quicker but maybe it was in my head idk.
The 21” Arachnids weigh about the same as the 19” wheels, but the 19” will still be a bit more efficient. However, the gap isn’t as great compared to heavier 21” wheels.
I don’t think tires contribute to the loss. Just my opinion though. Love the look of the 21s but potholes become an issue. Tires wear out faster for 21” and are a lot more expensive too. It’s a tough decision..

Last edited:
Reactions: elguapo
So if the 21" and 19" oem wheels weigh approx the same, the reduction is deficiency would be the wheel aerodynamics, weight of the tire, or tire compound. These items would cause negligible reduction in regenerative braking, correct?

I am getting the 21" arachnids. Would putting on different tires have that much improvement in efficiency? Do not need the ultra performance summer tires that will come with the vehicle.

So if the 21" and 19" oem wheels weigh approx the same, the reduction is deficiency would be the wheel aerodynamics, weight of the tire, or tire compound. These items would cause negligible reduction in regenerative braking, correct?

I am getting the 21" arachnids. Would putting on different tires have that much improvement in efficiency? Do not need the ultra performance summer tires that will come with the vehicle.
Here is a link to a 2017 Electrek article and a related post that answers your questions.
Basically, it’s just physics
Outer diameter should be essentially the same. Range killer with the larger wheels is predominately weight increase. There is probably some inefficiency too with the stiffer sidewalls on the larger tires, but not nearly as significant factor.

It's all about rotational mass and moment of inertia. Metal weighs more than rubber and with larger diameter wheels, the rotational mass moves out further from the rotation centerline. Under steady state speeds, i.e.highway, this difference isn't too significant. Stop and go traffic or city driving is where this difference will be much more prevalent. It will use more energy to start the wheel rolling. Heavier wheel would help with regen, but will expend more than is recouped.

So yes, a lighter 22" wheel would not have near a penalty, but will most likely always still be slightly more inefficient. Laws of physics can't be violated. I suppose it is theoretically possible to have a larger wheel with lower moment of inertia, but would be highly unusual.

Well the 21” Arachnids I had (1st generation) weighed about the same as the 19” wheels. The situation seems a bit different with the 2nd generation Arachnids on the refresh Model S because they’re a bit wider. 1st gen arachnids were 8.5” front with 245-35-21 and a 9” rear with 265-35-21.
The 2nd gen Arachnids have a 265-35-21 front tire so prob 9” and I think the rear has 295-35-21 so prob 10”. To make a long story short, the new Arachnids probably weigh a little more than the 1st gen which means they’re prob a little heavier than the 19” Tempest wheels on the refresh. The tires on the 19” refresh Model S are 255-45-R19 and the wheels are 8.5” which are a little wider than the 8” wheel and 245-45-19 on the current model S.
In conclusion: the 19” choice is probably wiser but the Arachnids are gonna look pretty sweet with 295s. I’d go with Arachnids.

Well the 21” Arachnids I had (1st generation) weighed about the same as the 19” wheels. The situation seems a bit different with the 2nd generation Arachnids on the refresh Model S because they’re a bit wider. 1st gen arachnids were 8.5” front with 245-35-21 and a 9” rear with 265-35-21.
The 2nd gen Arachnids have a 265-35-21 front tire so prob 9” and I think the rear has 295-35-21 so prob 10”. To make a long story short, the new Arachnids probably weigh a little more than the 1st gen which means they’re prob a little heavier than the 19” Tempest wheels on the refresh. The tires on the 19” refresh Model S are 255-45-R19 and the wheels are 8.5” which are a little wider than the 8” wheel and 245-45-19 on the current model S.
In conclusion: the 19” choice is probably wiser but the Arachnids are gonna look pretty sweet with 295s. I’d go with Arachnids.
Has the wheel size been verified, and what tires come on the 19s?

As we all are waiting and waiting and waiting ~~~~ for our new S’s, I was wondering what upgrades, add on’s, accessories, etc are you all contemplating now or when they become available. I have my Gen 3 wall charger and usb drive but that’s it.
I'm guessing my 2015 MS trunk/frunk Matts, and sunshades won't fit, at least some of them, so I will need to get those...Hoping the roof rack fits. It will look pretty sick with red exterior and blacked out trim I think.

I'd like to get all weather floor mats, and a trunk mat as well. My bike is going to be going in the car a few times a week, so need the back of the seats protected. And a screen protector, as soon as someone makes one that fits. Otherwise, I'm actually happy to not have to buy a bunch of accessories like my model 3.

In addition to the screen protector and all weather floormats, for my Model 3 I bought:

JEDA hub (because, no wireless charging and not enough USB plugins)
A center console wrap (seeing the piano black console now in the model y on the showroom floors - it truly looks hideous and cheap)
A small divider for the center console
A cover for the air filter (the stock one was poor designed, let in leaves)
Extra rubber trim for door seals
rubber thing to go into the glass roof

Yeah, looking back now, all of this shouldve been a sign maybe to wait until they work on some stuff lol. But that is also the good thing about Tesla (and hoping it applies to the new Model S)...they do eventually realize gaps in quality/performance and attempt to address them. I test drove a new model 3 a few weeks back because I was bored - it felt way different in terms of road noise/wind noise and the stock interior was much nicer. Matte black finishes and extra soft touch padding in places.

An alternate question for you all: which new feature are you looking forward to the most?

For me
, the biggest selling piece of the new Model S is the active noise cancelling. I've never been in a car with it (IF YOU HAVE, I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS), but watching some demos on youtube for other similar features made it seem like it really makes a difference for wind/road noise.

I absolutely cannot stand wind and road noise and my Model 3 was actually better than my old car, but on many pavements and at many speeds, it was definitely loud (pre dual pane windows though). I'm going to be putting miles on the Model S, many on the hwy with road trips more than 24 hours round trip. I need it to be very quiet and smooth.

Last edited:
Has the wheel size been verified, and what tires come on the 19s?
If you look very carefully, you can see the wheel size on the pics of the front wheel. I can’t make out the rear but I checked on tirerack and Michelin doesn’t make a 285-35-21 nor a 305-35-21 so I’m just guessing it’s a 295-35-21 rear but Idk for sure.
On the 19s, It’s a Pirelli P-Zero 255-45-R19 (104y)

Attachments

• F143541A-9575-4D4C-A174-FC49FE438345.jpeg
    F143541A-9575-4D4C-A174-FC49FE438345.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 9748DE63-6011-4769-9C5C-B1078A9FB11C.jpeg
    9748DE63-6011-4769-9C5C-B1078A9FB11C.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited: